Risk» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How do you topple a turtle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Smart
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Hi, I just joined the site. I also just finished off a rather drawn out RISK match with my brother and was wondering if anyone has advice on countering the "Turtle" strategy?

Trying to get him to understand how bad of a strategy that is at the later stages, but so far I can't seem to beat it unless I get lucky enough to get a decent card turn in bonus, or have the luck of the dice on my side and hold him back for a few minutes. If it helps any, it's a sure bet that at some point he goes for Australia/Oceania, taking it and stockpiling troops for a bit before launching out and spreading himself thin... as well as drawing the game out.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section or if I've violated some sort of posting rules, I'm a newb and plan to get caught up on all the forum rules here pretty quick.

Long and short, I enjoy playing RISK with my brother a lot, just the whole turtle thing gets annoying and draggy and I'm stuck trying to counter it. Thanks for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mb

I guess the problem is two fold. One - it lengthens the game. Two - it works in terms of winning the game so your brother has no incentive to stop doing it.

You will have to make sure that you don't allow him to turtle by making sure you contest the areas you control in Australia (for example) more vigorously.

Of course you could use the same tactic on him. He might see that it isn't the most enjoyable way to play the game and you could find a house rule (a rule of your own that you both agree on) that stops it.

Risk can be a fun game but having played many games with my brother back in the say, I can sympathise with your dilemma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smart
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Good idea, trying to turtle against him. Admittedly I tend to focus more on my borders and branch when I feel ready, but I'll shift away from that next time we play (probably on his birthday, since I'm getting him his own set)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How do you topple a turtle?
First off, Welcome to BGG!

To answer your question: I agree with Jim's comments above. But I also would strongly suggest introducing a neutral player and/or army limits (say 12 per territory) to your game(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The attacker always has the advantage so if someone turtles, attack them from all sides. Attack until you can't attack anymore and thereby wear them done while the odds are in your favor. Risk is a game that favors risk taking and naked aggression. Among experienced players, turtling is a guaranteed losing strategy but it's a strong strategy for relative novices. You just have to learn to beat it. The key counter-intuitively is to attack any concentration of armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
whac3 wrote:
The attacker always has the advantage so if someone turtles, attack them from all sides. Attack until you can't attack anymore and thereby wear them done while the odds are in your favor. Risk is a game that favors risk taking and naked aggression. Among experienced players, turtling is a guaranteed losing strategy but it's a strong strategy for relative novices. You just have to learn to beat it. The key counter-intuitively is to attack any concentration of armies.

I mostly agree. In a 2-player game, you beat a Turtle either by wearing him down with relentless attacks, or by expanding uncontested elsewhere. The net result is the same: you start collecting more armies/turn than your opponent. Lean on him with your stronger income and eventually he'll fall over. 3-5 turns should be all you need.

With more players it gets trickier, since by throwing everything against the Turtle Stack, you also weaken yourself vs the ither players. The key here is smaller attacks by ALL players able to oppose the Turtle...which is why Turtling can be effective in 4-6 player games with beginner or intermediate players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smart
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
@ Chris: We usually play with some form of neutral,although we haven't tried army limits yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_s0317 wrote:
@ Chris: We usually play with some form of neutral, although we haven't tried army limits yet.

I personally think army limits a bad idea because they break the game's natural arms race fueled by sets of cards with increasing values of armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smart
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Good point. Occasionally he and I play with a few variants introduced in the 1998 ruleset, mainly commanders (once per battle, you can make one die a 6 on your side), or being able to reinforce any of your countries that are connected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving armies from one country among any continuous path is a standard change from the original rules set, as is random assignation of original countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smart
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
My set uses the old 1959 rules and random assignment via cards is actually how things start there lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_s0317 wrote:
My set uses the old 1959 rules and random assignment via cards is actually how things start there lol

During the 70's when I first encountered the game, the standard rules were t pick territories one by one in turns. I've seen the actual 1959 rules and this IIRC is what it says. The newer editions claiming to be 1959 rules took some liberties as I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.