Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
Project Update #65 - Crafting the continent #13 puts the total card count for the game at 1350.

Project Update #62 - Crafting the continent #10 also puts the total card count for the game at 1350.

Project Update #60 - Crafting the continent #8 puts the card count for the "main box" at 962.

The Kickstarter campaign describes the Explorer Pledge as including 1200+ cards.

Individual contents of the Core Box add up to 986 cards (see details below):
700+ exploration cards
110 random event cards
92 action cards
1 shoulder bag card
10 save cards
30 food cards
28 state cards
4 character cards
8 experience point cards
and 3 clue cards

A "main box" total from the project updates of 962 is pretty close to the Core Box total of 986 from the Kickstarter campaign.

Each of the 3 additional curse boxes (Swamp of Madness, The Icy Maze, and The Forbidden Sanctuary) contains 96 cards according to Kickstarter campaign description.

96 + 96 + 96 + 986 = 1274, which is pretty much in line with the 1200+ cards description of the Explorer Pledge.

The Kickstarter campaign description also describes cards unlocked from the stretch goals. Overall, it says that the stretch goals equate to an additional 260 cards.

A more detailed breakdown of the stretch goals from the Kickstarter campaign description is as follows:
110 terrain/event cards
30 random event/alternative numbered cards (10 KS only)
31 state/idea/character cards (21? KS only)
27 companion/idea cards (18 KS only)
27 mini adventure/side quest cards (17 KS only)
15 Kickstarter surprise cards (15 KS only)
20 Black Box curse cards (20 KS only)

Adding up the individual breakdown for stretch goals results in 260 cards, right on the dot with the overall description for stretch goals.

So, adding up the detailed card totals from the Kickstarter campaign results in 1274 + 260 = 1534 cards, and this EXCLUDES the cards that come with the optional add-ons.

If we throw in the Kickstarter campaign card counts for all of the optional add ons, we have the following:
30 "Path of Repentence" cards
30 "Fear the Devourer" cards
40 "Facing the Elements" cards

This equates to 100 additional cards from the optional add ons.

So, if we compute the grand total from the Kickstarter campaign, we have 1534 + 100 = 1634 cards.

So, my first question is, what explains the discrepancy between the original total card count of 1634 from the Kickstarter campain and the latest total card count of 1350 from the project updates?

My next question is, what proportion of the total card count, whatever it actually is, has artwork on it vs text only?

And my last question is, of the cards that have artwork on them, what proportion of the artwork is original artwork vs repeat artwork?

Not only does the size of this game blow my mind, but, accordingly, so does the quantity of original artwork! Amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more card math...

Individual stretch goal descriptions from the KS campaign:

55k - 6 character/idea cards (KS only)
65k - 10 terrain/event cards
75k - 7 cards (mysterious seed)
85k - 5 advanced idea cards
95k - 10 terrain/event cards
105k - 2 cards (companion) (KS only)
115k - 5 cards (item)
125k - 10 terrain/event cards
135k - 5 KS surprise cards (KS only)
155k - 10 terrain/event cards
170k - 10 random event cards
185k - 10 terrain/event cards
200k - 5 cards (item) (KS only)
215k - 5 KS surprise cards (KS only)
230k - 10 terrain/event cards
245k - 5 alternate event/terrain cards (KS only)
260k - 5 random event cards
280k - 7 character/idea cards (KS only)
300k - 10 terrain/event cards
325k - 5 KS surprise cards (KS only)
350k - 4 state cards
375k - 3 cards (new music score)
425k - 10 terrain/event cards
450k - 6 character/idea cards
475k - 3 cards (the broken amulet) (KS only)
500k - 1 card (magnifying glass) (KS only)
530k - 5 mini game/puzzle cards
590k - 2 companion cards (KS only)
620k - 10 terrain/event cards
650k - 3 cards (mysterious seed)
680k - 5 advanced idea cards (KS only)
720k - 4 blank character cards (KS only)
760k - 5 secondary quest cards (KS only)
800k - 10 terrain/event cards
850k - 5 cards (mystery cages) (KS only)
900k - 1 card (conch)
950k - 4 state cards
1000k - 20 curse cards (KS only)
1050k - 5 companion cards (KS only)
1100k - 5 random event cards (KS only)
1200k - 10 terrain/event cards

Total stretch goal cards: 263 (vs 260 below)
Total KS only stretch goal cards: 95 (vs 101 below)
Total terrain/event cards: 110 (same as below)

The aggregate (as opposed to individual) KS campaign description of stretch goals:
110 terrain/event cards
30 random event/alternative numbered cards (10 KS only)
31 state/idea/character cards (21? KS only)
27 companion/idea cards (18 KS only)
27 mini adventure/side quest cards (17 KS only)
15 Kickstarter surprise cards (15 KS only)
20 Black Box curse cards (20 KS only)

Things match up pretty well, which is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a link to a pretty accurate spreadsheet buried in the KS comments and the sum there was 1350 as far as I remember. You could check for differences to your calculations there ... perhaps someone has that link, I can't find it while on my mobile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black dog
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There : https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1447390/card-count-spre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren T
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a glance, you misread the number of exploration cards in the base box. The KS page says that the core box has 700+ cards, of which 415+ are exploration cards. (I think SP said the number wasn't yet finalized at the time because they wanted the freedom to do some more editing on the maps.)

However you're listing 700 as the number of exploration cards, meaning 285 extra cards... Subtract that from your total of 1634 and you get 1349, which is pretty close to the game's total of 1350. I'm sure if you dig in the spreadsheet linked you can find the other missing card. Also, I think the "main box total of 962" you're quoting from the updates is including stretch goals: 700(ish) cards plus 268 more from the stretch goals, for a total of 968(ish).

As for your other question I think only SP could answer that conclusively I think it's safe to say that most of the cards have illustrations, though? I think all of the examples of exploration cards that we saw had some kind of illustration, even when it wasn't a piece of terrain. Even accounting for repeated illustrations, or similar terrain cards which are mostly the same save for some details, it does seem like a lot of original artwork to produce! The scope of the project is really huge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for catching my error. The math now works out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Di Giovanni
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My limited english capability doesn't helps. I'm confused, how many cards am i missing by not buying the kickstarter (but by ipothetically buying all the expansions avalaible elsewhere)?
95 cards included the kickstarter exclusive expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarblade wrote:
I'm confused, how many cards am i missing by not buying the kickstarter (but by ipothetically buying all the expansions avalaible elsewhere)?
According to the spreadsheet from the linked thread you're missing:
96 cards in one KS exclusive expansion
97 cards from several KS exclusive stretch goals
So you'd get a total of 1147 cards (instead of 1350)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Di Giovanni
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok thanks, i'm very sad i missed the KS. I guess i'll have to give up to the speculators then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.