Subject: IMPRESSED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until now I've allways ignored the games in this series.

Looking at the box the whole art gave me the feeling this must be a game from the 70s and probably to complicated to be any good.
Besides the price was off putting.

Recently I noticed a pleasantly priced introduction game to the series which aroused my interest and so I took a closer look.

So I then found the videos and I must say I am very much impressed about all the work the designer has done creating these videos to explain the workings of his games to new gamers.

Yes I am familiar with wargames, but still I really enjoy watching these detailed explanations.

It is very likely this may want me to buy the intro game.
Not sure if I'll buy more, seems like it's something you'd want to own everything of, once you've started.
Allthough I doubt if I can fit it all on the table or even in the room.
So best not to even consider it.

So, well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging by the list of games you have commented on, I'd say that you were right the first time: this game system is not for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree. The tutorial videos the developer produced are excellent; I wish more developers put that level of effort in.

http://spwgame.com/media/video-tutorials/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Why not?

Because DW is very much an old timey hex-and-counter type system, and of the 180 or so games you have rated the vast majority are Euros, while the small number of wargames are almost all lighter weight titles from Columbia or GMT's AmRev or COIN or C&C lines. The only two that are comparable seem to be Red Storm Over the Reich and Somme 1918, neither of which you seem to have actually played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for explaining.

Would you believe my ignorance of not really realising what type of games I own and if they are of he challinging type or not.
I rarely chose my game looking af the designer etc, but simply am attracted to the subject/period of a game.

Allthough I do aggree that those Columbia block game are simple and were more purchased to get the kids to become interested.

I think war and peace would qualify as an old time hex and counter time game, or not? It's one of my oldest games and I have great fondness for it.

Actually I did try and play RED STORM, having to play this solo is a bit of a pest but never the less enjoyable.

I really enjoyed the freedom of messing things up your own way but I also must confess the large map and the many units were a bit overwhelming.
I must confess I had to quite that game because I got hopelesly confused keeping track of which I'd move and which not.

I just watched the video in which the designer suggests that you turn a unit you've used, this is the movement video, and I can not help but wonder if that doens't make things confusing where facing is concerned, but no doubt I'll find out later in this video why it is not.

Really enjoying the video and the map and counter art are very pleasing, although having become use to the modern stuff, the map may take a slight bit of getting used to.

So I'm really tempted to get at least the introduction and was a bit disappointed when you seemed convinced I would not enjoy this.
Although I do appreciate your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have the whole series although like many others space limitations have kept me from playing the whole system. I too was most impressed by the tutorials and believe me this is a system that needs tutorials! LOL but I think for me the biggest thing was getting used to the map. If you are looking for a less daunting game but still with a good deal of complexity and innovation especially for a block game GMT will be releasing Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918sometime around the beginning of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James,

Of course I full well realised I won't have the room for it all, annoying as that may be.

But I figured that with this intro game I might at least be able get a small taste of the big pie.

Blockgames, I must confess that at one point I went a bit off them.
The whole turning these things to lose steps, I don't enjoy seeing my troops march off upside down.
The FOW when there probably should not be one.
Why do you think they had these enormous banners in olden wars?
It was to show the enemy, HERE we are, THIS is who we are, and now YOU better run.

But yes that means they might be better for more modern wars.
I've shortly considered blocks in the east -not related to this thread- but that too fell off of my list because of size.

Anyway appreciate your advise and will sure take note when the game you mention gets reviewed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.