Royals» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens if you run out of cubes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Denny
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Playing a 3 player game, we all have an equal number of cubes. One of our players ran out of cubes before the game was over. He had placed them all, but the other players still had cubes left. What happens if a player can no longer place cubes? Are they just out and can't do anything? Do they still draw cards? The rule book doesn't describe this possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
denn2842 wrote:
Playing a 3 player game, we all have an equal number of cubes. One of our players ran out of cubes before the game was over. He had placed them all, but the other players still had cubes left. What happens if a player can no longer place cubes? Are they just out and can't do anything? Do they still draw cards? The rule book doesn't describe this possibility.

That's surprising. Did you take back cubes when you had multiple kicked out at the same city? You only need to leave one cube per city to keep track of which cities you've been in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Denny
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
One player had 2 dead nobles in Bordeaux and one player had 2 dead nobles in Avignon. But other than those two, everyone only ever had 1 dead noble in any given cathedral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you reduce the deck size?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I don't believe it's possible, or at least highly unlikely, to run out of cubes. But if you do, I'd suggest either ...

Using another cube color not currently in the game

OR

Even better, taking off as many possible cubes as possible from the Tile Scoring Marker Tiles. The number of cubes don't matter on these tiles, only if someone has majority or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Denny
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
You know what, the person who taught us to play didn't remove any cards so the game likely ended up longer than it should have been. So that might be it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Burkhardsmeier
United States
Fergus Falls,
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a very nice chart in the front of the rule book that lets you know how many cards to remove at lower player counts.
Like said before make sure only one cube in each catacomb.
If for some reason that still happens you could place a coin/s on a end game noble marker. You should have 40 cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played highly aggressive games of Royal with all player counts. As long you as reduce the deck as instructed for player counts under 5 you should never run out of cubes. If you played a 3 player game with a 5 player deck then you would likely run out (and be playing a game other than what the designer intended).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marzzacco
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played a 2 player game yesterday and removed all of the cards we were supposed to and both of us ran out of cubes towards the end of the game. We only had 1 cube in any given city but because it was only a 2 player game we spread out across the entire map and simply didnt have enough cubes. We ended up taking 2 other colors and used those to finish the game, but i thought it was very strange you could run out of cubes in this game. I'm guessing its a 2 player only issue as long as you remove the correct number of cards at all player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
rmarzzac wrote:
I played a 2 player game yesterday and removed all of the cards we were supposed to and both of us ran out of cubes towards the end of the game. We only had 1 cube in any given city but because it was only a 2 player game we spread out across the entire map and simply didnt have enough cubes. We ended up taking 2 other colors and used those to finish the game, but i thought it was very strange you could run out of cubes in this game. I'm guessing its a 2 player only issue as long as you remove the correct number of cards at all player counts.

1) Make sure you are playing with the colors (black and white in my version) designated for use in a 2-player game, as there are more cubes in those colors.

2) You can always remove cubes from the tile markers that designate who is in the lead for placing on the different characters. This is because the number of cubes don't matter, only majority.

So, for example, if you both have the same amount of cubes on the Duke tile ... remove them all (except for 1 each, because there is a bonus for placing on every tile) back into each players supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
2) You can always remove cubes from the tile markers that designate who is in the lead for placing on the different characters. This is because the number of cubes don't matter, only majority.

While I understand the intent here, it doesn't actually work out that way.

If I have 5 cubes on a Baron, and another player has 1. I have the majority, but it's also harder for the other player to overtake me. If we reduce this to 2 and 1, showing I still have majority, it's now MUCH easier for the other player to overtake majority.

Also the rules state, that the cubes on the titles stay until the end of the game, they are not intended to be removed.

I see no clause in the rulebook that deals with running out of cubes. I see no clause in the rulebook that says to remove cubes from cathedrals or titles in the case of running out.

I played a two player game last night, where 1 player ran out of cubes at the start of the 3rd period, and I ran out about half way into the third period.

We played with 46 cubes each in white and black. We removed all the cards as explained by the table in set up from the deck. We didn't have more than 1 of our own cubes in any single cathedral.

I think this is not an edge case, and I would like an official ruling on what to do in this case, as I don't think the suggestion for removing from titles works, as in my example, it's not as cut and dry. And running out of cubes feels very anti-climactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.