Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
When describing a game to someone, and especially when teaching it, I find it helpful to compare the game to some other game that people are familiar with. I'll even do that with mechanisms - for example it's a bit of running joke with our group that I'll describe a game's VP generating mechanism that seems "bolted on" (such as TM's milestones and awards) as the "Cult Track" (a la Terra Mystica).

So in regard to Terraforming Mars, what other game(s) do you think this is most like? I have seen several comparisons to RFTG, but I disagree - it doesn't feel like that game at all to me when I play it. Instead, I think that this game compares more closely to a simplified Through the Ages: a New Story of Civilization (with an area control map and bolted on "cult track"). Like TTA, you acquire cards every round, you pay something to "build" them, the cards can have immediate and recurring effects, upgrading resource production rate is a thing, every round there is a production phase, etc. In fact, this really a simplified civ game, without war, is it not?

Any other comparisons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was an unholy marriage of Terra Mystica and Dominant Species.

You could do worse for influences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I keep saying it's a combination of Terra Mystica and Race for the Galaxy.
Basically, the turn structure is like Terra Mystica, you take turns until all players pass, while only being limited by resources instead of the amount of actions you have available.
Once the turn structure is out of the way (which is nothing like RftG), it's quite a bit like Race. You somehow get cards, which may then be played onto the board. And occasionally, your developments have some extra ability that affects future turns.

Now, of course this similarity only really comes from the fact that both are heavily based around a stack of cards with various different effects, and hand management.
But how many other board games use this as a central mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dodd
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been saying Race for the Galaxy with a little Suburbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The deck of unique* cards obviously leads to the comparison with Race for the Galaxy. (* there's a half-dozen functional doubles with different cost/requirements, unlike Race which has 20-25 actual or functional doubles).

On the other hand, most cards in Race give you permanent powers, while most cards in Mars are one-time effects.

I'm struggling to find a good analogy to the tiles and board. The closest I can come up with is Terra Mystica, but it feels like a stretch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius van der Merwe
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is mostly a card tableau/engine building euro game, ZhanGuo from What's Your Game makes for a good comparison. Other candidates may be some of Phil Eklund's games (e.g. Greenland, Bios: Megafauna or Pax Porfiriana). Eklund games also share the hard science interest with Terraform Mars. And finally Richard Breese of Keyflower fame's Inhabit the Earth jumps to mind as an excellent addition to the card tableau genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica meets Scepter of Zavandor/Outpost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Huh, so nobody's sharing my TTA / civ game vibe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jondodd82 wrote:
I've been saying Race for the Galaxy with a little Suburbia.

This was the idea that came to my head as well. But I should note that perspective is coming from (in my case) someone who plays all three solitaire.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been asked this question several times when demoing, and I keep giving them the "deer in the headlights" look.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a good answer, too, but that's not a bad thing in my book and says a lot about TM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
FTR, I taught this game to two Terra Mystica fans last night. After the game I asked if it was really like Terra Mystica? Their answer was that it was "similar, but different", which makes sense since the game is quite different in many ways, but nevertheless I think that it really helped them learn the game when I made comparisons to the game they knew.

Also, they really liked Terraforming Mars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you end up saying, you should compare it to two super obscure games no one has played, just to confuse them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TR reminds me of "Through the ages" and "scepter of zavandor" (for the same sense of growing/ parameters that adds resources) / Race for the galaxy (for the card combo)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
inzivro wrote:
TR reminds me of "Through the ages" and "scepter of zavandor" (for the same sense of growing/ parameters that adds resources) / Race for the galaxy (for the card combo)...

Thank you! At least one person agrees with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Tyrberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
this was a thread to not read if I wouldn´t like to cringe for a game..
comparsions to Terra Mystica, Race of the galaxy, Suburbia, dominant species that I do like.

In the end it ends up at my shelf =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
...You somehow get cards, which may then be played onto the board. And occasionally, your developments have some extra ability that affects future turns.

Which also describes Agricola whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
It reminds me of and old school turned-based strategy video game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that popped into my head was Imperial Settlers. Both games are based on card combos; you get a regular flow of cards which usually increase one or more of several different types of income, or add some other power. Each player also receives an asymmetric power which can greatly inform their playstyle.

The differences of course are that Terraforming Mars has a central board and thus competition for actions there, while Imperial Settlers has (limited) direct interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already compared it to the feeling of agricola, with a slow engine building, feeling of starving until the very last turns and some difficult choices on the actions to take...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.