Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Games I Have:
Circus Flochati
Sushi Go
Fairy Tale
Archaeology The Card Game (Original version)
Coloretto
No Thanks
Biblios

I'm looking for other card games that use set collection in different ways. I'm looking at Parade. Any other suggestions. I'm looking for smaller box games too. Nothing too big. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade is not really set collection as youre trying NOT to collect cards. One of my favorite games though.

Or Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft, as a cute alternative. Won't blow your mind, but it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I know you're not trying to per se but don't you still want majority in colors so you score less points for them because you're going to have to take cards eventually and the sets make them worth 1 instead of face value for majorities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly set collecting, but 10 Down might be one to look at. You are trying to get 1-10, but also create runs of the same color to score more points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pagoda, 7 Wonders, Lanterns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben B
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
deedob wrote:
Parade is not really set collection as youre trying NOT to collect cards. One of my favorite games though

Actually, a good portion of the game is maintaining a majority of certain suits in order to minimize point accumulation. I would argue that it is indeed a set collection game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Arboretum?

Not exactly set collection, but kinda fits the bill. Small box for sure.

If it doesn't absolutely have to be cards, what about Blueprints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings? Or it's standalone expansion, Afterlife?

Small box. You collect items for your tomb through deck building. Sets in your tomb increase in value the more you have within each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pi mal Pflaumen is one we've enjoyed immensely recently. It mixes trick taking with set collection and comes with really cool art. I highly recommend this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is strictly 2 player. You can learn it and play online at yucata.de before you buy it, and you don't even need to create an account there if you choose not to.

Lost Cities is also for only 2 players and has a lot of tough decisions.

Bohnanza is a popular classic with a good deal of negotiation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game

+1 Valley of the Kings

Castles does take up a fair bit of table space considering it is the card game version! And it uses small cards, so if you like regular cards, perhaps not this one. But I really love this, prefer it to its big brother!

Valley of the Kings, what a cracking little deck builder. There are three in the series, which all work fine standalone, no need to own more than one really. I have all three but that's because I am nuts about the game!

Be aware if you do mix sets that the backs of the cards might not look exactly the same between sets. I can tell mine apart quite easily (well actually I can't as I use solid back sleeves!)

What I love about Castles is I find it so quick and smooth. Very fluid.

Valley of the Kings reminds me a tiny bit of Biblios in that there are a lot of quick tough little decisions to make. At game end you only score points for the cards you have "entombed."

But entombing a card from your hand means that you can't use that card's special ability any more or its money value to buy a new card.

Often, I think, I really want to buy this neat card in the pyramid. BUT I really do need to get some cards entombed!

Awww, I am doing well entombing blue cards, I need to make sure I get this blue card in my hand right now entombed as well before game end. BUT I really like the look of this card in the pyramid and I can get it if I use my blue card's special power.

I just love these quick tough decisions, like in Biblios!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Maybe Arboretum?

Not exactly set collection, but kinda fits the bill.

Certainly seems to me that does answer "set collection in different ways".

I will add Guildhall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
I know you're not trying to perse but don't you still want majority in colors so you score less points for them because you're going to have to take cards eventually and the sets make them worth 1 instead of face value for majorities.

Side issue. I did not recognize that word at all, and couldn't gain any further grasp from the context. Finally typing it as an internet search provided an important space between two segments: per se, (Latin) a Latin phrase meaning "by itself" or "in itself"..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Goodman
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend Archaeology: The New Expedition, but I don't know if it is different enough from the original which you own. I will recommend the game that kind of replaced Archaeology for me, Sea of Clouds. Fun game, fairly quick, easy to learn and there are a few different set collection mechanics. It also has great art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
benchilada wrote:
deedob wrote:
Parade is not really set collection as youre trying NOT to collect cards. One of my favorite games though

Actually, a good portion of the game is maintaining a majority of certain suits in order to minimize point accumulation. I would argue that it is indeed a set collection game.

That's what I thought. Eventually you're going to have to take cards. There's no way you'll avoid that the whole game so the set collection helps minimize the points you score. One could argue it's not the same but simple to No Thanks is that taking more cards in a certain run is good. This is taking more cards in a specific color is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
I'm looking for other card games that use set collection in different ways. I'm looking at Parade. Any other suggestions. I'm looking for smaller box games too. Nothing too big. Thanks.

Sounds like you're looking for Targi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Maybe Arboretum?

Not exactly set collection, but kinda fits the bill. Small box for sure.

Also, Zany Penguins. You are trying to win suite majority on the table to score the cards in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set collection in a different way like Ticket to Ride as it is ongoing during the actual gameplay.
Another different style would be Pastiche as you need to collect sets of colours to complete artwork.
Couple of different angles for ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some games I enjoy that have interesting set collection aspects to them:
Saint Petersburg (second edition)
Discoveries
Abyss
Wyatt Earp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Linko! is different in that theres a timing element to when you play the sets that heavily matters. Do you play four 2s now and hope nobody else has a set of four at a higher number or do you wait to pick up two more 2s as it's much harder to beat six 2s that four? Or do you split up your five 6s to snatch four 3s because you already have three 3s in hand and having seven 3s would be awesome? It what if the next player is about to go out? Do they have one big set to go out this turn? Or a couple singles left and you can try to go big now?

Love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
We enjoy Guildhall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Pocket Madness, you're trying to collect sets to empty your hand. The fun part of this game is that all cards are open on the table (in a row) and you can take 1, 2 or 3 cards from one side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I really the first to mention SET?

Morels qualifies as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.