9 Posts

Kanagawa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Staying in school 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Baier
Germany
flag msg tools
Let's say that in a 2 player game I pass and my opponent takes one card. Then I would put out one more card. Is it possible for me to pass once more for the third card to come out or do I have to take the 2 cards at this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Dux
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No,
When you are alone when you add a new card, you have to take the cards. You cannot wait another time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm Nico's answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just tried our first game (2P) and were a bit confused by some of the rules. At the beginning, first player passes, so the second player is forced to take a card? Or can pass as well?

First round: P1 pass, P2 forced to take a card. Assistent pawn changes players, so P2 becomes P1? Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Quach
msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I gather if p1 in a 2p game passes, p2 can choose to pass or take a column. If p2 passes the second row is filled in and p1 chooses to take or pass.

If you are alone in the school if you choose to pass you will add a 3rd row just for yourself and take the cards. If you don't pass you take the cards there.

assistant pawn only changes if the card taken has the icon on it and is used in the studio and not the print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Schmieder
msg tools
mbmb
But the rules say that if you are alone in school when deciding whether to take a column or pass, you HAVE to take a column. So when P1 takes a column, then P2 is alone at school. Which means that P2 cannot pass in order to add another row of cards, he has to take the remaining column.

Is that correct or am I mistaken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Basti725 wrote:
But the rules say that if you are alone in school when deciding whether to take a column or pass, you HAVE to take a column. So when P1 takes a column, then P2 is alone at school. Which means that P2 cannot pass in order to add another row of cards, he has to take the remaining column.

Is that correct or am I mistaken?

You are mistaken

In that situation, P2 can pass to add a new row of cards
But then, being alone at school, he has to take the remaining column (which means that, if opponent takes a card on the first row, 2nd player will never take more than 2 cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basti725 wrote:
But the rules say that if you are alone in school when deciding whether to take a column or pass, you HAVE to take a column.
No the rules says :
"If you are the last player still at school in the beginning of this step, you must put your knowledge into practice."
The step being: "Starting with the first player and going clockwise,
choose whether [pass your turn or take cards].

So it's only after adding a new card that you check if there's only one player left or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ho-Chun Lin
msg tools
The step means "Broaden your knowledge or put it into practice", not your turn in this step.

There are several steps in the game.

1. place the card on the first row.
2. take the card into practice or pass.(the beginning of this step)
+Player #1
+Player #2
+Player #3
3. place the card on the new row.
4. take the card into practice or pass.(the beginning of this step)
+Player #1
+Player #2
+Player #3
5. place the card on the new row.
6. .........

Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.