12 Posts

The Colonists» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 questions about introductory scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played The Colonists tonight for the first time, and had 2 questions (for now).

First we played as Alice and Bob through the introductory scenario as described. In the fifth winter round, Alice exchanges 4 wood for 2 coins at the market. But at that moment, her storage was filled up with clay and she had to take the wood from the buffer of her Forester's Houses. Is that allowed?

Then we set up the game like Alice and Bob's, but played it ourselves. We came across a situation where we could not use a certain place (e.g. The Builder for the Library after you've built it already, since you can only have 1 of those). In that situation, can you move to that tile and just not do the action or is it forbidden to move to the tile at all?

Apart from those two questions, we had a great experience. We plan to do Medium and Hard difficulty levels of the introductory scenario next, and then add the Colony's to the first era. But already we can't wait for the second era. Great job, Tim Puls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a copy of the game yet, but I'm trying to track Alice's board from 4th winter and play it through in my head.

It might be possible. While you cannot sell or use any resources in your buffers on the production tiles, you may move them freely into storage. Since Alice spent two planks, there may be space to move wood from the factories into storage and sell it. If she was using a Market Action, she could have done that up to three times.

The rules say you can only use goods in your storage and you may not use or sell goods in your buffers on production tiles. You may rearrange goods immediately before you carry out an action.

So, if you have spare space in storage and take a market action, you can move wood into storage, sell it, move more wood into storage and sell it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In reading through the intro scenario, I had a similar question. In the first Winter round, the scenario states that Alice may not use the food from her warehouse to pay Bob when she moves into his space. So, she swaps the clay in her storage with the food in the warehouse, and the food is then available to be used for payment. It goes on to state that "You may move goods back and forth between your storage and warehouse at any time, except during an action." So in theory, After paying Bob using the food from her storage, she could then pick up that clay that she had swapped into her warehouse, and move it back into her storage. The net result of all this is that she basically paid Bob with the food that was in her warehouse, so what is the point of the restriction? Am I missing something in the transaction? Why is the swap even necessary, if you can swap right back afterwards?

Edit - reading this example is a bit confusing, even to me, so let me present a somewhat simplified example, which may help to reveal where my misunderstanding lies, if this is indeed the case:

I have one Storage Building, and thus 5 storage slots between that and my basic storage. They are all 5 full of wood. I have one food in my warehouse. I want to use the food to pay for something, but I (apparently) cannot pull it out of the warehouse for this purpose. If I understand correctly, I can swap the food for one of the wood, use the food from storage, then move the wood from the warehouse back into storage. Is this right, and if so, why is the extra step of swapping goods necessary, rather than just letting me use the food out of the warehouse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another unrelated question from the intro scenario: In the 5th Summer round (page 16), Alice starts out by building 2 farms, but the picture shows her moving to the Librarian tile for her first movement. Should this have shown her moving to the farm Builder tile below the Librarian, or have I missed another method of building farms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a hurry, so this wasn't from the final rules but I don't think it changed:

At any time—except during an action—you may rearrange your goods, i.e. move them between the three storing options
according to certain rules. The following diagram shows the permitted “directions” in which you may move goods:

(Picture of Storage triangle)

You may move goods back and forth between your Storage and Warehouse without any additional restrictions. You may even
swap two or more goods (especially when both, your Storage and Warehouse, are full).

Moving goods into Buffers is never allowed!
You only place goods into Buffers when they are being generated (see “End of a Year” on page 20). From there, you can move
them into your Storage or Warehouse, but never the other way round.

So, I think the restriction is there mainly for the buffers.

Also, it may have an effect on when you shuffle because the line that says you cannot rearrange DURING an action, only immediately before. If you're doing something that requires more than one resource and you forget to move it out of your warehouse, then you wouldn't be able to take that action in that instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:

So, if you have spare space in storage and take a market action, you can move wood into storage, sell it, move more wood into storage and sell it, too.

That's the thing, I don't think you can do that. The rulebook states on page 12 that 'carrying out a Place's action is considered one action - regardless of how many micro-transactions were made in the process'

So you need to rearrange goods before doing the action, the action being in this case 'selling 4 wood for 2 coins'. Therefore, all 4 wood should be in the storage in order to be able to sell them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tazzmann wrote:
I have one Storage Building, and thus 5 storage slots between that and my basic storage. They are all 5 full of wood. I have one food in my warehouse. I want to use the food to pay for something, but I (apparently) cannot pull it out of the warehouse for this purpose. If I understand correctly, I can swap the food for one of the wood, use the food from storage, then move the wood from the warehouse back into storage. Is this right, and if so, why is the extra step of swapping goods necessary, rather than just letting me use the food out of the warehouse?

Paying the Fee is considered an action of its own (page 12 of the rulebook). So in that case it's indeed not very restrictive if you can swap things in and out of the warehouse. But if your storage capacity is only 5 and you want for example build a factory, you can't since of the 3 wood and 3 clay it costs, you only have 5 available to pay with, even if the missing good is in your warehouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tazzmann wrote:
Another unrelated question from the intro scenario: In the 5th Summer round (page 16), Alice starts out by building 2 farms, but the picture shows her moving to the Librarian tile for her first movement. Should this have shown her moving to the farm Builder tile below the Librarian, or have I missed another method of building farms?

In my intro scenario booklet, Alice does move to the Builder... But you can't build a farm at the Librarian, you only draw cards there. If you have a card that lets you build a farm, you can play that card at the Developer and build a farm in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Anny48 wrote:

Then we set up the game like Alice and Bob's, but played it ourselves. We came across a situation where we could not use a certain place (e.g. The Builder for the Library after you've built it already, since you can only have 1 of those). In that situation, can you move to that tile and just not do the action or is it forbidden to move to the tile at all?

The rule says that it is not allowed to have more than 1 library due to the 1x. That means, if you have to move to the library builder again, you have to pay 2 more tools to raze the old library before you build the new library ( library 2.0 ).
forecast: there will be scenarios that rely on this mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wredo wrote:
Anny48 wrote:

The rule says that it is not allowed to have more than 1 library due to the 1x. That means, if you have to move to the library builder again, you have to pay 2 more tools to raze the old library before you build the new library ( library 2.0 ).
forecast: there will be scenarios that rely on this mechanism.

That is an option, hadn't thought of that yet. But if you really can't do the action on a place, is it forbidden to move there?

Can you also confirm whether there is indeed a mistake in the introductory scenario as I mentioned in my original post? We think that Alice couldn't have sold her four wood in the last round. Otherwise we have made a mistake while playing it through. We would just like to know which is the case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Anny48 wrote:

That is an option, hadn't thought of that yet. But if you really can't do the action on a place, is it forbidden to move there?

That is correct and is one of the main rules.

Anny48 wrote:

Can you also confirm whether there is indeed a mistake in the introductory scenario as I mentioned in my original post? We think that Alice couldn't have sold her four wood in the last round. Otherwise we have made a mistake while playing it through. We would just like to know which is the case

No, I'm sorry. In the end Alice has a storage capacity of 9. And only 1 clay and 1 food are in the storage (1 clay is on the extra clay pit). That means 7 free storage spaces. The warehouse is empty, too. For now I would say you have made somewhere a small mistake.
Please check the following:
- The clay of the extra clay pit can be stored on the extra building (same as normal production buildings.)
- Did you activate the third storage shed by one of the new 2 farmers?
- Did you remove 2 foods after having put the 2 citizens onto the factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answers, Tim! I guess we made a mistake there indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.