Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Isaiah 53:5
badge
I'm not a real person. Just a cartoon character.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to chat about KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVES for Galactic Coliseum. These things can cause some projects to become unfocused, delay shipping, deter post-campaign buyers, and lose retailers. We thought we wouldn’t have any, but several backers have been asking. We care about what the community thinks about having them for this campaign.

To clarify, exclusives are components that, once the project is over, will not be sold to retailers, or on our website. Any remaining materials will only be available at special events and conventions.

Poll
Do you prefer to have Exclusive content for the Galactic Coliseum campaign?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes, I prefer exclusives.
67.9% 38
No, I don't prefer exclusives.
21.4% 12
I have no preference.
10.7% 6
Voters 56
This poll is now closed.   56 answers
Poll created by jefflai
Closes: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I realize that this is a very polarizing topic, but here are my thoughts on exclusives. To me, exclusives are a thank you from the project for supporting the project before it is available in the general market, taking the risks that the project will be a great one before tons of reviewers, friends, and others have the chance to play it and discuss the positives and negatives, take the risks and delays involved with production, help promote the game to others and spread the word, and often pay a significantly higher price than would be available retail. Without the exclusives, there is the chance the game will not be produced, but if it is a good game it will, and one can avoid ALL the risks and delays, insure that the game will be a proper fit for your gaming group, that it is a good game with coherent rules and quality components, and pay less for the exact same product. Also, to consider, is the fact that most backers have limited funds at any one time to invest. If it comes down to getting game X with exclusives that you won't be able to easily find at a reasonable cost point later, or game Y with no exclusives that you can pick up later at your FLGS or OLGS for less with no time restrictions towards budgeting for it, many will opt for game X. Just my personal opinion for what it is worth. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess Turner
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I strongly dislike exclusives, to the point I often will not back a project that does more than say a special color theme or different box art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenon Berg
msg tools
mb
I'm certainly saddened by exclusive content as it's usually not balanced and a gimmick preying on FOMO. I am, however, a fan of exclusives that offer alternates. As was said before, a small simmering that you can use to say "in b4 it was popular"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't heard too many people feel this way. Just curious why you don't like the idea of given extra to people who support a product from the very beginning instrasd of those who by only once a game is done and released at retail. Im impressed someone would have this high of a standard that they feel everyone should be equal no matter at what point they support the project.

I don't want to be on the opposite side of you this is my feeling, pay to win is bad, but pay to get something extra is just... well, COOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Marshall
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am happy with exclusives but for a game like this I think it best to keep it fairly minimal. Just a few nice exclusive things as a nice reward but not the sort of thing that would make retail purchasers feel left out - a more traditional mini game could support more exclusives but need to be careful on the balance here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Beatty
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong I love exclusive however I think sometimes too many can work against the game.

I think having extra figures special colors, would be a great way to have some exclusivity without excluding those who missed the kick starter. How about come exclusive glow-in-the-dark minis?

You could always throw in an extra expansion for free or something that will be available for retail later kind of like what The Others did. They raised enough money that you could get them all via Stretch Goals. Kind of a cool concept.

I would also like to see some retail exclusives and retailer tier.. Many times people like myself, buy our games here to get all the exclusives , and then don't buy from the FLGS; Which can turn off FLGSs from carrying the game.

So if you have some exclusives great, if you don't that's fine too.
I just want solid game play.

I just can't wait to get the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom mills
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted yes, but would prefer only a few KSE Items rather than a ton like some campaigns do, in case of minis even a alt sculpt of a retail mini could be used as a KSE mini, that way retail still has the mini and we the backers get the alt KSE sculpt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
I voted yes too. In my opinion, game without any KSE, people tend to wait for it to be launched in retail as in some cases, game seems to be cheaper at retail as well.

So without any KSE, it make no viable economic sense for backers to do their pledge now as they can just grab a copy off retail afterwards.

In this instance, it may affect the viability of this project as you need people to fund the project to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I would love to see KS exclusives but keep them cheap, like extra cards or unique character boards etc rather than new models requiring expensice molds n stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't like exclusives. People who doesn't see the game on KS or can't back now have to pay too much to have those exclusives later or they don't buy the game because they can't have everything.
As other people have said, I don't mind if the exclusives are a different box, or alternate art on some cards or even a more epic miniature for a character that everybody will get, components done with greater quality or even an art book that won't be for sale later. Most gamers don't care about an art book. So, I think that exclusives that don't change the game are okay.
Some games have too much exclusives and in a way, they're 'forcing' people to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dexter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I find that exclusives are wonderful in theory, but cause a few problems in practice:

1: For a completionist like myself, if I want to get a game, I generally want it all. I can't express how often I want to scream because I missed a kickstarter by a few days, or didn't get a chance to see it and therefore can't get all the neat bonus gimmicks.

2: Exclusives sometimes come in the form of an add-on or only go to those supporting at a higher tier. For someone tight on money as is, backing at a low level is the best I can do. I don't want to miss out on them just because it would hurt me financially.

