$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always loved the feel of Descent and I played it many times, both first and second editions, both as a hero and the overlord. It is really a unique game and I always had a soft spot for it in my heart.

But I never even considered buying it. Something about Descent always seemed to me a little wrong. Maybe I just wasn't lucky but in groups I played with it just wasn't as fun as I expected it to be. And it happened almost every time.

1. The game didn't flow but dragged. Too many discussions between players. Where ideally (for me) heroes should think and act quickly, it took us sometimes up to 20 minutes and more to discuss each turn before we even started doing anything. Often the overlord and the players didn't agree on something and started digging up rules and FAQs to prove their cases which also didn't improve the overall experience.

2. Confrontation. I don't really enjoy confrontation between the overlord and heroes, I mean the fact that the overlord actually plays to win and not just moderates the experience for other players. I'm sure many players like it but in groups I played with it was not a very fun experience. For some reason people took it almost personally and it felt bad for me.

And now all that is changed! A friend of mine told me about the Road to Legend App and at once I realized that now we will be able to play Descent at home and really enjoy it! It took me a week to buy the base game after I learned about the app and now I'm considering various expansions. Thank you FFG for doing this, I feel so ridiculously happy! Please continue to develop more campaigns. You are great!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got it also...and I love how it plays with the app.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game mostly sat on the shelf until the app came out. My most consistent game partner is my wife and although she loves heroic fantasy, the 1v1 mechanic fell flat with her.

With RtL Descent regularly hits the table and we've even painted all the mini's. I owned a small box expansion and a couple of H & M packs. When FFG announced Delve, I decided to buy a large expansion.

The app really made a difference for me. And based on what you stated I think you may have a similar experience. Set up time is minimal. Almost all rules debates come down to "shall we interpret this the hard way or the easy way" and we play on.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:


1. The game didn't flow but dragged. Too many discussions between players. Where ideally (for me) heroes should think and act quickly, it took us sometimes up to 20 minutes and more to discuss each turn before we even started doing anything.

surprisewowshake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats! I've been tempted too, but I'm already keeping FFG's LCGs afloat. Hope you're not a completist as I am. If so, you might need some of these:


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
The app is great. I am a diehard fan of the first edition, but being able to play without an overlord is incredible and enough for me to play the second edition more often.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
magnitt wrote:

But I never even considered buying it. Something about Descent always seemed to me a little wrong. Maybe I just wasn't lucky but in groups I played with it just wasn't as fun as I expected it to be. And it happened almost every time.

1. The game didn't flow but dragged. Too many discussions between players. Where ideally (for me) heroes should think and act quickly, it took us sometimes up to 20 minutes and more to discuss each turn before we even started doing anything.


The App isn't going to solve that.

This isn't actually a Descent issue either. If your team has a hard time getting on the same page/doesn't work well together any coop is going to suffer from this and the more they need to work together the worse it will get.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucho22 wrote:
magnitt wrote:

But I never even considered buying it. Something about Descent always seemed to me a little wrong. Maybe I just wasn't lucky but in groups I played with it just wasn't as fun as I expected it to be. And it happened almost every time.

1. The game didn't flow but dragged. Too many discussions between players. Where ideally (for me) heroes should think and act quickly, it took us sometimes up to 20 minutes and more to discuss each turn before we even started doing anything.


The App isn't going to solve that.

This isn't actually a Descent issue either. If your team has a hard time getting on the same page/doesn't work well together any coop is going to suffer from this and the more they need to work together the worse it will get.


You see, part of the problem was that people in my group usually tried to develop a plan for the whole encounter, not just one step at a time. It is a reasonable approach, of course, but often it lead to lengthy discussions and disagreements. And with the Road to Legend it will be different because the map is not fully revealed at the beginning of an encounter.

Still, maybe you are right that I still would've had trouble playing Descent with some of the groups I played before. But Road to Legend actually makes it possible for me to play the game at home, with just my wife and kids maybe. I am quite sure that it will be a much more comfortable experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.