Gorechosen» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anyone remove "Headshot" injury card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmb
We've played this game a few times already, and have already had sudden deaths occur due to this card. It seems like with at least three injury markers, it is almost too easy to roll a six. Last game I tried a variant suggested by Joel Eddy, and left it out until the first reshuffle, but I'm wondering if the game would be better if I just left it out.

Does anyone else play without this card? Any other suggestions of house rules to make it more fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
cpugeek13 wrote:
We've played this game a few times already, and have already had sudden deaths occur due to this card. It seems like with at least three injury markers, it is almost too easy to roll a six. Last game I tried a variant suggested by Joel Eddy, and left it out until the first reshuffle, but I'm wondering if the game would be better if I just left it out.

Does anyone else play without this card? Any other suggestions of house rules to make it more fun?

I think it's mostly an attitude thing. We played last night and the other players wanted no part of it, so we didn't even shuffle it in... ever. I've grown to accept it as a possibility. It just has that edge of danger.

One thought was posted in reply to my video, was that instead of "instant death", you had to discard your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sma Winston
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cpugeek13 wrote:

I've only played a couple of times, but I was going to try shuffling it in only after at least one fighter had died. Hopefully hastening the endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game headshot came out and the player survived despite having 5 injury markers.

In our next session we had 2 games and THREE decapitations and we all thought it was hilarious.

Houseruling this card out of the deck is the opposite of making the game more fun in my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting discussion point! There were a couple of reasons why Headshot was included in the deck, and it was a very deliberate decision. (Not saying it was the right decision, necessarily, but I did put a lot of thought into it!)

First up, it's to keep the game moving forward. This game is at its best when it's quick and dirty; you don't want it to drag on too long. This is the same reason why there are no rules that let you recover lost wounds, and why pits are so deadly! (I've read articles about why Monopoly sucks, and one of the most-cited reasons - I mean, there are many, but this is a good one - is because people play with the house rule that you put money on Free Parking, and anyone who lands there gets to pick it up. That makes the game drag on, because it's all about being the last person who isn't bankrupt, and introducing more money into the economy slows that down and makes it drag. Same thing applies here!)

Secondly, it's there to give hope to players who are lagging behind. The fact that there's a potential insta-kill card means that nothing's certain. During playtesting, I saw one or two situations where an utterly crippled character got incredibly lucky and decapitated a fighter who was barely scratched, and the reaction around the table was always explosive! There's no way I could have taken it out when it caused that kind of response.

On the other hand, in hindsight (hooray, hindsight!) I can see that there are fringe cases where a player could be knocked out very early on indeed. We playtested the game a lot, and it never happened, but playtesting is never going to hit even 1% of the number of plays that happen once the game's out in the wild, so I should have allowed for this!

As such, I totally endorse Joel's suggestion of shuffling the Headshot card in after the 'Blood is Spilled...' card comes up for the first time. I wish I'd thought of it myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Before my group's first ever game, I just asked them what they thought. They said, "Keep it in."

In our first game ever, I pushed someone into a pit in turn two (I said to my opponent, "I'm thinking of pushing you in a pit, but it would instantly kill you so maybe I shouldn't," and he responded, "Isn't that the point? Do it!"). I got decapitated by my remaining opponent in the next round.

Now we're all hooked.

In many games, I would hate this kind of card or rule (I won't play Dead of Winter because of the insta-death dice). However, for Gorechosen it's perfectly fitting, as the game is a quick filler with an intentionally over-the-top design. The card keeps things fast, ensures genuine tension every time you take a critical injury, and means you are never guaranteed to win.

Interestingly, in our last game, headshot ended up as the last card in the injury deck, and the second to last card was the reshuffle card. So, in that game the card never turned up at all, and as players were being more cautious of pits, the game was our longest ever, with all deaths resulting from accumulation of wounds.

I guess people just have to feel out their group's opinion; but for us, this card is in from turn one and stays there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree I like the card. You can obviously house rule however you want (i love Joel's idea!) But to me it's very thematic. Kinda like an action movie where the star is getting his ass kicked then Boom!, headshot on the bad guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone recommended to me that you put it in the discard pile at the start of the game, but shuffle it in with the first shuffle. This should prevent it happening super early but it will eventually show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might be playing the wrong game if you are looking to tone down the carnage. I mean, this is Gorechosen! It's about outrageous violent arena combat among the most bloodthirsty psychopaths of the Warhammer world. This ain't Ticket to Ride. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
In our first game ever, I pushed someone into a pit in turn two (I said to my opponent, "I'm thinking of pushing you in a pit, but it would instantly kill you so maybe I shouldn't," and he responded, "Isn't that the point? Do it!"). I got decapitated by my remaining opponent in the next round.

Now we're all hooked.

This should be printed on the back of the box. If I hadn't already ordered the game, this would have pushed me over the edge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
Headshot card = fun, fun, and fun.
Don't remove this card !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never!

Checked how my games have ended, 28, all 2-p:

Headshot: 8 times
Mill/grind (fill up Health Track with Wound markers): 16
Pit: 4

Honestly surprised by the amount of milling wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Never!

Checked how my games have ended, 28, all 2-p:

Headshot: 8 times
Mill/grind (fill up Health Track with Wound markers): 16
Pit: 4

Honestly surprised by the amount of milling wins.

It's really easy to think you've got loads of health, because of the length of the track. But actually, you've only got 36 'hit points'. Add in the fact that the more hurt you are, the quicker you take critical injuries, most of which make it easier for your opponents to hurt you more (by making you ditch cards, and therefore lose defensive capabilities, or by moving you around so you have to spend cards getting back into position), and you have a real escalation kind of thing. At first, it feels like you're just chipping away at your opponents, then suddenly you've killed them.

At least, that's the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I know. Kore smacking you for 21 dmg gets you down in a hurry. Heldrax connecting with Cleave at the start of the game, even if you defend all the hits, that's still effectively a 7-dmg attack (since you need to put a Wound marker). Just figured Headshot endings would be more prominent, maybe pittings too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Oh, I know. Kore smacking you for 21 dmg gets you down in a hurry. Heldrax connecting with Cleave at the start of the game, even if you defend all the hits, that's still effectively a 7-dmg attack (since you need to put a Wound marker). Just figured Headshot endings would be more prominent, maybe pittings too.

I wonder if it's the nature of the two-player game. I mainly play with three players, and we see quite a lot of pittings, as it's harder to stay in safe positions. I don't keep accurate stats like you do, but I don't remember that many games where everybody "bled out."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I don't keep accurate stats like you do

Pfft, if you're not gonna keep stats, why play laugh whistle ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.