Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: What would you want in an expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alias Saila
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
So there's a lot of talk about a new expansion for the game: personally I think that the game works perfectly and that it does not need any expansions (at least for the time being). What are your thoughts about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why do we need another thread about expansions when we already have dozens of threads about exoansions and zero expansions?

For what people want in expansions see the aforementioned threads both here and on the FFG forums. You will find no shortage of wishlists. Let's not start another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional players with additional factions. Like Scum and Villainy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a little bit more of everything, cards, units, heroes ect ect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Even though I dont think this game needs an expansion and dont currently believe it is getting an expansion, I am starting to hope they release one just so people stop asking about and speculating on one. So lets say...ewoks. Yeah, ewoks. With a new objective card called Yub Nyub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it needs an expansion.

But, faction-specific combat cards, possibly ones you hold onto between battles, might be good. You could put a lot of the missing ships etc in the game as cards.

More leaders. Just for more variety.

More system-related cards. Perhaps not missions, but some way to make all the systems more interesting. The Imps already avoid Kashykk because of those pesky Wookiee and their Uprisings. It would be fun if Nal Hutta gave you influence over the Hutt somehow.

NOT a third faction. This is a head-to-head battle of wits. I want it to continue to be about tactics and trickery. I don't want it to be about three-way powerplays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm quite happy without an expansion. The balance is currently good, the number of options each side has is good and changing things and adding things will throw this off. More mission cards could be interesting but then it thins the deck and there is less chance of seeing the things you want. Less chance for the Rebels to get Trade Negotiations and Support of the Mon Cal to help them out if the Empire is stifling their production. Less chance of Lure of the Darkside etc.

Units all serve a purpose and I don't think we need more variety there either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
I'm quite happy without an expansion. The balance is currently good, the number of options each side has is good and changing things and adding things will throw this off. More mission cards could be interesting but then it thins the deck and there is less chance of seeing the things you want. Less chance for the Rebels to get Trade Negotiations and Support of the Mon Cal to help them out if the Empire is stifling their production. Less chance of Lure of the Darkside etc.

Units all serve a purpose and I don't think we need more variety there either.

Alas this is all true. I mean don't get me wrong I love the game and how balanced it is. I think the expansion could easily break things and I hope it doesn't add too many more missions unless they are able to maintain the current consistency of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Body
msg tools
Something that replaces the current tactics card system. It's just too clunky in its current state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fahbs2000 wrote:
Something that replaces the current tactics card system. It's just too clunky in its current state.

This is my first hope. Just an optional combat system would allow those that like the current system to stick with it but also gives us that dislike the system an alternative.

Anything beyond the above is gravy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add up to the majority here. I don't think the scale of the game calls for more unit variety than what we already have; but a few more leaders and cards would be neat. Maybe this would work best as a PoD expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
Maybe this would work best as a PoD expansion?

If they did a PoD expansion, it would have to use all-new card decks, because their PoD cards don't mix well with the factory printed cards (IE, they may not be exactly the same size, and they definitely look different, so you could easily tell which is which).

Sure, you could sleeve them to mitigate this, but while I do sleeve my games for the most part, to make that mandatory would really kill interest for many people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the most obvious expansion would be Rogue One: new leaders (Jyn Erso, Orson Krennic), new special mission types (Locate/Steal the DS Plans) that are resolved in a mini-game (like combat is, with special action cards and stuff), new setup rules (Death Star under construction, Scarif planet overlay), new units (U-Wing, Tie-Striker),...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Rebels characters is the first and foremost thought here. They love incorporating that stuff into Armada and X-Wing, and it is probably the best canon side material we have short of Rogue One. I could easily see them adding leaders to both sides from the show. Hera, Kanan, and Sato for Rebels. Thrawn, Kallus, Konstantine, and The Inquisitor for the Empire. Lots of mission card possibilities there.

However, that AND Rogue One would be extending the timeline downwards into characters who are not around for the events of the original trilogy. This game is thematically hard to match because it strictly does just tell the events of those 3 movies in the form of a war game. Unlike X-Wing and Imperial Assault, it doesn't thrive on "the crossovers you always wanted to see!"

I kinda wonder if an expansion would have to just be an entire variant. A way to play that replaces all of the current content and just instead sets out to tell the story of Rebels with the mechanics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Dyksley
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
bottom half of the galaxy?
more planets to vaporize with the Death Star to find the Rebel Scum bwahahahahaha

another board, more characters, more everything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormquiver wrote:

You mean the half that was mostly unexplored even in the former expanded universe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormquiver wrote:
more planets to vaporize with the Death Star to find the Rebel Scum bwahahahahaha

Learn your galactic cartography lore before you talk shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
poshniallo wrote:

NOT a third faction. This is a head-to-head battle of wits. I want it to continue to be about tactics and trickery. I don't want it to be about three-way powerplays.

You could easily have a third faction in an expansion and not be forced to play with it to enjoy new content. I think adding a third side would really open up the game as an epic 'social' experience. As is it now it is 1v1 and many say that 4 player game is makes it 'worse'. The Scum faction could easily continue on the path of asymmetry and be much less focused on space battles and have goals more relating to the various characters, while retaining a small fleet of more specialized combat units. I could also see having 2 scum players (that are not necessarily working together) for bigger games to bring this up to a 6 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narninian wrote:
The Scum faction could easily continue on the path of asymmetry and be much less focused on space battles and have goals more relating to the various characters, while retaining a small fleet of more specialized combat units. I could also see having 2 scum players (that are not necessarily working together) for bigger games to bring this up to a 6 player game.

I can't see a game this epic ending on a scum victory, though; the galaxy is at stake, rebels and empire vying for the fate of all, and you'd have an ending such as "Sorry guys, the conflict will have to stop there, I've reached my winning conditions". Unless those conditions involve overthrowing the Empire and declaring a new reign of Jabba the First, but that's not really happening in star wars lore.

A Scum faction could work really well as neutral ships in the two-player game, though. With a simple rule that whoever has loyalty in the current system, gets to use those ships as their own, it could add intricate layers of strategy. Especially with a few extra missions designed to manipulate/interact with the scum faction (moving their ships to a system you control, blockading a system with more scum than units, using a "scum leader" for a turn, etc.).

I also really liked the idea suggested in another variant thread, about Jabba as
a static leader (stays on a given system, cannot use actions but can contribute to mission results in the system he's in). This could be a general mechanic applied to neutral scum leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.