$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Die vs. Skill (again) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know this comes up a lot, but playing through one of the adventures and resetting my decks at the end, I realized that I had to make a choice between a Bastard Sword +1 from the Base Set (a Weapon 1) and a Greatclub +1 from the Cleric Class Deck (a Weapon 2).

The Bastard Sword +1 says "For your combat check, reveal this card to roll your Strength or Melee die + 1d10+1..."

The Greatclub +1 says "For your combat check, reveal this card to roll your Strength or Melee skill + 1d10+1..."

Now, are these different things, or do they refer to the same thing with the Greatclub just reflecting more accurate terminology that was adopted between the Base Set printing and the Cleric Class Deck printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're talking about the "Base Set", I assume you mean the one for Rise of the Runelords? If so, I believe you have to replace all instances of (skill name) die with (skill name) skill.

Starting with Skull & Shackles, (skill name) die specifically refers to ONLY the die associated with that skill, while (skill name) skill refers to your total value for that skill (die + filled checkboxes).

For example, all the "gems of ability" (Pearl of Wisdom, Emerald of Dexterity, etc.) allow you to use your base DIE for an ability skill instead of the normal skill for a check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coriolis has it right. This change in terminology is explicitly called out in the Skull & Shackles rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I'm still working on RotR and I've been using the PDF version of the rulebook from the Paizo website to make sure I have the most recent version, but it didn't occur to me that this would be in a different rulebook. I kind of figured (hoped, I guess) that the RotR PDF rulebook on the website would be a kind of living rulebook that would globally apply to *all* PACG games. But of course, info about later Base Set-specific mechanics (like cohorts or scourges) isn't going to make it into the RotR rulebook, so i guess it seems reasonable that other info (like what you guys mentioned) could be in a later rulebook but not the RotR one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Paizo said it would be very difficult to update every rulebook across all games to keep them current, hence they decided to declare the current set's rulebook the current rules for every game.

I don't have anything crossing set boundaries (class decks, characters from other base sets) and I don't play in any organized/formal settings, so I just use the rule book that comes with each set. The rules are quite strict about cards "doing what they say", so my reasoning is what's printed in a given set is what Lone Shark and Paizo meant to say at that time. Paizo could do a revised printing of the games if they wanted to, but since they don't, what's currently out there must be good enough.

One of the big changes between ROTR and other sets is when evasion occurs. Some Monsters in ROTR do damage before combat. In ROTR, you'd evade before the damage happens; but Skull & Shackles introduced new rules (I think it was "Before the encounter") that makes the damage occur first and then you evade. Most of the other rule changes are just more precise wording to eliminate the ambiguity present when trying to communicate to thousands of people; sometimes customers reach reasonable conclusions different from what Lone Shark intended because words and language are always evolving and often have subtle distinctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can basically replace "before the encounter" with "before you act" and the newer rulebooks will make the same sense. "Before the encounter" was confusing terminology because the encounter happens as soon as you flip the card. The first step is "when encountered" and some things happen then (like the damage at the Shrine to Lamashtu or automatically acquiring a Blessing of the Gods), then a character may attempt to evade a card. Evasion comes before the "before you act" step (formerly "before the encounter").

So, yes Merisiel can generally evade monsters that she encounters, unless the monster says it can't be evaded, and ignores all the steps of the encounter after that up to where the monster is shuffled back into its location (if it came from one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.