3: As someone mentioned before, oftentimes they are unbalanced. It seems like the creator will put in an idea they really like, but couldn't properly balance, and decide "Hey, this would be great as an exclusive" so they don't have to trash it.

4: Rather than rewarding those who back it early, I have often seen it as a punishment for those who are frugal, didn't know about it, or only put on their shelf what they consider to be the greats.

Getting a discount, getting the game first, and getting to see a little of the game before it comes out via updates should be enough reward to early backers. If it ends up selling for less in retail, then the creator generally gets less popular for charging more during the campaign.

Rather than KSE, I can think of a few ways to add "exclusives" that are available after the game releases. Follow Plaid Hat Games example, for instance, where if you order from their site you get one of the 4 Promo Cards with your order. We get cards people can't get normally, but if collectors want them they need only go through the creators site.
Could also do a free Booster pack with 1 ability for each person, then make so that it can be bought online for $5-10 dollars after the campaign. Nothing really 100% exclusive though...unless it has no value to the gameplay (such as art prints or alternate art on cards)

TLDR: People don't back things for many reasons(money, awareness, exclusives punish that, especially if not properly balanced. There are other ways to give backers more without withholding it from fans that come later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Beatty
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas Kevin.

Like I said about the Others. Backers there got all of the Sins for free, which will be available @ their FLGS if they missed the KS. That game had very few exclusives. Still a couple for those who wanted them. It still got a lot of money invested too.

I really like the ability cards available on the KS for free, but as a booster later is a great idea. Any content we can get for "free" here but is available for retail later is a win in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann-Charlotte Eriksen
Sweden
Sturkö
Blekinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted yes, and I agree with many of the previous comments on both pro and con. What I mean by that is that I think there should be some exclusives for the backers helping a game come to life, even if I am always sad if I find and buy a game and have missed the KS and can't get those.
For me personally, I look for the following things when backing:
great art, good game play, a hands on project manager who answers all q with in a day or 2 along with frequent updates, some exclusives, EU friendly shipping, good quality independent review videos, SG and AddOns, possibility of expansions.
The deal breakers for me (even if it has good game play):
EU friendly shipping, review videos and the art.

If you don't want to do exclusives another great thing I for one very much values and love seeing is developers who add a KS backer TY list in the game. Some do this in the rule book, some on the inside of the box and some on their webpage (last one is not so exciting but better than nothing). This might be the way for you to give a small TY that will not have the negative effects listed by previous commenter's.
That way there is an appreciation for the backed and no one misses out on anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Hansen
Norway
flag msg tools
I prefer exclusives, not that I can always get them though(cost and time).

There are many kickstarter games that don't come to local game distributors, so I would have to get them by alternative means, or never get them as I forget.
Exclusives are not only in getting stuff on kickstarter it is also "early bird" offers, where you get the same for less (not that it is the topic...).
Missing out on an exclusive happens all the time, but that is what they are exclusive, it is not called common or rare.
Limited edition is limited edition as Kickstarter Exclusive is Kickstarter Exclusive, if one does not get it the first time, try ebay or something similar.

Not against any types of exclusives actually. It does not matter to me if a kickstarter card or figure or whatever is a bit overpowered, it is still proof of "backer-ship" of the game.
Also your game your rules, you don't have to use whatever exclusive you get.

Though here are some Exclusive that I am for:
- Something like a special proof of Kickstarter backer on the game, it grants a in game power, but have to be destroyed for effect. ~Use at own risk, once, but mainly to show off.
- Alternative art, foil or green lettering on cards(reference sheets), or perhaps watermark on the scorepad. ~Cool way to show that you backed it without changing the game in any way.
- Alternative poses on figures. ~More expensive to make(I think), but equally cool.
- Promotional stuff like posters, post cards, stickers, buttons, mouse mat and such. ~Not game changing and cool way to show of that your a backer.
- Early accesses Add-ons(or Free). ~Rewarding backers, only time penalizing others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback. Although the poll is still open, I get the feeling from the current results and your comments that the majority feels that Exclusives are good, as long as they are done well. Nothing that hurts the game or the gameplay for the post-Kickstarter version. Nothing that feeds on FOMO for current backers. There were many excellent comments and it confirmed and shed light on several things.

I will be announcing new exclusives. I will also be changing some of the current elements into Kickstarter exclusives. The goal is to not mess up the current campaign, but to improve the incentives for backers who believe in this game, months and months before it is in retail. The goal is to thank the supporters with rewards that only they can have access to.

However, these rewards will mostly be variations of the current game. The mechanics will not change. The game will not change. For example, I will convert the Prisoner Pack to an KS Exclusive. This pack includes some extra abilities, setup cards, and randomizers; all of which do not change the gameplay in any way. These components are nice additions for our backers, but minimal enough to not hurt the future retail game.

Anyway, what do you think? Thanks again for your feedback. I read all your comments and I'm grateful for your advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested to wait for the final poll results and see if any more votes come in before I announce new exclusives. I think I'll wait for the poll to end on October 19th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valéry Dehongher
France
savigny le temple
Seine et Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem when there is no exclusive kickstarter elements is that some will wait an exit store to buy the game. Why pay now if there is nothing more in the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.