Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Elvenia
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone here has the answer to this. Played my first game with a friend's copy and it seemed a bit too easy in game 1. Managed to get to the third villain without losing location 1 and then we had a question when we saw what the last villians reward was (remove a control token).

So...the question is does defeating a villain remove a control token even if it's not the reward? I'm paraphrasing from the rulebook here but it says that when all the tokens are on a location, heroes have until the end of turn to remove a token by playing a card that can remove a token or defeating a villain. The implied ruling here, to me at least, is that defeating any villain allows me to remove a control token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracy is ocrrect, there is no "implied" rule. By the time you get to year four, seven of the ten villain cards have removing a control token as part of the reward printed on the card. So its a pretty common reward, but not guaranteed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Elvenia
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
davypi wrote:
Tracy is ocrrect, there is no "implied" rule. By the time you get to year four, seven of the ten villain cards have removing a control token as part of the reward printed on the card. So its a pretty common reward, but not guaranteed.

Actually, it is implied, again to me at least, on pg. 12 after in the location section underneath the defeating a villain section. It does say that you have until the end of a turn to defeat a villain. Doesn't say anything specifically about the villain needing that particular reward.

Now, it makes more sense that defeating a villain with that reward removes the token while not having it stated on the villain card you don't. But again, the rulebook seemed to imply that I just needed to defeat a villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only remove control tokens when the game tells you to. The reason for the wording on the rule you describe is to outline a couple of cases.

1. A villain's reward removes a control token. So if that villain is defeated, the control is removed and play resumed.

2. The hero is able to defeat the last villain(s) on the turn that the last control token was placed. In this case, the heroes win, since the villains did not gain control of the last location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
korofrog wrote:
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone here has the answer to this. Played my first game with a friend's copy and it seemed a bit too easy in game 1. Managed to get to the third villain without losing location 1 and then we had a question when we saw what the last villians reward was (remove a control token).

So...the question is does defeating a villain remove a control token even if it's not the reward? I'm paraphrasing from the rulebook here but it says that when all the tokens are on a location, heroes have until the end of turn to remove a token by playing a card that can remove a token or defeating a villain. The implied ruling here, to me at least, is that defeating any villain allows me to remove a control token.

Imagine if the villian who's reward is 'remove a control token' appeared as the first of three villains.

Would you still have the same question?

Each villain has its own specific reward. Some of the time that reward includes removal of a location control marker. Timing those rewards to benefit the team can be a part of the strategy you form as you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
@TheRustyMeeple
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Or through the use of Expecto Patronum later in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.