$20.00
$15.00
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most other games I can play at meetups and such, but this is one of the ones like Legacy games or giant board like Crokinole and Pitchcar that people just dont bring to meetups.

Is there a way to test out the game before I buy to check if I like it?

I have watched the Rahdo Run Through, played a little on Mystery.io, and read a fair number of mystery books (though I prefer Agatha Christie and her Poirot by far over Conan Doyle and his Sherlock), and mystery is one of my favorite genres.

Is there any sample print and plays or anything to try to find out a real true feel for the game and whether Id like to play it?

---

As a small aside, the number of threads and posts on the new edition/all the cases and publishers kinda confuse me with what is new and when. Would anything be able to give a concise summary of this game's history please? Will give GG for a good answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a fan of mysteries and deduction, do not hesitate to buy this. It's my favorite game of all time.

I can't give a through history of it. I play from the sets originally put out in the 1980's. My understanding is the reprint by Ystari had some issues that were corrected in a second edition.

With the upcoming expansion set, there is apparently going to be yet another re-release of the original set so the styles of the releases match. If that's something you care about, you might wait until it's released. Regardless of the format, however, it is well worth buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Libůrek Nývltů
Czech Republic
Praha 13
Česká republika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are owner of Tabletop Simulator on Steam, then there are first three cases to try... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702090...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Legacy games or Time Stories, this is a one and done experience.

Do you like mystery novels?

Do you wish you could direct the character instead of reading what the author chose to have them do?

Have you ever been reading/watching a detective story and wondered "What if they went down to talk to Forensics BEFORE interviewing the subject?"

All that said, if someone has a copy in your group you can borrow, they might let you, since if they've already experienced the story, they really cannot do so again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are fan created cases, but I think you need to base game to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do it. The game is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Watry
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
There are standalone fan based games, and they are free for download. But you do need the London Directory to help look up clues in order to play the game. But I know someone has posted a digital version of the directory on one of these posts.

As for the map, for the fan based games, I don't think I've played one where it is required but I haven't played them all yet. The Ogilvie Case comes to mind that I recall where you don't need the map. Most don't require the map.

As long as the case doesn't require any of the other Newspapers (they usually have their own standalone newspapers) and as long as you can get a copy of the directory you should be good to go. Having a copy of the rules/directions helps. Especially if you don't know how to play then you will have to find a copy of those. They include the resources of Allies you need to help you like Mycroft or Scotland Yard. The rules are only a page or two long and are not complicated. But it does help to explain what to do. I would hope there is a link to a copy somewhere. I just looked through the fan based games hoping someone would have typed up the rules and listed the Allies (what each person can support you with like Porky who may supply information about dubious people) but I didn't see any of the cases that includes the rules and list of Allies.

Help from anyone else on a copy of the rules, or if someone posted a picture of the pages? The old and new rules as far as I can tell are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest watching the Shut up and Sit Down Review of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. Best Game Review EVER! The last minute is classic. I bought the game on the spot after seeing that, and am sooooo glad I did!

oaklandsberg wrote:
If you are a fan of mysteries and deduction, do not hesitate to buy this. It's my favorite game of all time.

This. Exactly this! This, without doubt, is my favorite game of all time! And my game collection currently consists of over 250 games!

I contacted Asmodee North America customer service, and they sent me PDFs of the corrected case #'s 3 and 6 to replace the two which had a few translation errors. Unofficial errata also exists on this site, which updates cases 3 and 6, as well as the Times newspapers for cases 5 and 7, which Asmodee didn't correct. I would check out both options. I personally have not yet compared the official and unofficial errata since our group hasn't tackled case #3 yet.

NowOrNever88 wrote:
As a small aside, the number of threads and posts on the new edition/all the cases and publishers kinda confuse me with what is new and when. Would anything be able to give a concise summary of this game's history please? Will give GG for a good answer!

As to the game's history, this is my understanding of it:

The game was released in 1981, and then re-released a year or two later in "binder form." Both of those contained essentially the same material as the Ystari version, but organized differently. All the case clues were together in one booklet. The questions and answers were together in another. The Times newspapers in still another. I much prefer the Ystari approach of a single booklet (with intro, clues, questions, answers, and solution), and a single Times newspaper sheet, per case. Apparently the old 1981 map is superior however.

Here is a Wikipedia article on the game, which briefly describes the original Sleuth 1981 version of the game, the deluxe binder edition, and the original expansions.

There are also six or seven fan-made cases available on this site which work with either version (I believe) of the game, but are formatted to match the newer Ystari version.

The Wikipedia article also mentions three video games based on the original SHCD game which contain live-action-video, released in three volumes from 1991-1993. Each one contains three out of the original 10 (I believe) SHCD cases. Then in 1999, Volume One of the game was released on DVD. it plays in any standard DVD player using your DVD remote. I bought this version on Amazon for like $12 but have yet to play it. I don't want to spoil my plays of the actual game, which is AMAZING by the way.

Frank Overwood wrote:

Listen to him. Just go out and buy it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules: Asmodee PDF

Map: BGG Image

Directory: Spreadsheet (ignore everything except the first 3 columns)

Fan Cases: Geeklist

'Try-it-Out' Case Suggestion: Murder Behind Closed Doors, PDF (no additional newspapers are needed)

Frank Overwood wrote:

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
I would suggest watching the Shut up and Sit Down Review of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. Best Game Review EVER! The last minute is classic. I bought the game on the spot after seeing that, and am sooooo glad I did!

After your review of this review, I watched the review on the spot, and am soooo glad I did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
CavemanLogic wrote:

After your review of this review, I watched the review on the spot, and am soooo glad I did!

You too, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Heitman
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Yup...fellow Agatha Christie fan here. This is your jam. Be sure to play with a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oaklandsberg wrote:
With the upcoming expansion set, there is apparently going to be yet another re-release of the original set so the styles of the releases match. If that's something you care about, you might wait until it's released. Regardless of the format, however, it is well worth buying.

Does anybody know more abou this?

Can anyone tell if the issues with the Ystari edition were crucial?

Thx in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
oaklandsberg wrote:

Does anybody know more abou this?

Can anyone tell if the issues with the Ystari edition were crucial?

Thx in advance!

Most of the issues are not crucial. Cases 3 and 6 have significant problems but can be played with the errata in the files section.

Also, copies of the Ystari version bearing the code "2016-2" are corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.