Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been casting covetous glances in the direction of the upcoming release of Doom from FFG.

Of course, its likely release date of late November/early December means it will be competing with the list of stuff to buy for Christmas.

Mulling this over, and reading the info on the FFG website, I am wondering whether it is better to put Doom to one side given that I already have Descent 2e and Imperial Assault.

From reading the FFG website I would not say it was the same type of system as Descent 2e or Imperial Assault but I am thinking that maybe the experience of Doom might be similar to these two games.

What do you guys think? Is Doom likely to offer a markedly different game experience from Descent 2e and Imperial Assault to make it worth buying upon release? Or is the game likely to be similar to these two games and thus can be shifted to "maybe purchase sometime in 2017 if I have some spare cash" status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm wondering the same thing really, although from the limited information available, I suggest not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough life when one's wallet cannot easily keep up with FFG's release schedule cry... EH: The Dreamlands and MoM 2e: Beyond the Threshold! add to the strain as well.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding from looking at the pictures and reading the description this is not based on the Descent/Imperial Assault system. It may have some similarities though and game-play seems to be like Imperial Assault skirmish mode and is not campaign/story based. Combat definitely does not seem to be the same (dice are different).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Doom at GenCon (I also own descent 2e and imperial assault).

Doom did feel different. It does have some overlapping design elements and we quickly took to it since we play the other similar games.

I guess you could say it's essentially an evolution of the prior games. If that's worth purchasing or not is a matter of opinion. But I'd say from what I saw so far and my one demo- it was different enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hann
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Also from what I remember at Gencon, this is not a campaign style game where you gain XP and items from mission to mission. This is more of a one off game where you still follow a story but no worries about keeping the same group and characters every game. This is nice if you're playing with different people every game night like our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments gentlemen.

It sounds like it will be sufficiently different from Descent 2e and Imperial Assault to think about adding to my collection.

In respect of this, I am wondering just how popular this game will be on release. I have in mind that I will wait until early in 2017 to grab a copy, assuming that in the initial wave from the distributors to stores in the UK don't all get swallowed up by a legion of Doom fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petteri Heino
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hannman wrote:
This is more of a one off game where you still follow a story but no worries about keeping the same group and characters every game.

Ok. Instant buy in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
But it's basically an overlord system like Descent and Imperial Assault with some smaller changes, right?
I already sold Imperial Assault, to keep Descent and this looks like another iteration of that system to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balerion84 wrote:
But it's basically an overlord system like Descent and Imperial Assault with some smaller changes, right?
I already sold Imperial Assault, to keep Descent and this looks like another iteration of that system to me.

It seems like there will be a fair bit of surface level similarities. At it's heart, it's a game about the hero-characters traveling the board to complete objectives and kill the monsters that get in their way. Dice combat, special abilities, tactical movement, etc.

But it seems to have a few interesting things going for it that feel like they will drastically transform the experience. Like the deck-building element, glory kills, the heroes immediately respawning after death, etc. I also like the inclusion of the campaign style that doesn't require a "front to back" commitment. That you can play a "campaign" of interconnected scenarios but you're also not bound by a progression system in the style of Descent or IA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balerion84 wrote:

Reading about it so far it sounds much closer to Gears of War, where it's players against an AI card system. There's no demon player as far as I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Summerfield
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
There's no demon player as far as I can see.

Are you talking about the new DOOM Board Game? Because in the previews on the Fantasy Flight Games website and the videos showcasing the game on YouTube, there are clearly human players controlling the demons.

Heck, you check this video out if you haven't already: Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8GVvcZh44

If you're talking solely about Gears of War TBG, then yes there is no demon/monster player, but the new DOOM board game definitely does have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, right you are. My mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Summerfield
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I just wanted to clear that up. It would be a shame if you bought the game expecting one thing and got another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously tempted to get this....but my group and I still have to go through another Imperial Assault campaign. That and I don't know if I'll have time to play this what with all the new Kingdom Death: Monster stuff coming my way.

