Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love Firefly the series,I really enjoyed Legendary Aliens and Predator. Predator is wicked hard but Aliens, at least in solo mode is not bad. Legendary seems to get harder with more players.

At least Firefly gives you a few turns for free if playing with more than 3 to make up for the difficulty BUT, man, the solo game with one other character is rough.

Now admittedly I have only played it once but imagine my surprise when on the first episode I get an alliance ship for 10, count them, 10 damage, on top of this it increases all other alliance ships by one damage. There is no way to possibly beat this ship unless you get extremely lucky and it comes out toward the end of the episode.

You just haven't had time to build a hand to achieve those kind of attack numbers. And since your ship can only take 5 hits, you spend your recruit points on repairing the ship, if possible, and not on recruiting for some big damage. Eventually the ship just goes down.

What are some decent strategies here? It seems like it's just play and hope for some luck when the ship appears. If it towards the end of the episode you might have time to build a decent attack hand, otherwise roll over.At least in Aliens you had time to build before they hit you with those kind of numbers. I really want to like this game but man the difficulty is brutal.

As I said, only played it once so far but this ship showed up before my salvage so couldn't even get the extra talent, that might have come in handy. Not sure I like the losing on the first episode thing, I haven't looked ahead,(I like to be surprised) but usually it just gets harder as you go. The win rate on this one must be pretty low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion- keep playing and build a strategy.

I played an episode recently that had a ship strike in the episode deck that requires 9 money to repair, and you can't complete the episode until it's repaired. At first, our impression was "well that's a total load of crap." But later, we revealed a card that allowed us to repair the strike without paying its cost.

Then, to our surprise, a nearly identical situation happened when we were forced to more or less reduce the amount of spaces in the verse, which made it to where enemies progressed much faster into the combat zone. The cost to get rid of those cards was pretty steep as you had to pay quite a bit of recruit AND have emptied verse areas, which requires quite a bit of attack too. But yet again, there was a card that helped us through this that we had to reveal in the verse.

Also, we have realized that in Firefly you really do have to pick and choose your team much more so than Alien or Predator where it was common to just use the characters from the corresponding movie with the same objective deck. You'll also learn when to and when not to scan things. For example, we learned quickly in Alien to avoid scanning cards in objective 1 of the first movie unless the next player had at least 3 attack in hand, which avoided us from becoming impregnated by a facehugger as the next person would be able to kill it.

Finally, some objectives require you to be attack-heavy whereas others require you to be recruit-heavy. Knowing what cards are coming up will help you prepare. For example, I wouldn't put Simon in the deck of cards you'll be recruiting for this 10 damage ship. Instead, I'd be using characters like Jayne to rack up attack quick (or maybe you use Mal's cards to recruit and Jayne as your main character for his talent's ability to add extra attack), and I would also be using Kaylee's cards to recruit so that you can hopefully heal ship strikes which you will likely be taking.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've always thought that having that enemy ship in an A episode is crazy.
and putting it in the first episode that players are likely to start out with is even crazier.

As far as strategy in that first episode, the only thing I can suggest is doing your best to keep things from hitting the Combat Zone. That keeps the ships from striking you (though you are still at risk of sniper hits)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Imtylerdurden, I forgot to mention that I was playing solo using two characters. How many are in your group and have you beaten the first episodes A & B? If so, how many tries did it take, if you can remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jay, have you beaten the first 3 episodes?

I watched the reviews and was really excited for this. I'm not OCD but I like to play the episodes in order. It looks like it may be awhile before I move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We almost always play legendary as a husband wife game. I believe we beat it on the first go around, if I'm not mistaken. But I would say we've played the first scenario around 3 times in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish my wife would play games with me. cry At least she doesn't mind me buying the occasionally game.

Beat the first 3 eps on two handed play in my first game. The big alliance ship did not appear so that helped a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mb
I'm playing solo with two avatars, working my way through the episodes with the suggested characters. I'm finding the first 5 episodes a walk in the park, too easy in fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Snowman wrote:
I'm playing solo with two avatars, working my way through the episodes with the suggested characters. I'm finding the first 5 episodes a walk in the park, too easy in fact.

Either you're very lucky, or you're not implementing some of the rules/mechanics correctly.
Though if you're finding things too easy, I suggest utilizing some of the options listed on page 23 of the rulebook to increase difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, this is why people say "don't review a game after one play through."

I've since played it 3 more times. Twice using two characters (Mal and Zoe for one game and Mal and Jayne for my 2nd game) Jayne ended up killing Mal with a couple of flaw cards and bad crew strike cards. I did manage to get quite far in the game.

3rd game I played with just one character, Jayne. His talent is huge and if you get talent for completing an episode, he gets it all, that makes him a killing machine. I played that if he gets a flaw he injures himself. I started by concentrating on buying power so just got a bunch of brown coats and then went for damage. The alliance mother ship (whatever it's called, the one for 10 damage) didn't even show on this game.

I was a killing machine, on one draw I had like 12 points of damage and I also was getting up to 8 or nine for buying. Unfortunately I let the medical supplies reach the last space, reasoning that scanning things for two instead of three would be helpful. Again, unfortunately the skyhook was the next to last card and behind that was Crow. I stupidly bought before I scanned so I couldn't get the supplies this turn. Next turn saw only three purchasing and Only 6 strikes and no talent to give me that extra 3. Next turn the supplies were lost as they were pushed out of the verse. The only cards left on the board were Crow and the inevitable.

So, a I still haven't won it but I can see that it is do-able. My first game saw that huge alliance ship for 10 and it got in the combat zone and I died right quick and I thought "that's ridiculous!" But subsequent plays show you just have to keep scanning and removing cards to avoid that thing getting to the combat zone. You will occasionally lose to it but it's certainly not going to be the norm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob gabriels
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
I wish my wife would play games with me. cry At least she doesn't mind me buying the occasionally game.

Beat the first 3 eps on two handed play in my first game. The big alliance ship did not appear so that helped a lot.

Thanx, I did not know you could end the episode by completing its objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
Now admittedly I have only played it once but imagine my surprise when on the first episode I get an alliance ship for 10, count them, 10 damage, on top of this it increases all other alliance ships by one damage. There is no way to possibly beat this ship unless you get extremely lucky and it comes out toward the end of the episode.

We are a Legendary Encounters loving household, and my wife is an OTT Firefly fan so we were so excited for this it was palpable. I got this, spent 5 hours sorting and sleeving. I made custom dividers which I then laminated and prepared, got everything ready.

Then we setup, went through the rules changes, were really excited. And the first card we revealed from the Verse was that ship. And we were instantly deflated... what the actual hell. We lost before the end of the first episode, and we play a LOT of LE.

We decided to try again, and we got through the first episode by the skin of our teeth (that ship was 2nd card revealed), and we lost because we spent the rest of the game trying to recover.

After months of hype, heaps of time preparing, lots of excitement. The game hasn't hit the table again.

I could say that this one card completely ruined the game for us. It's probable, even likely that the rest of the game is well designed, but as we were hyped to play through the story, and we can't do that because this one card is a complete blocker; we just keep deciding to put other, better games on the table.

I don't recommend this game to people. The other to LE games, sure, but not this one. All because of that one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
That was my main complaint too. I get around it by using other episodes to introduce new players to the game, instead of the Serenity eps. (heck, if FOX can air the series out of order when it first came on, I can play LE:Ff out of order too. haha)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.