Subject: Question about the story behind the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Is it there any TOS book related to the story in the game?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mapiu2001 wrote:

Are you asking if the game is based on a TV episode or a novel?

Bear in mind the game is based on the movie reboot so as such it doesn't have anything to do with TOS.

As far as I remember, Reiner did get a synopses of the movie script but I don't think it really influenced the design of the game apart to confirm which of the main characters appeared in it. Then again, I might be mistaken, it was quite a while ago now and I might be getting it mixed up with another IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I understand it is based in the movie reboot but it clear it didn´t influence the story in the game. it is the reason I wanted to know if someone see any similiarity with others ST books. Specially, from TOS.

Thanks for the answer,Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mapiu2001 wrote:
Yes, I understand it is based in the movie reboot but it clear it didn´t influence the story in the game. it is the reason I wanted to know if someone see any similiarity with others ST books. Specially, from TOS.

What I don't remember is where the setting (i.e. Nibia) came from. Did it come from the play-testers or did it come from Wiz-Kids?

The concepts of the Enterprise in orbit around a planet , the layout of the planet, the Politics, Rebels and Energy/Ecology tracks, they all came from Reiner's design.

Where the exact details of the game's plot came from, I'm not sure but I suspect it was from either Sebastian Bleasdale, Kevin Jacklin or Simon Kane (or for that matter one of the other playtetsers). We all were familiar with Star Trek (Reiner being the least familiar) but I can't remember if there was a particular fan or expert of the series among us. I doubt it was taken directly from a book or TV episode but no doubt it was influenced by various sources.

Now, if anyone can see any similarity with existing books, TV, movies, that's another matter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, Chris. It is a pleasure for me to meet here one of the original playtesters because I really love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
If you eat your burrito over a tortilla, anything that falls out will simply start building your next burrito!
badge
The first rule of chess club; Hide from fight club.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another poster pointed out in a different thread that Nibia was mentioned in the Wrath of Khan movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mapiu2001 wrote:
Thanks again, Chris. It is a pleasure for me to meet here one of the original playtesters because I really love this game.

It's a shame that Wiz-Kids effectively canned the game before it was even released. At the time they were more interested in their Fleet Captains game than this one

I was surprised to see that there was a minor expansion released (that contained three new crew members), designed by someone other than Reiner.

The reason I'm surprised is because we had playtested (or at least discussed) the exact same idea. That is, create an expansion pack with those three characters.

As far as I was aware, Reiner was never asked if he would look at creating expansions (which the design would easily cater for). I'm sure we discussed ways expansions could be created with new boards and Captain Log cards.

As far as I could tell, Wiz-Kids considered it a one-shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
robertg611 wrote:
Another poster pointed out in a different thread that Nibia was mentioned in the Wrath of Khan movie.

Heh, didn't know that.

Quote:
Joachim: We're all with you, sir . . . but consider this. We are free. We have a ship, and the means to go where we will. We have escaped permanent exile on Ceti Alpha V. You have proven your superior intellect, and defeated the plans of Admiral Kirk. You do not need to defeat him again.

Khan He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him. I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

Apparently this is taken from Moby Dick.

Quote:
But ’tis enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it.

Quote:
Aye, aye! and I’ll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition’s flames before I give him up.

I thought that Nibia might have come from a typical task Reiner would have issued to his playtesters. "Give me 5 good Star Trek planet names". He often did that.

The Nibia reference is certainly obscure but it seems to certainly be the origin of the name, still I wonder if it came from Wiz-Kids or the playtesters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
mapiu2001 wrote:

Bear in mind the game is based on the movie reboot so as such it doesn't have anything to do with TOS.

The artwork, and thus obviously the licencing, is all reboot. But the story has much more the feel of Classic Trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Dearlove wrote:
xris wrote:
mapiu2001 wrote:

The artwork, and thus obviously the licencing, is all reboot. But the story has much more the feel of Classic Trek.

Which is not surprizing since Reiner designed the game a while before the movie was released. None of us (the playtesters) had any idea what the movie would be like so all we could do is try and impart the feel of the original series across to Reiner. I don't think Reiner really watched any of Star Trek before so he mostly got the impression second-hand from his playtesters as to what a Star Trek game should feel like.

I think we did a good job

BTW, thank you Marc for the kind words above,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
As far as I could tell, Wiz-Kids considered it a one-shot.

That's odd. The lack of art on the game board made me think it was designed with an eye toward using it for alternate scenarios in different settings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.