Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New to the system and played a bunch of scenarios in a PBEM game and I really liked it. I like the game mechanics with the various attribute tests and special abilities along with pretty much every other mechanic in the game (monsters, characters, bad guys, various overlord cards, even the search deck).

Has anyone used it in a traditional RPG style game? Looks like it would work just with a GM instead of an overlord player but using as many of the standard game rules as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was a user on FFG forum that made a 2 page file and placed it on scribed, but it didn't have much depth however. A quick google search should locate it. If you've played D&D though, i'm sure you could make the connection between the two. If you get something together, please post it for all of us to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ive started working on a game..and use a lot of the Descent stuff. figures,tokens map tiles etc...although my game theme is darker than descents ..as far as heroes go anyway!..so im using heroes from other board games i have...but i have most of the stuff for D2E.

its mainly cards i need to make and rules etc etc..but excellent for use for other games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
ctcharger wrote:

Has anyone used it in a traditional RPG style game? Looks like it would work just with a GM instead of an overlord player but using as many of the standard game rules as possible.

I've heard of a number of people using components from it. I routinely use miniatures from the game. A number of people talk about building dungeons with descent and D&D adventure system tiles.

I can also completely see people adding some elements of an RPG to descent. But I haven't heard of anyone reinventing the wheel and trying to turn descent into a full RPG like you're talking about. There are already enough good RPG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. There are a lot of good RPGs out there already, very true. However, my recent (limited) experience with play by post revealed these challenges to that format.

People tend to have very specific views of how their RPG should play especially around combat. In a face to face game with people you know, not a problem, in Play by post, players are from all over. In Descent, you know exactly what you can do and all that. Plus heroes don't die which appears to be a sticking point nowadays.

Player agency, never heard of it before until recently. I am more used to the DM doing things behind the scene but that doesn't seem to fly nowadays. Descent mechanics are very open and I would use them as much as possible. More web traps and such when in a spider den and more zombies rising out of the crypts but otherwise stock mechanics. No play balance though or at least some flexibility around it. No reinforcements for example unless it makes sense.

The maps and monsters and all that are on VASSAL ( I only use what I own which tends to grow the more I play it) so big win there. Can be very visual which is very good for Play by Post.

The interaction with NPCs and such pretty much the same in all RPGs so no big issue there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
I did use my descent sets to roleplay a game of throne scene in a crypt that my rpg group had to explore. It was a blast to play. In general using descent as a rpg would be pretty easy.
You can build encounters, npcs, quests, a city with shops, events, riddles, etc. etc...

I would love to dm or play such rpg descent style, my head would be full of ideas,... once we played a storytelling play by forum which was tons of fun! =)
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1309101/descent-oneshot-exp...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/951612/shadow-lair-iii-ic-t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.