Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow, October 15, my local B&N is having a board game night. Does anyone know what they are planning to demo? There were more details teh last time they did this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mudgett
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may be Boss Monster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
The featured games for the event are Warehouse 51, Onitama, World’s Fair 1893, Boss Monster, Kitty Paw and Red Flags.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35747/barnes-noble-tablet...

Also, to quote the Boss Monster Facebook page,
Quote:
If you've got a Barnes and Noble near you, stop by Saturday evening and play a round of Boss Monster with some newbies. Take a picture of yourself playing Boss Monster at a B&N that night and send it to bwisegames@gmail.com along with your shirt size and address and we'll send you a free Boss Monster t-shirt to reward you for your ambassadorial efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaFees wrote:
Quote:
The featured games for the event are Warehouse 51, Onitama, World’s Fair 1893, Boss Monster, Kitty Paw and Red Flags.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35747/barnes-noble-tablet...

Also, to quote the Boss Monster Facebook page,
Quote:
If you've got a Barnes and Noble near you, stop by Saturday evening and play a round of Boss Monster with some newbies. Take a picture of yourself playing Boss Monster at a B&N that night and send it to bwisegames@gmail.com along with your shirt size and address and we'll send you a free Boss Monster t-shirt to reward you for your ambassadorial efforts!

Thanks.

I stopped by B&N tonight on my way to pick up pizza. The person who is running the event was there. She said they had sent "some boxes of games that were in the back," but she didn't know what they were. She also said that the last time they did this there was only one person there and they canceled. I'm interested in Onitama and have played World's FAir 1893 and liked it. Maybe I'll get some promos, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working with my local B&N on this monthly event for the past 3 or 4 months now. I'll be there again tonight, helping to demo titles. So far the showing has been very small every time. I don't know how it is for all the locations, but at our place, the gaming area is sort of relegated to the back corner of the store, so we get almost zero walk-by traffic. The higher-ups don't want to move the displays they have in the central/high-traffic areas, even for the one night that the game event is happening.

I really would like to see this take off more for them, but so far I feel like the corporate-level decision-makers aren't quite willing to put the money into the marketing to give this thing some real legs. It seems like they're relying much on word-of-mouth. Not sure how much longer they're going to devote labor hours/resources to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not sure how much longer they're going to devote labor hours/resources to this.

Which seems counterproductive to me. I have three B&N stores within about 20 min of me and one of them just redid their entire game section. They added about 10 titles I'd not seen there before and put in two more endcaps.

You would think if they are expanding their selection, they would want to make a better effort to get people in the stores and excited for the games the are selling.

However, I didn't see any notice of a game night or anything promoting games in any of the three stores over the last few weeks. Just a bunch of notices about all the pumpkin stuff you can get in the cafe. yuk

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will S
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours is tonight and they are doing World's Fair 1893 and Red Flags. Might go check that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Goots
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
Any good giveaways or promos to be had?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board as Chit wrote:
Any good giveaways or promos to be had?

I was the only one who showed up at my B&N location.

The person in charge did give me the promos. They are
A set of 5 Turtle cards for Onitama
A set of 10 Wild West Show cards for World's Fair 1893
A Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game Game Night Kit #2 that has a play mat and a pack of promo cards
10 cards for Red Flags
10 cards for Kitty Paw

I've played World's Fair 1893 before and I will probably end up buying that.

Onitama has looked interesting and it will probably be something I'm going to get.

Boss Monster and Red Flag are maybes. Whether I get them will determine if I keep the promos.

Kitty Paw is a definite no so I'll be putting that promo on the trade pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stout
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took my 6 year old son to this tonight and we played two games of Boss Monster. I already owned the game and went for the promo's and shirt from Brotherwise.

I had several people stop by my table and ask what it was.

The Layton, UT B&N had 4 tables setup right in the middle by the Nook stuff. But their was no advertising until the event was started. I stopped in at 5 and their was no posters up. Only when I showed up at 7:06 did I see something outside.

We had the same games demo'd that every body else is mentioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer78 wrote:
I've been working with my local B&N on this monthly event for the past 3 or 4 months now. I'll be there again tonight, helping to demo titles. So far the showing has been very small every time. I don't know how it is for all the locations, but at our place, the gaming area is sort of relegated to the back corner of the store, so we get almost zero walk-by traffic. The higher-ups don't want to move the displays they have in the central/high-traffic areas, even for the one night that the game event is happening.

I really would like to see this take off more for them, but so far I feel like the corporate-level decision-makers aren't quite willing to put the money into the marketing to give this thing some real legs. It seems like they're relying much on word-of-mouth. Not sure how much longer they're going to devote labor hours/resources to this.

Barnes and Noble is one of the reasons we're trying to get a board game business started here in Western Colorado. There is 1 B&N about 60 miles away from us. There are 2 Target stores about 90 miles apart. The selection in all of those stores is not that great. Especially for the potential market here. We are teachers and host board game events for schools, the Upward Bound program, and game nights at our local library. So that's one weakness of those chains; customers can't try out games (except for the rare game night at B&N) and cannot react to customer needs as fast as we can. EVERY time we've hosted there have been people who have found games they really enjoy they did not know existed. The potential is there if you have game days run by people who are passionate about board games and know the industry at least a little bit. Game day/night is also a great way to test market I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Hibbler
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know who is in charge of making this happen, Is it Barnes and Noble or the Game publisher? Our Barnes and Noble had no one there teaching the games or anything. They just had a table set up to play the games, so at least there was that, but I would be glad to teach the games, especially if I got to go home with them in the end. Any information appreciated. I tried contacting Barnes and Noble directly, but they weren't all that helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jodehi wrote:
Does anyone know who is in charge of making this happen, Is it Barnes and Noble or the Game publisher? Our Barnes and Noble had no one there teaching the games or anything. They just had a table set up to play the games, so at least there was that, but I would be glad to teach the games, especially if I got to go home with them in the end. Any information appreciated. I tried contacting Barnes and Noble directly, but they weren't all that helpful.

I had called mine up in advance and offered to volunteer and teach and they said No -_-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Hibbler
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, sounds promising then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a few people show up to ours at Cape Girardeau, MO, probably about half the turnout of the last one. 6 people in total, with an occasional onlooker. Played Boss Monster and Onitama, Red Flags was out but was not played since my son (13 but looks much younger) was present.

Smaller table space than last time, two groups playing two different games on a smallish square table was not the best setup. No promos given out No promotion of the event at all as far as I could tell but then again this store still has a 50% clearance banner in the window with the sale being at 75 for a week now.

Disappointing but we'll keep going to any they have, if nothing else it was a way to try a new game for free. We liked Onitama but we already own the Duke and Jarl and it didn't feel different enough for a purchase, and we already own Boss Monster as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jodehi wrote:

It's just B&N, not the game publishers. It's a top-down decision to try and promote sales of the games they are stocking, but as you can see from various pieces of this thread, they simply aren't giving it the support and marketing it really needs. Many of the managers/employees to whom this is delegated don't have a thorough knowledge of the games. Some of them are willing and even grateful to receive help from outside volunteers, like us, but others either (a) don't even know enough about what is expected of them to actually put volunteers to good use, and/or (b) don't want the legal liability of having a non-employee "working" on the premises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.