Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Colony» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First Impressions: Spiel 16 Colony rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So we played Colony at Spiel. Here are our first impressions, after one demo game. I will compare it to some other games and of course this is not a full review

N Theme isn't strong, but we appreciated the post-apocalyptic setting and it features a nice technical design. (Same semi-theme-involvement as Dominion here)

N The dice as ressources are satisfying and so is your colony and sense of improvement while you build new cards and upgrade them. (Comparable to Race for the Galaxy)

E Most cards feature victory points and it seems you can win by dully accumulating some of them.

SE Building an engine seems hard, decisions are mostly tactical. We never came to the point, that individual card combos really worked, the diverse card costs in combination with dice luck prohibited a greater strategy or engine. Maybe this was due to the demo deck of cards. If this is a pro or con depends on the players (Much less engine building than in RftG and maybe Dominion and more luck based/ less dice rolls than for example in Steampunk Rally)

SE Card costs are depicted in pips (of a die). While this fits the technical artwork and design, it makes an overview over the different costs and requirements really hard. Imagine 10 cards, each with 3-6 small standard dice on them - easily you mistake a two for a three or loose the overall orientation. Not a big problem, but introduced unneccessary mental strain. Replacing pips with colored sides of a die would have had greatly improved this point.

S Down-time with four people. We think a two or three player game greatly improves down-time. The problem is, that in every turn each player rolls three dice and gives two of them to the next player, who also gives one of them to the next player. So there is a constant trickle of information about your pips for your next turn and additionally the biggest information is missing and coming right at the start of your turn (the three dice you chose one from, at the beginning of your turn). This makes planning almost impossible - especially if you just finished your turn in a four player game, you can simply sit down and let your mind wander because you are missing almost all information about your future ressources. (Big drawback against Dominion, RftG or Steampunk Rally)

So while this sounds quite harsh, we nevertheless had fun. I'm eager to see in future plays and reviews if the mentioned drawbacks regarding down-time and engine building really affect the game in the depicted manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Was about to write my own first impressions, but you covered most of what I was about to say.

I played a practice game at Spiel against someone who already had played once, and I almost won. I played a few more games last night solo as well. Very enjoyable, and the way the dice interact and can be exchanged is a really fun mechanic. It also limits the impact of randomness, as you can affect your roll results.

Agree on the weak theme, which is my main criticism. Counting pips can get a bit tedious, too. Only played with two players and solo so can't comment on the down-time with more players.

Low VP winning condition seems like a constraint, but I'd just increase them for more experienced players. It seems that it's the intention, as the VP track has 25 points although the max is 20 points according to the rules.

Despite my small criticisms above, this was the only game I bought at Spiel. I see a lot of replay potential to find optimum tactics, and the solo play option works really well although it is quite a different game without the ability to trade or attack/defend.

I had the fortune of meeting Mr Alspach (one of the designers) at Spiel, and he was very friendly and appreciated my comments, even after five (six?) days at the fair!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffeli wrote:
Low VP winning condition seems like a constraint, but I'd just increase them for more experienced players. It seems that it's the intention, as the VP track has 25 points although the max is 20 points according to the rules.

Thanks for your report. You are right, increasing the VP target could facilitate some more patient strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to sound like a fan-boy, but I have enjoyed avery non-werewolf Alspach I've played, and this is no exception.

We played our first game, four players, using the basic-game setup but without the extra first-game advances. The game did seem to drag. There was a lot of down-time in a four-player game, and I probably won't play four anymore. My friends did not enjoy the game as much as I did, and were very pleased when I bought the "Prize Safe" and happened to roll 5-5-6, bring the game 5 points closer to a conclusion. But I found it very enjoyable and hope to get it back on the table.

I tend to prefer the kinds of games that people deride as "multi-player solitaire". I prefer the feeling that I won or lost based on my own skill or lack, and not because somebody decided to attack me every chance they got.

I do kinda agree that the points mechanism is anti-climactic. You don't get points for doing much, just for buying more stuff.

Maybe we just need to try the super-attack card setup from the rule book. That might have decreased the downtime and the dragging feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.