Subject: 6-8 Months to complete a campaign - too long? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
From my (limited) experience it takes roughly eight months for FFG to release a deluxe expansion and cycle afterwards.
Since each campaign, afaik, is composed of a deluxe and a cycle, it means that you have to wait ~six to eight months in real life in order to finish the campaign after starting it.
This just seems to throw all the fun out the window, if after completing a scenario, now you either re-start the campaign to replay the scenario or wait another 4-6 weeks for the next scenario...

The alternative is just to wait until all the cycle is release and than purchase... and that the cost for a single campaign is ~120USD which is very expensive (In Descent you get another campaign for less than half that)

It just seems to me that the release model for "regular" LCG is sub-optimal for Arkham LCG. On the other hand the core set seems a better value compared to other LCG core sets...
I really hope that FFG hold an ace in its sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the $120 (which is full undiscounted price, by the way) is not the price of just the campaign, but also many player cards that you'll be able to use in future (and past) campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you intend to just play through a campaign once and be done then yeah it is a long wait. But for anyway who likes to build decks, tackle higher difficulties, play all characters, etc. it won't seem that long. We'll be playing while we're waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
California
flag msg tools
How long does it take for other games, say Descent, to release expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to bulk-buy each campaign when it's completely published. Then I'll start the campaign by opening only the deluxe, and I'll crack open the first mythos pack once we complete the 2 scenarios in the deluxe, and so on. I'm aming for something of a Legacy feeling, "let's open up this new pack and see what new cards and stuff we can swap into the decks now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's hurt the standard LOTR cycles too much (they are thematically campaigns, just without the carry over). And the grand LOTR Campaign has been going for 3 years! It's probably a case where many people will play the individual scenarios as stand alone a few times before doing the campaign proper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to play standalone scenarios. I'm in this for the campaign.

And while I'm tempted to wait until all the scenarios in a campaign are available so I can binge play the entire thing, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to wait and will no doubt play them as released.

Actually, it might be interesting to eagerly await the next release to continue my campaign. Kind of like being excited waiting for the next issue of a comic or next episode of a show.

I think this will become easier with future cycles. I can start the new campaign then binge on a different campaign while waiting for the next installment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty certain it will end up being too aggressive for me. I lost control of the other three LCGs I started within a few months. Had fun but couldn't keep up. In LotR I replayed the first scenarios many times with different builds. Plenty of gameplay with the variety of the sets.

Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Smythe
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
They've already announced the first deluxe and mythos pack and since deluxe will come first in a cycle this time, I can't imagine it would be too far down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least with the core box being an entire Campaign you can experience a full run without having to commit to a full cycle purchase (and wait times). I missed the first LOTR cycle but apparently there was quite a delay on the first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even if you want to wait and then binge, what's to stop you buying them on release (easier and more palatable cost) and then only play them once you've got all 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon George
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just plan to play partial campaigns in the meantime. When Dunwich comes out I'll play a couple 2-scenario campaigns, then I'll play a 3-scenario campaign when Miskatonic comes out, then a 4-scenario when Express comes out, etc. I'll get to use new player cards that way too, rather than looking longingly at them hoping I get enough XP to try some.

Just playing one game a month, or having many campaigns all stalled at the same spot for a month, doesn't interest me. If playing partial campaigns isn't satisfying then I'll start waiting for full cycles to release as others have suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
Even if you want to wait and then binge, what's to stop you buying them on release (easier and more palatable cost) and then only play them once you've got all 6?

It's pretty much how I plan to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you played the core campaign and had no urge to play the scenarios again to see slightly different outcomes or try different decks/strategies I think you should think hard on whether this game is for you. The game sort of assumes you'll be engaged with it at that level. It's a pretty big financial investment for a one and done kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timpkmn89
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I can't say the release schedules it that appealing to me either.

And waiting for it all to come out runs the risk of not everything being in stock at the end of the cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
As noted above, even if you want to wait to play the entire campaign together it's still worthwhile getting the packs as they come out because they will add cards you can use right now in the base game campaign: extra player cards to give you deckbuilding options, the 5 new investigators. It's even possible (I daresay likely) that there will be new Encounter cards that will add to the sets in the base game too (new 'Rats' or 'Locked Door' cards for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
It's even possible (I daresay likely) that there will be new Encounter cards that will add to the sets in the base game too (new 'Rats' or 'Locked Door' cards for example).

That seems unlikelly, as they would have to retest all previous scenarios to see if they are balanced with the new additions. Not worth the investment. For tougher experiences they crafted different difficulties in the chaos bags, so that should do the trick.

I might be wrong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.