$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Faction movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Locke
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check out my Youtube Channel: FatNastyNerd Runthroughs!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was playing the factions and could not figure out how moving the Ents or Deadmen work. Like, can they only be moved through the faction event cards or what? On the faction cards, it mentions how they can be moved and how they attack so can I just do that and not spend a die or card? If so, then those factions for the Free People are super OP!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
You need the appropriate Faction cards played to initiate movement or attacks.

Some factions get to tag along with Armies if they are in the same region (e.g. Hillmen).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check out my Youtube Channel: FatNastyNerd Runthroughs!
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed as much but couldn't find anything to clarify! Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
FantasyNerd8 wrote:
I assumed as much but couldn't find anything to clarify! Thank you!


Have a look at pages 13 (Dead Men) and 19 (Ents). Specifically the "Using the Dead Men" and "Using the Ents" sections.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the rules actually cover this it is not completely obvious. The rules could definitely be written in a clearer way. This also goes for LOME (especially the Smeagol part).

Perhaps it is time for a complete rulebook that includes the expansion rules and that is edited for clarity?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the page 13 of the Rulebook:
Quote:
The use of the Dead Men is explained by the relevant Faction Event cards. The Army of the Dead can move and attack when the Free Peoples plays a "Wraiths of Fear" Faction Event card.


From the page 19 of the Rulebook:
Quote:
The use of the Ents is explained by the relevant Faction Event cards. Ents can move and attack when the Free Peoples plays a "March of the Ents" Faction Event card.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
From the page 13 of the Rulebook:
Quote:
The use of the Dead Men is explained by the relevant Faction Event cards. The Army of the Dead can move and attack when the Free Peoples plays a "Wraiths of Fear" Faction Event card.


From the page 19 of the Rulebook:
Quote:
The use of the Ents is explained by the relevant Faction Event cards. Ents can move and attack when the Free Peoples plays a "March of the Ents" Faction Event card.



To play devil's advocate those quotes actually say nothing about moving factions with the action dice (like all other models).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because those Factions cannot be moved with Action dice. They can only be moved through card play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know. My point was that the rules could have been more clearly written.

I actually long for the good old days of concise rulebooks (Avalon Hill style).

WotR is certainly a great game, but the rulebooks are not very clear and make very poor reference books. It becomes particularly messy as you add the expansions.

Hence my suggestion for a new, re-edited rulebook, incorporating all rules in one volume and with, might I venture so far as to wish for, numbered paragraphs.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
I know. My point was that the rules could have been more clearly written.

I actually long for the good old days of concise rulebooks (Avalon Hill style).

WotR is certainly a great game, but the rulebooks are not very clear and make very poor reference books. It becomes particularly messy as you add the expansions.

Hence my suggestion for a new, re-edited rulebook, incorporating all rules in one volume and with, might I venture so far as to wish for, numbered paragraphs.



I've noticed they're going to include a Reference Book into the Anniversary Edition, with all keywords listed.

It'd be awesome if they'd not make it exclusive and release it online, which I suspect they will do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.