GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,046 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a way to win with Pilgrims vs. Machines in a 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Just did a two player game against my son. He was the Machines and I was the Pilgrims (wanted to try them out). First round, I took the region closest to my base and built the Harvester and Extractor. I also had all 4 of my units in the region. Early in the 2nd round, he used his shred drone and orbital sniper to take out 2 of my units, invaded and beat me handily. I never recovered. Pilgrims have very few Recruit symbols on the cards and anytime I would recruit he would just snipe or shred me. I was never able to get enough units out to take more than one other region. In an effort to get out enough units to protect my one region, I never had enough Build to get a new Harvester or Extractor and if I could there just weren't enough rounds to build enough crystals to matter. Feels like the Pilgrims don't have enough time in a two player game to really be effective. It's especially hard when the other player can focus just on you and stopping your few units from doing anything. Is Pilgrims vs. Machines just really unbalanced in a 2 player game or am I missing some serious tactics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikngZombeHntr wrote:
Just did a two player game against my son. He was the Machines and I was the Pilgrims (wanted to try them out). First round, I took the region closest to my base and built the Harvester and Extractor. I also had all 4 of my units in the region. Early in the 2nd round, he used his shred drone and orbital sniper to take out 2 of my units, invaded and beat me handily. I never recovered. Pilgrims have very few Recruit symbols on the cards and anytime I would recruit he would just snipe or shred me. I was never able to get enough units out to take more than one other region. In an effort to get out enough units to protect my one region, I never had enough Build to get a new Harvester or Extractor and if I could there just weren't enough rounds to build enough crystals to matter. Feels like the Pilgrims don't have enough time in a two player game to really be effective. It's especially hard when the other player can focus just on you and stopping your few units from doing anything. Is Pilgrims vs. Machines just really unbalanced in a 2 player game or am I missing some serious tactics?

There are a few threads on this already. I actually wrote a session report, and the Pilgrims strategy guide was posted. But, my last two games I dominated the Machines using the Pilgrims.

You shouldn't be recruiting often with the Pilgrims -- use the recruitment via your structures.

I think the last game I won by 25 or 30 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I never recovered. Pilgrims have very few Recruit symbols on the cards and anytime I would recruit he would just snipe or shred me.

Maybe this isn't relevant and you were being sniped after you moved, but there was a recent thread I saw that said Portal ruled you can't be sniped in your HQ.

Maybe Grant can confirm this here also.

As I say, it might not matter to your narrative, but your guys are safe from sniping in your HQ.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Clearly, I didn't play it right then. I didn't think about attacking him with one of my 4 units before he could attack the region where I had the Harvester/Extractor. That might have made a big difference. I do like the fact that this game will require lots of plays to really be good at playing a faction. That challenge of learning the strengths and weaknesses of the factions is something I enjoy. That being said, it does seem that some of the factions are easier to win with if you don't have many plays in. I like the idea of the Pilgrims and will keep trying to figure out their strategy. I also think that they will work better in 3-4 player games when the Machines can't just focus on killing off all my units and have to worry about others too. It certainly doesn't help that my 9th grader is much smarter than I am! He smokes me every time in Blood Rage too. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:
I never recovered. Pilgrims have very few Recruit symbols on the cards and anytime I would recruit he would just snipe or shred me.

Maybe this isn't relevant and you were being sniped after you moved, but there was a recent thread I saw that said Portal ruled you can't be sniped in your HQ.

Maybe Grant can confirm this here also.

As I say, it might not matter to your narrative, but your guys are safe from sniping in your HQ.

Kevin

You are safe in HQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikngZombeHntr wrote:
Clearly, I didn't play it right then. I didn't think about attacking him with one of my 4 units before he could attack the region where I had the Harvester/Extractor. That might have made a big difference. I do like the fact that this game will require lots of plays to really be good at playing a faction. That challenge of learning the strengths and weaknesses of the factions is something I enjoy. That being said, it does seem that some of the factions are easier to win with if you don't have many plays in. I like the idea of the Pilgrims and will keep trying to figure out their strategy. I also think that they will work better in 3-4 player games when the Machines can't just focus on killing off all my units and have to worry about others too. It certainly doesn't help that my 9th grader is much smarter than I am! He smokes me every time in Blood Rage too. yuk

Trogs and Humans are the most straightforward. Pilgrims and Machines are much more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Played again. This time with 4 players. Being stubborn, I again played the Pilgrims. My oldest son played the Machines again. I knew going in I was likely to lose but hoped to at least have a better showing. I was the first player and moved my 4 units into a non-Trog region with my first action. My second action I built a Harvester and a Power Orb (thought this would help me avoid all the Recruit actions). The Machines promptly used his Orbital Snipers (he had built two by the first turn of the second round) and killed two of my units. He then invaded, locking down my Harvester and Power Orb, which I had not even been able to use yet. This, again, set back my crystal building engine to the point I was never able to really get going in the game. It was the last round before I was able to have two Harvesters going and producing crystals (I earned a whopping 2 points for crystals in my pool). I finished last by a long shot.

Clearly, I'm just not any good at playing the Pilgrims. Going to have to try a different faction. I also confirmed that all 3 of my boys are smarter than I am! Of course so is my wife...it's tough being the dumbest one in the house. At least I married up and the boys will be able to take care of me when I'm old and senile.

Going to keep trying but maybe not with the Pilgrims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daryl durston
msg tools
We actually played those two factions today. I was pilgrims and won! so yes, very possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Any strategy tips based upon not your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One tip might me to get on better terms with your son, he seems to have some aggressive tendencies toward you in Games!! Kidding of course. Honestly, not sure why Pilgrims would be a target of the orbital snipers when humans usually expand across the map. Maybe try recruiting first. Get six to eight guys and expand into two territories: the one with no Trogs and one with in front of a base. Even though the space with no Trogs seems good,it is closer
Enemies. Pilgrims just need three spaces to turtle up in. Get those space then go to town getting crystalsz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
The way i see it, Pilgrims and Machines are sort of "natural" allies in a 4p games, for the first few turns at least. The Machine might not really care who they shred (they simply want to win battles), but the Pilgrim player might convince him or her to turn his attention toward the real initial threat: Trogs and Humans both want a 4 round game. Putting all 4 units in the same region close to the machines might be seen as a threat and acted upon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some thoughts about how exactly this four player game happened.

VikngZombeHntr wrote:
I was the first player and moved my 4 units into a non-Trog region with my first action. My second action I built a Harvester and a Power Orb (thought this would help me avoid all the Recruit actions).

If you moved all four of your units in a battle, how were you able to build in your second action? Structures can't be built in a battle or in your HQ.

VikngZombeHntr wrote:
The Machines promptly used his Orbital Snipers (he had built two by the first turn of the second round) and killed two of my units.

I think your child tricked you: Orbital Snipers can't kill people in a battle. And Shredder drones can only affect adjacent spaces.

I'm glad you're still having fun despite getting killed. I've only played 3 games myself. So, I really can't offer any tactical advice, unfortunately.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I moved into the uncontrolled and unoccupied region. He then sniped me and, on the next turn came in and locked it down for battle. I probably should have moved 2 to the other regions with the Trogs and 2 you the uncontrolled region but I knew I couldn't build in the Trogs region until next round because it would be locked down for battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
He might have moved in 1st Turn of the second round. Can't remember for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.