Subject: Purpose of Monster Tokens!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the purpose of the Goblins Player's monster tokens (discs)? As monsters are assigned to tribes using cards. Is it for some other events/secret cards? If it was to show them on the map once a tribe is being revealed, why only 2 of them then? I don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are referring to the cardboard circular Ogre and Troll tokens.

There is only two of these because you may get either a troll or ogre from your Monster deck and they both add +1 strength to the tribe you apply the monster too.
The card token can help you remember this, by placing it either on the card on your mat or on top of the tribes stack.
I put mine on the card and a red wooden disc on top of the tribe to show the added strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
I think you are referring to the cardboard circular Ogre and Troll tokens.

There is only two of these because you may get either a troll or ogre from your Monster deck and they both add +1 strength to the tribe you apply the monster too.
The card token can help you remember this, by placing it either on the card on your mat or on top of the tribes stack.
I put mine on the card and a red wooden disc on top of the tribe to show the added strength.

Ok. It's that simple. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could use the Monster Tokens like that, but that's not the purpose. (Normally you would just use the red disks to mark +1 Strength.)

Rather, the Monster Tokens are used only if you are playing a game with a Knight but no Goblin, and you are playing on higher Monster difficulty. At this higher difficulty level, when the Knight reveals an Ambush tile, she has to fight a Goblin, determined by drawing from the Monster deck. The Ogre and Troll have special effects that make them stay around if the Knight loses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Troll and Ogre tokens are never used by the Goblins player.

They used only with the Goblin Infestation variant card when playing games with the Knight but no Goblin player.

If you're using the Monster difficulty on the card, any time the Knight encounters an ambush space she draws a Monster card and refers to the small text on the bottom. If it's the Troll or Ogre, and she doesn't defeat it immediately, the corresponding token gets placed on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
The Troll and Ogre tokens are never used by the Goblins player.

They used only with the Goblin Infestation variant card when playing games with the Knight but no Goblin player.

If you're using the Monster difficulty on the card, any time the Knight encounters an ambush space she draws a Monster card and refers to the small text on the bottom. If it's the Troll or Ogre, and she doesn't defeat it immediately, the corresponding token gets placed on the map.

Now this makes mire sense!. There are so many layers in this game still to discover!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably would have been better just to tell the Knight player to use the red disc in context but here we are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But the red disks don't have any artwork! I much prefer having the monster tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.