So many games....so little time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is the big conundrum with this game. The system is different but the structure of the game is close enough to other dungeon crawlers that there's quite a bit of competition. Other recent releases like Conan and TMNT do more to distance themselves from their peers.

The real big selling point of Doom are the player weapon decks. Each player deck consists of action cards made up of card sets from the weapons they possess. When you pickup the Chainsaw and add those 3 cards to your deck, it feels amazing. It feels a bit like the recent release Adrenaline and manages to capture that frenetic pace of FPS games quite well.

This, and the Glory Kill mechanism where you can move onto a wounded demon's space to auto-kill it and gain a nifty one time use card really help the arcade FPS feel and make this game stand apart.

I wish the overlord player or structure of missions was a little more unique though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Mutanto wrote:
Hannman wrote:
This is more of a one off game where you still follow a story but no worries about keeping the same group and characters every game.

Coming in late here. On top of Descent and Imperial Assault I also have Level 7: Omega Protocol, which scratches the itch described above very nicely.

Given that, does this offer anything I don't already have covered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
El_Mutanto wrote:
Hannman wrote:

Coming in late here. On top of Descent and Imperial Assault I also have Level 7: Omega Protocol, which scratches the itch described above very nicely.

Given that, does this offer anything I don't already have covered?

I think it comes down to how much you enjoy the weapon/deck mechanic for the marines. I think it's much more interesting than Descent/Imperial Assault and is reminiscent slightly of Myth or Gears of War.

The Overlord player is also slightly more fun IMO than in Descent/Imperial Assault but it's not drastically different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels like FFG has one too many tactical minis game lines at this point. And I adore tactical minis games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Dastardly
msg tools
So I have Imperial Assault, for those who have Doom now is it different enough to purchase if you have IA.
I take it Doom needs less commitment and can be played standalone without campaign etc ,is it quicker to play set up?
I love Doom the video game so I am tempted.
Any advice ,insight much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stenchman wrote:
So I have Imperial Assault, for those who have Doom now is it different enough to purchase if you have IA?

If you're a fan of the DOOM franchise and you like this style of tactical minis games, I think it's a no-brainer. I've played Descent and IA and own the latter. They all share some similar core elements but they are all ultimately different experiences. I'm still brand new to DOOM but from what I've seen, it's focus is much more on the Overlord and Marine players stomping all over each other. For that reason, I see some indications that I think the Overlord's role is much more enjoyable than in the other games, because his job is laser-focused on doing exactly that.

Stenchman wrote:
I take it Doom needs less commitment and can be played standalone without campaign etc

Yes. DOOM's "operations" are designed such that you can play them out in mini-campaigns if you want to, or you can just pick-and-play individual missions however you like. The rules even give you an option to create a randomized campaign. And on top of that, there's a lot of space here for an ambitious Overlord to create custom missions and tweak the set-up. This idea really excites me, personally.

Stenchman wrote:
is it quicker to play set up?

Set-up is probably close to the same, although it may be slightly quicker because a) there are fewer map tiles to search through and b) fewer decks of cards to mess with. Play-length is still under investigation but so far it seems to be about the same, maybe slightly longer as the maps seem a little bit larger on average.

Stenchman wrote:
I love Doom the video game so I am tempted.
Any advice ,insight much appreciated.

If you love DOOM, then I think this is about the best kind of game you could ask for. The components are beautiful and it all feels authentic. The action is fast and brutal, the weapons feel powerful, the demons have unique behaviors and there are a lot of ways to customize the experience out of the box. In short, I'm really impressed with how this game has turned out. Even though it lacks some of that RPG-like depth that you can get from Descent or IA, it makes up for it by being easier to jump in and out of than those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Dastardly
msg tools
Thanks for the info,I think I will get this then when it becomes available in the uk next week,hopefully get some games in over the Christmas.
Happy Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.