$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Hanabi» Forums » General

Subject: Does the replayability of this drop off when you score 30 points or so? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume players who max it out would be less inclined to want to play this but I dont own this so I wouldnt know.

Also how many plays did it take you to get 30?

Do you get 30 consistently or ateast consistently close?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten several Max scores ( 35 or so ). I still play this game ( 7 times this friday ). The more I play with the same players, the more I consider it a "loss" if I get less than 28. We talk about the challenges the deck gave us and the end of each game, and how to solve those problem.

This is one of the games I geek out about... so I may be an exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
I assume players who max it out would be less inclined to want to play this but I dont own this so I wouldnt know.

Well, my group still plays this about once a week and we have over 700 plays. If you don't play with advanced clues (finesse, reverse, bluff, etc) I can see how it might get old.

NowOrNever88 wrote:
Also how many plays did it take you to get 30?

If my records are close, about 65 games before a perfect 25. We might have had one earlier that I failed to record. This was followed closely by a six suit 30. We also didn't know about advanced clues during this time. I now believe that the six suit game is easier than the five suit game.

It took us about another 60 games to get a perfect multi-color 30 (where the rainbow suit assumes all colors).

NowOrNever88 wrote:
Do you get 30 consistently or at least consistently close?

I think we get a 30 every 7-8 games or so. We also still totally bomb out from time to time because either the cards just conspire against us, someone makes a critical cluing error, or both.

I still find very interesting situations where you have to be creative about your clues. We wouldn't keep coming back for more if it wasn't challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
advanced clues (finesse, reverse, bluff, etc)

Where can I read about these "advanced clues"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Kubigaruma wrote:
advanced clues (finesse, reverse, bluff, etc)

Where can I read about these "advanced clues"?

Right here on boardgamegeek.

There are also videos showing them in practice: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/84411/hanabi/game-curmudgeon...

If you have played before and already know the rules, you can skip to the actual game at 15:06. You might find it helpful to read about the logic of finesse before viewing so that you can follow along with his commentary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
It stayed interesting for my regular play group, but we did eventually take out a 1-4 of multicolor from the deck and we discussed the idea of putting those back in and removing 1-4 each in a different color.

At this point I have more than 700 plays logged, but I still want to play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We are still playing it 3-4 times per week, so it hasn't bored us yet. We get perfect games from time to time, but personally I don't usually care about our score. I find that the "puzzle" is always challenging me, so it makes me want to continue playing.

If you get to a point where you are scoring 30 too often (25 with the standard 5 colors), then you can make it more difficult with the variations included in the rules. We actually play a combination of those variants so we only have 1 of each rainbow card, and they are clued as every color (ie you can't clue them as their own unique rainbow color). This has proven to be challenging enough for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.