Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey, I hope this is the right forum to ask about this. I've never tried doing PnP stuff before, but I'm in the market for a new printer and I was thinking I might as well try to pick up one that works well for games. I'm not even sure what the relevant considerations might be. I guess it should do color (so, an inkjet?) and be able to handle cardstock? I dunno, any guidance here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 7 year old HP Color Laserjet that still does a great job. Ink for inkjets are just ridiculously expensive. In the seven years I've used my Color Laserjet for work, play, homework, and quite a few PnP games, I've only had to change the toners twice at $80 for a black, cyan, yellow, and magenta complete set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely go for laserjet. It's better for game printing, and in the long run it's cheaper.

I have and old Samsung CLP-300 and I'm planning to replace it with its descendant when it finally dies.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
I have a 7 year old HP Color Laserjet that still does a great job. Ink for inkjets are just ridiculously expensive. In the seven years I've used my Color Laserjet for work, play, homework, and quite a few PnP games, I've only had to change the toners twice at $80 for a black, cyan, yellow, and magenta complete set.

Could you tell me what model that was? I've never had a color printer before, so I didn't realize that there were color laser printers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
crusader4x wrote:

Could you tell me what model that was? I've never had a color printer before, so I didn't realize that there were color laser printers.

Funny you ask because it's probably the worst reviewed HP Color Laserjet in existence. It's a HP CP1215. When I first bought it there were problems with the toner cartridges but after HP fixed that problem (something with a poorly designed seal inside the cartridge), I haven't had a problem since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
I have the 251nw which is the "older version".. although it's 2 years old. A set of toner cartridges for it are only about $50 off ebay.. compared to the $300 HP wanted.

Anyways, they came out with a newer model.. but it uses different cartridges and the ones from ebay for it are at a minimum $95.

So I'd go with an older printer to cut the toner cost in half.

The 251nw does gorgeous prints! Just make sure to up the drum heat setting to really melt on the toner. I find I don't need to laminate or varnish things I print using this printer with high heat setting.

Anyways you can buy one used for like $110 or so. I see one on ebay for $116 free shipping, right now:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

He says it is missign a toner cartridge... research which it is and you can buy the single toner/drum cart for like $12 to $18 on ebay.

EDIT: above printer description says it "makes noise before printing" .. so I don't know about this one.. but it looks like you can get one for like $140 no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:

EDIT: above printer description says it "makes noise before printing"

I've yet to use a laser printer that doesn't make noise before printing! The question is what the noise is!

Personally, I'd be more sceptical about the lack of a full set of toner. I know some people just can't be bothered, or might worry about buying toner they then can't use if the printer doesn't sell... but it seems this seller deals in printers; not having the correct toner on-hand when the printer arrives also means a lot of people wouldn't be in the position to test it out immediately and make sure it works, and having bought toner for it would be psychologically disinclined to send it back if it's not working as described.

I am pretty paranoid about buying stuff on eBay, though; it's also entirely possible that there's nothing wrong with that unit at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the 251nw. Super cheap to run, and easy-peasy to set up no matter what OS you have. I had it working wirelessly w/Linux in 10 minutes, which is unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:
I have the 251nw which is the "older version".. although it's 2 years old. A set of toner cartridges for it are only about $50 off ebay.. compared to the $300 HP wanted.

Anyways, they came out with a newer model.. but it uses different cartridges and the ones from ebay for it are at a minimum $95.

So I'd go with an older printer to cut the toner cost in half.

The 251nw does gorgeous prints! Just make sure to up the drum heat setting to really melt on the toner. I find I don't need to laminate or varnish things I print using this printer with high heat setting.

Curious how you change the drum heat setting. I have regular B&W laser printer but haven't seen anywhere how to change this setting. This seems like a good one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
On mine there's no explicit setting, but changing the paper type on the menu built into the printer (the Windows print controls do nothing here!) changes the behaviour. I use "label paper" settings for printing on linen paper or photo paper for cards & counters respectively, for example - it either runs hotter or fuses longer and the toner sticks better in areas of high colour as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The one thing I'll add is that laser printers pull A LOT more electricity than ink jets. So I'm not certain I'm saving as much as I think I am on toner because I'm burning it instead.

That said, lasers are much more convenient and produce a better product. The ink doesn't run when the page gets wet, and densely colored pages don't come out of the machine soaking wet to begin with. Laser jet output is just nicer.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Best economical printer for PnP" ?

The laserjet at the local public library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:

do they not charge you?

And I am one happily using a inkjet, it really depends on your resources and what you want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
TVis wrote:

do they not charge you?

And I am one happily using a inkjet, it really depends on your resources and what you want

Of course there is a charge. But there is no investment.

I own an inkjet (for convenience). I hire a laserjet (for quality) ... by the page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
I hire a laserjet. By the page.

my library charges a quarter per page, too rich for my blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't print often, you are probably better off using a printing service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Definitely go for laserjet. It's better for game printing, and in the long run it's cheaper.

I have and old Samsung CLP-300 and I'm planning to replace it with its descendant when it finally dies.

S.

Agreed. Unfortunately I'm a step ahead of you: my CLP-315 is half dead; ghosting & the thing has been thoroughly cleaned and has a new drum--not gonna invest in a fuser now, might as well just cut it loose & buy a new generation one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.