Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my first game of mare nostrum this evening. Enjoyed it. Greece felt a little pressed, though, due to being within easy access of all empires.

This is somewhat mitigated by Pericles' power, but I wondered what players had found to be an effective winning strategy. It starts off ok, but as the race for final victory gathers pace, it feels like Greece ends up being a little more open to being preyed upon.

I'd love to hear from players who have won with Greece. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Each game varies by the players and what heroes are available. But on average, I think Greece has the second best position in the game.

If you're playing Greece, you're less likely (though it's possible) to go for a Hero or Pyramid victory, because while Greece can accumulate a lot of resources, they're almost evenly split between gold and goods. So a leadership victory or military victory is most likely.

Again, depending on the heroes and the board, I prefer to set up a defensive position in Greece and let Rome expand into southern Europe. You have plenty of other terrain to expand to. Rome is probably the one faction you do not want to get in an unending war with.

Greece has easy access to Troy and does not have a difficult time getting to Syracuse. Greece should concentrate on setting up a defensive perimeter to dissuade invasion (1 fortress + 1 legion) and then concentrate on getting a navy. From Greece's position, a strong navy will let it travel to all sorts of far off lands and pillage or conquer. Their +2 per defensive land roll gives people a disincentive to attack into them. So do everything you can to encourage them to not attack you back.

Long term, look for a snap attack to gain 4 cities or carefully and slowly build yourself up on the leadership track. Both are probably the most viable strategies for Greece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Greece a two times thus far (out of 4 games), both times in a 3-player Greece-Babylon-Egypt setup.

- Egypt is the cultural leader so will take Jerusalem. The fight for Troy with Babylon is a lost one. While you can only pump out 2 units in the 1st round, Babylon can use 3-4 (because of better 3/6 starting resources and Hamilcar's free control marker) depending on who gets to build first, at Egypt's mercy;
- Get Crete as your opponents go for Jerusalem and Troy. Crete has a nice central position that can be handy later in the game. Put a fortress on it when you can;
- You start with 5 coins and 4 commodities. So obviously, building 2 additional caravans is high on your priority list (probably in Dacia and/or Crete);
- Followed by building 1 extra city;
- You will be and stay vulnerable because of your long coastline. Nothing you can do about it. Get a fortress or two to make pillaging your Provinces less worthwhile. It's good to keep a low profile and not attract too much suspicion or attention for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
I would argue you can build the Pyramids as Greece, in a suprise fashion, here is how :

Stay defensive for the first part of the game : accumulate armies while you build up a bit of economy.

For this plan you need to produce 6 coins. You can do so by grabbing either Troy, or Crete or buy Building a temple in Macedonia.

Then you need to get the Millitary leadership. That might be the hardest part of the plan so i would advocate to grab it at the first opportunity and then hold on to it.

Once you are in that position, less experienced players might not be alarmed because you only produce 6 tax. But if you keep two, that's eight. And if you can finish a turn with 3 legions occupying Alexandrie, you've won !!

You can alos pull a simillar win with Hamilcar. You need to not buy any Hero/wonder prior to him. then buy him with ressources (not coin) and Keep two coins, then pillage two minor cities for a + 4 instant coins.

You always need the millitary leadership. I have always screwed up when trying to pull this off, (going for Syracuse last game) so i think if you want to pull it, you need precision and discipline. Also, the faster you pull it, the easier i think.

If you are millitary leader and have 5 ressource production, then there is nothing to stop you from winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Greece win with all victory conditions. In fact, it is the only empire I have seen (thus far, in 14 games) win by all victory conditions.

Victors in 14 Games:
Carthage: 4 (heroes/wonders, pyramids)
Egypt: 2 (heroes/wonders, leadership)
Babylon: 2 (military, pyramids)
Greece: 4 (heroes/wonders, military, leadership, pyramids)
Rome: 1 (pyramids)
Atlas: 1 (military)

I think Greece is in a great position, especially if Babylon isn't in play. No one wants to attack Greece, so the provinces you take usually stick around a while as long as you defend them. I believe that Greece has some options when it comes to victory conditions. They have a relatively balanced assortment of coins and goods so they can pursue the economic victories--but military conquest isn't that hard for them either, with Troy right on the border (if Babylon doesn't take it). They don't start with the disadvantage of having only 1 culture like Rome and Carthage, so they could go for a leadership win as well. The first time I saw a leadership victory in the game it was with Greece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clovis chan
msg tools
I once won a 3p Greece-Egypt-Babylon ("Alternate 3p") by being military and culture leader, then bading Egypt and Babylon to go first, after which I destroyed Babylon's caravans and claimed all 3 Leadership.

I once lost a 3p Rome-Greece-Carthage where Greece was military leader, moved last and pillaged a City for 2 coins to build pyramids next turn. Greece had Temple of Artemis and Hamilcar.

I will disagree with Thaddeus' comment that in Alternate 3p, Greece is vulnerable because of its long coastline. Greece's 'core' is actually easy to defend because with 1 trireme they are all interconnected. If anything, Babylon's borders are the hardest to defend.

The comments above are all very valuable. Build defensively (then navy when you can afford) and look for a way to end (Hamilcar->pillage cities; Military leader->occupy Egypt's 4 coins or occupy 4 legendary cities).Greece is very flexible in that it can possibly win by all 4 methods.

But its weakness is that it starts off slower than the rest (Egypt can runaway with coins, for example). And you might find yourself having to stop others...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.