Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Radioplay - Official Audio fluff for your game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Bock
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought some of you might not have found it yet: Riot released some Radioplay for Mechs VS Minions.
You can select your mission and then the Yordles will give you a quick introduction and maybe more. I have only listened to the first one because I didn't want to get spoilered, so I can't say what all of them are like.

They took the original voice actors from the videogame. As I play LoL it's very cool to hear Rumble and the others talk to you with their original voices. I guess it's not for everyone but I would recommend you listen to the introduction and just try it out over the first mission. Personally I think it's a great idea and helps to feel like you are a part of "Team Yordle"

Here's the link:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions/c...

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad you mentioned this! I hope everyone remembers to use these as they play through the campaign. They're super well produced and just put the icing on top of an already great theme.

Also, don't forget about the soundtrack files if you want some extra ambiance while you play. They have one for both the grass and lava tiles and each one is about 10 minutes.

Link - https://news-a.akamaihd.net/public/microsite_assets/mvm/MvMS...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love having this sort of stuff to add to the game. Adds nothing to the gameplay...adds a TON to the thematic immersion!

Once again, well done Riot Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Olivier
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I really like the soundtracks. I only listened to the first Radioplay. It sounds a little cheesy but it could be fun with the kids. I went ahead and downloaded all of it. Can't knock it til you try it.

They didn't have to make any of this, but they sure deserve a lot of credit for going all out to make their game an experience. Can't wait to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
[q="SinTyrax"
They took the original voice actors from the videogame. As I play LoL it's very cool to hear Rumble and the others talk to you with their original voices.[/q]

From what I understood (and heard), the voices from the developers of the boardgame, not from the voice actors from the videogame.

They sound similar, but Corki and Heimerdinger don't sound like the characters from LoL. Sure, they have a resemblance, but they are not from the same voice actors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dubbie wrote:
SinTyrax wrote:

They took the original voice actors from the videogame. As I play LoL it's very cool to hear Rumble and the others talk to you with their original voices.

From what I understood (and heard), the voices from the developers of the boardgame, not from the voice actors from the videogame.

They sound similar, but Corki and Heimerdinger don't sound like the characters from LoL. Sure, they have a resemblance, but they are not from the same voice actors.

According to this http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/mechs-vs-minions/K... they brought in at least some of the original voice actors. I would be curious to see which of the characters (if not all) are played by their original actors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
thebaker1983 wrote:
Dubbie wrote:
SinTyrax wrote:

They took the original voice actors from the videogame. As I play LoL it's very cool to hear Rumble and the others talk to you with their original voices.

According to this http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/mechs-vs-minions/K... they brought in at least some of the original voice actors. I would be curious to see which of the characters (if not all) are played by their original actors.

Oh well, my bad then! I thought they sounded similar, but not 100% the same. Ignore my previous comment then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tristana was recast when we did her visual update a couple years back. Our Tristana is the same one that is currently in League. Same with Heimerdinger, Ziggs, and Rumble.

Corki was recast. I suspect the main problem with Corki is that in-game uses a radio filter to sound like he's on a ham radio. But we needed Rumble to be able to do that to show distance, so we used 'unfiltered' Corki; which I'm sure is a bit jarring. The radio play was a silly thing and we had a lot of fun recording it. With only 2-3 minutes per playback, we didn't have a lot of time for true character development, so we kept the story pretty light and aimed for a few occasional chuckles.

It won't be for everyone, but I was really proud of the team that made it. As a league fan, I just thought it was cool hearing our characters talk back and forth to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
Tristana was recast when we did her visual update a couple years back. Our Tristana is the same one that is currently in League. Same with Heimerdinger, Ziggs, and Rumble.

Corki was recast. I suspect the main problem with Corki is that in-game uses a radio filter to sound like he's on a ham radio. But we needed Rumble to be able to do that to show distance, so we used 'unfiltered' Corki; which I'm sure is a bit jarring. The radio play was a silly thing and we had a lot of fun recording it. With only 2-3 minutes per playback, we didn't have a lot of time for true character development, so we kept the story pretty light and aimed for a few occasional chuckles.

It won't be for everyone, but I was really proud of the team that made it. As a league fan, I just thought it was cool hearing our characters talk back and forth to each other.

I'm very excited to use it during our games! Love this sort of thing. Y'all's effort is much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dubbie wrote:
I thought they sounded similar, but not 100% the same.

Besides the difference in post-production that Chris Cantrell described, there's another thing to keep in mind.

I've had several opportunities to listen to raw audio files from a voice recording session that lasted a full day. If one compares the recordings from the start of that session to those made close to the end of it, it's sometimes hard to believe that it's the same actor speaking. Over the course of the day, the actor will get more and more into the character they're representing (plus their voice will obviously get more strained and hoarse after a full day of talking).
Now imagine the difference in intonation, characterisation and voice tone when the same actor is called back to the studio to reprise the role of a character they recorded months or even years ago ... Even if it's the same actor, it may sound quite different from what they recorded in that earlier session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:

Thanks. I thought it was him who was recast. It sounded like Ziggs was recast too, but I guess not.

Love the radio play, really gets you into the universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
As a league fan, I just thought it was cool hearing our characters talk back and forth to each other.

Are you familiar with Space Alert? As a future web scenario, you could have audio as part of the gameplay. Voices could have the characters announce threats (minions) appearing on the board (runes), give players objectives in the middle of the game (eg. place purple tokens on runes), change the command boards (eg. "Everyone can draw a command card and place it on his board"), etc. etc.

Might be amusing to have a voice who starts cool and composed, and starts going nuts as the scenario gets intense...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Bock
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Are you familiar with Space Alert? As a future web scenario, you could have audio as part of the gameplay. Voices could have the characters announce threats (minions) appearing on the board (runes), give players objectives in the middle of the game (eg. place purple tokens on runes), change the command boards (eg. "Everyone can draw a command card and place it on his board"), etc. etc.

Might be amusing to have a voice who starts cool and composed, and starts going nuts as the scenario gets intense...!

This sounds very cool but I think it would be very hard to implement without the players having to interact with an App or something else to keep everything in sync.
Personally I would love some kind of realistic and dynamic audio gameplay. But I wouldn't want it if I had to do all the "work", thus distracting me from the real game.

I remember old videogames when the dynamic music didn't work porperly all the time. Sometimes the "battle music" started playing while you where peacefully building up your village or the other way round. Or you heard the voices of your villagers talking about a peaceful time while you were in the middle of a battle.

I'm not familiar with space alert. How does it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Riot Kades wrote:
As a league fan, I just thought it was cool hearing our characters talk back and forth to each other.

Oh yeah! Space Alert-like MvM is very interesting idea! If Riot do this as a downloadable app, I'd love to pay!

For those who are not familiar with Space Alert, it's a real time programming game. You and your friends play as a team of cadets in a space ship. You'll listen to the audio file which narrate threat and enemies coming on certain turn. You react accordingly, trying to program your in-game characters to deal with the threat. It's hilariously fun and be prepared to be destroyed by the enemies, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance House
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
These are great. Is there a link/way to download them so i can play them offline and not have to stream them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Larnz wrote:
These are great. Is there a link/way to download them so i can play them offline and not have to stream them?

Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.