Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building the Influence deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Hi,

Last night, during our second play of REX, we encountered a sad distribution of the Influence deck : the four Temporary Ceasefire cards were stuck into the last six cards of the deck, the latter containing only sixteen cards...

As the game ended of 6th turn with an "alone-win" (no ally) of Lazax player, that means we never had the opportunity to form any alliance : that's a pity.

So my question is : does anyone already try to build the Influence deck in a pandemic-like way during setup ?

I mean, to form four 4-cards decks, put one Temporary Ceasefire on top of each deck, shuffle each deck individually then stack each one on the other. Thus forming a deck where you know for sure that a first Temporary Ceasefire will occur in the first 4 cards, the second one will occur in the first 5 to 8 cards and so on.

Does this sounds weird to experimented players of REX ?

Thanx.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What many people do for sure is build 2 decks. One containing Sol offensives and Temporary ceasefires only. The other containing the influence cards. Then they'd draw once from a deck and the following round from the other so to increase the chances of drawing either temporary ceasefires or sol offensives.

I don't mind to knowing when and if a temp ceasefire will come out. That's one of the thrills in Rex.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Soul_Guile wrote:
What many people do for sure is build 2 decks. One containing Sol offensives and Temporary ceasefires only. The other containing the influence cards. Then they'd draw once from a deck and the following round from the other so to increase the chances of drawing either temporary ceasefires or sol offensives.

That's an idea. But it sounds a bit unbalanced to me and too predictable.

Soul_Guile wrote:

I don't mind to knowing when and if a temp ceasefire will come out. That's one of the thrills in Rex.


We don't mind too. But on the other hand, it's disappointed when no Temporary Ceasefire occurs at all.

Thank you for your comment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haz Dhim
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We always use the pandemic shuffle. It's just somewhat less fun when no alliances happen, or when the early-game alliances get set in stone because all ceasefire cards were at the top/bottom of the deck.

No such complaints since we started shuffling the cards the way you described, and still enough randomness/uncertainty to make though decisions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Gaedr wrote:
We always use the pandemic shuffle. It's just somewhat less fun when no alliances happen, or when the early-game alliances get set in stone because all ceasefire cards were at the top/bottom of the deck.

No such complaints since we started shuffling the cards the way you described, and still enough randomness/uncertainty to make though decisions.

Thanks for your feedback.

Definitely, I think we'll apply the pandemic shuffle too. thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game is different. The variance of the Influence deck is part of that and what ends to games ending differently and different alliances happening.

Sometimes players bank on an alliance card coming up soon and it doesn't or Jol-Nar lies about it and that's interesting. Sometimes an unexpected Ceasefire comes up right after another one and a player who just gave everything he had to an alliance gets dropped, etc.

I would hate if because of Pandemic-style shuffle I know for a fact that there will not be a Temporary Ceasefire next 3 rounds because there was already one in round 5.

Do whatever you want to your own game, but it's not necessary to have pandemic style shuffle and I would never do that; if Alliances show up late there is still a game to play.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
Every game is different. The variance of the Influence deck is part of that and what ends to games ending differently and different alliances happening.

Sometimes players bank on an alliance card coming up soon and it doesn't or Jol-Nar lies about it and that's interesting. Sometimes an unexpected Ceasefire comes up right after another one and a player who just gave everything he had to an alliance gets dropped, etc.

I would hate if because of Pandemic-style shuffle I know for a fact that there will not be a Temporary Ceasefire next 3 rounds because there was already one in round 5.

Do whatever you want to your own game, but it's not necessary to have pandemic style shuffle and I would never do that; if Alliances show up late there is still a game to play.


Thank you for you feedback too, SirHandsome. thumbsup

I understand your point of view and maybe you're right : if the game is designed this way, why trying to modify it ?

Well. It was only our second play of REX. So, I think we need more plays prior to modify anything during the setup. Let's see if what happened happens again or not. And if yes, if it happens rarely or not.

Anyway, thank for your comment, guys.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haz Dhim
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
I would hate if because of Pandemic-style shuffle I know for a fact that there will not be a Temporary Ceasefire next 3 rounds because there was already one in round 5.

Actually, you wouldn't know that. During setup, you're making 4 stacks, each with one temporary ceasefire. Which means that the other 3 cards can be any combination of influence drops (8 cards) and sol offensives (4 cards). Because of this, you don't know how many 'rounds' will be in each stack.

Remember that the rules don't just say 'draw one card each round': they tell you to draw and resolve one card, and if it wasn't an influence drop, you have to draw a second card. And if necessary a third one, etc., all within one round.

Rules, page 14 wrote:
After resolving the “Sol Offensive” card, it is returned to the game box and a new Influence card is drawn and resolved. If another “Sol Offensive” card is drawn during this phase, it is returned to the game box without effect and a replacement is drawn.

Since you always draw until you get an influence drop, you don't know how many rounds each stack will last. Not until you've drawn all the sol offensives, at least. You only know that the ceasefire cards are divided relatively evenly over the course of the game.

Hope I'm not making things sound overly complicated here
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Gaedr wrote:

Hope I'm not making things sound overly complicated here


That's perfectly clear !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Furthermore, I would add that this mechanism of Pandemic-style shuffle is also used to build the event deck in Fire in the Lake for the distribution of the Coup cards. And it works fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
Mickski wrote:
Hi,

Last night, during our second play of REX, we encountered a sad distribution of the Influence deck : the four Temporary Ceasefire cards were stuck into the last six cards of the deck, the latter containing only sixteen cards...

As the game ended of 6th turn with an "alone-win" (no ally) of Lazax player, that means we never had the opportunity to form any alliance : that's a pity.

So my question is : does anyone already try to build the Influence deck in a pandemic-like way during setup ?

I mean, to form four 4-cards decks, put one Temporary Ceasefire on top of each deck, shuffle each deck individually then stack each one on the other. Thus forming a deck where you know for sure that a first Temporary Ceasefire will occur in the first 4 cards, the second one will occur in the first 5 to 8 cards and so on.

Does this sounds weird to experimented players of REX ?

Thanx.


I've only played once so cannot speak from a lot of experience. Anyway in my only game the experience was the opposite. The first two influence cards were both alliance cards. I think that was quite weird. Obviously the second card didn't affect the game play at all so it was basically just wasted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
jutuomin wrote:
Mickski wrote:
Hi,

Last night, during our second play of REX, we encountered a sad distribution of the Influence deck : the four Temporary Ceasefire cards were stuck into the last six cards of the deck, the latter containing only sixteen cards...

As the game ended of 6th turn with an "alone-win" (no ally) of Lazax player, that means we never had the opportunity to form any alliance : that's a pity.

So my question is : does anyone already try to build the Influence deck in a pandemic-like way during setup ?

I mean, to form four 4-cards decks, put one Temporary Ceasefire on top of each deck, shuffle each deck individually then stack each one on the other. Thus forming a deck where you know for sure that a first Temporary Ceasefire will occur in the first 4 cards, the second one will occur in the first 5 to 8 cards and so on.

Does this sounds weird to experimented players of REX ?

Thanx.


I've only played once so cannot speak from a lot of experience. Anyway in my only game the experience was the opposte. The first two influence cards were both alliance cards. I think that was quite weird. Obviously the second card didn't affect the game play at all so it was basically just wasted.

Indeed, this could also occured and it's really bad luck.

Definitely, the pandemic-like setup of the Influence deck would solve both issues.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.