$30.00
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone observed what's the correlation between the type of attack you do and the type of check you get for it?

After a couple of games it seems pretty random to me, but maybe there's some rhyme or reason behind it?

What do you think? Do heavy weapon attacks lead to strength checks more often than not? Is it more likely to get an agility check when you attempt a bladed weapon attack? And do you think the occasional lore or observation check for an attack are more frequent for specific types of monsters?

As I said at this point it looks rather random and unpredictable and it frequently lead to surprising checks and thus throwing less dice than anticipated...

Any observations you may share are greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
iffo wrote:
Has anyone observed what's the correlation between the type of attack you do and the type of check you get for it?

After a couple of games it seems pretty random to me, but maybe there's some rhyme or reason behind it?

What do you think? Do heavy weapon attacks lead to strength checks more often than not? Is it more likely to get an agility check when you attempt a bladed weapon attack? And do you think the occasional lore or observation check for an attack are more frequent for specific types of monsters?

As I said at this point it looks rather random and unpredictable and it frequently lead to surprising checks and thus throwing less dice than anticipated...

Any observations you may share are greatly appreciated.

If you really want to know you can use valkyrie (https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases) to extract all the attack text and see for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I wouldn't want to completely unveil the magic behind the app yet. I am just curious if it's all random or the stats actually matter.

Good work on the tool, I'll definitely try it after a couple more games. If you need any help with the UI/UX for the app, let me know. I may be able to help.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
iffo wrote:
If you need any help with the UI/UX for the app, let me know. I may be able to help.

Cheers!

Happy to accept pull requests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of this is fairly straightforward. You can't guarantee what check you will get. But it usually makes thematic sense.

Heavy weapons have a lot of strength checks with the odd agility and willpower (that I've seen).

Bladed weapons have a lot of agility checks with the odd strength and observation.

Firearms seem to largely be agility as well with the odd willpower and observation.

Spells are always willpower or lore.

I don't know anything about unarmed because I don't attack unarmed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I figured it SHOULD be like, yet during our last game we got so many weird checks that I started suspecting the app of complete randomness! We even got an Influence check for one the attacks (one of the two total influence checks for the whole game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also depends on the monster, for example attacking ghost with weapon could result in talking to it insread with a influence check required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ghost example is a good one. If you can help it, don't try to do things that would otherwise seem ineffective. Star spawn? You PROBABLY don't want to fistfight it.

Ghost? Maybe you should perform a ritual rather than try to shank it with a broken whiskey bottle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
The ghost example is a good one. If you can help it, don't try to do things that would otherwise seem ineffective. Star spawn? You PROBABLY don't want to fistfight it.

Ghost? Maybe you should perform a ritual rather than try to shank it with a broken whiskey bottle.

Trying to hit a ghost with a heavy weapon can lead to some pretty hilarious checks, however... we killed one with a 5-success influence check once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grey Fox
Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
amodman wrote:
Spells are always willpower or lore.

I've actually gotten an Agility check for a spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unarmed attacks can provoke any of the skills. Often a successful unarmed attack is on par with a successful strength 1 or 2 weapon attack. The biggest benefit of those weapons is not so much the expected damage of successful attacks, but playing on your stronger skills to increase the success chance. A well balanced character like Yorik or Phan can confidently attack unarmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a combination of weapon and monster type. If you fight a monster who uses physical fighting skills agility and strength will be used more often. If you shoot with a gun observation is more often. If you use a spell lore is more often. If you fight a ghost influence or lore are more often. It really just depends and it's not always the case, it is just more often the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.