Subject: My efforts at making scenery - Pillars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello all.

I've just finished making pillars for the game and thought I'd share my process.

Firstly, I'm not a master game component maker, nor am I a master painter. These are a little rough, but they do look better on the board than the cardboard tokens.

Secondly, I place these over the pillar token so if I need to remove my pillars for whatever reason (I'm looking at you, Spidicules), the original cardboard token is still there. I have heard that some people think it's a hassle to have to remove and replace things like this during a game. I disagree. I literally takes 1 second to remove or replace a piece of scenery when you still have the cardboard token on the board as a reference.

I started by buying some cake pillars from Michael's. I bought a pack of 3" and 5". This cost me $11.00. Here is a link to the 5" ones. These two packs gives you enough pillars to make the 6 2x1 tiles and the 2 4x1 fallen pillar tiles.

https://goo.gl/Qbp4ZW

I know the carboard token for the 2x1 pillar tile gives the impression of a fallen pillar, but I decided to make 2 side by side pillars, saving the fallen pillar look for the 4x1 pillar tile.

I started by cutting the pillars in half at angles. The tops of the pillars are actually different from the bottoms, so after cutting them I paired them so that each pair had a matching base.

I then took my knife to the pillars, giving them a damaged look.

At first I tried using green stuff to fill the ends. This wasn't a very good solution as it used up too much green stuff, plus it resulted in the broken ends bulging up more than I wanted. Instead, I cut pieces of cardboard to fit the ends. I then superglued them in place. You don't need to cut them so that they're perfect fits. Any gaps will be filled in the next step.

I used liquid green stuff to fill any gaps. It also took away the perfectly flat end that the cardboard left. The amount of liquid green stuff used was so incredibly small compared to how much green stuff would have been used had I not used cardboard as the main method of filling the holes. Just remember, liquid green stuff does shrink, so always add a little more when filling gaps.

I glued some sand to the broken ends using PVA glue. In my mind, broken rock is rough granular.

I used Chaos Black as a base coat.

I did a heavy drybrush with Eshin Grey, almost completely covering the black. I then drybrushed Dawnstone over the top. I then did a hightlight drybrush of Administratum Grey. This is when the granulated ends and the knife-created damage really comes alive. I wanted these pillars to be slightly darker, to match the KD:M world. You could easily make them lighter by using lighter greys.

I cut out some pieces of foamcore. I painted the edges of it with Zamesi Desert. I glued the pillars to the foamcore and the glued a little sand to complete them.

There you have it. Relatively simple, a little rough, but they look so much better in game than the original cardboard tiles.

Thoughts? Anyone else likely to make scenery, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demian
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

these look great!

I tried to get some things together for terrain at http://vibrantlantern.com/extra/terrain/ but haven't made much progress since.

Also, Michaels is out of stock on the pillars, here they are on Amazon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
timekilling wrote:

these look great!

I tried to get some things together for terrain at http://vibrantlantern.com/extra/terrain/ but haven't made much progress since.

Also, Michaels is out of stock on the pillars, here they are on Amazon

I hadn't seen that before. Those pillars look nice. A bit of drybrushing and they'll look really good.

I've found that the lonely tree fits the tree token nicely, by the way. (Despite the typos on the cards, I think everyone is a little hard on the lonely tree.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demian
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

in retrospect, the Games Workshop Arcane Ruins would be fine side by side upright instead of sideways. I do like the cake support ones, especially after you nicked them up a bit.

side note, I agree with

iso250 wrote:
I think everyone is a little hard on the lonely tree.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
timekilling wrote:

in retrospect, the Games Workshop Arcane Ruins would be fine side by side upright instead of sideways. I do like the cake support ones, especially after you nicked them up a bit.

side note, I agree with

iso250 wrote:
I think everyone is a little hard on the lonely tree.)

It's not a bad expansion. It's just the worst one. If the new kickstarter introduces a worse expansion, it'll rise like the phoenix!

The pillars look fantastic though, how come you went with them standing as opposed to laying down? (edit: i know you mentioned you'll be making the larger one on it's side) But arent these a little clunky to get around with spiking up like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Dark63 wrote:

It's not a bad expansion. It's just the worst one. If the new kickstarter introduces a worse expansion, it'll rise like the phoenix!

The pillars look fantastic though, how come you went with them standing as opposed to laying down? (edit: i know you mentioned you'll be making the larger one on it's side) But arent these a little clunky to get around with spiking up like that?

That's a really good point about the lonely tree. It would be like an olympic silver medalist hanging around a group of gold medalists!!

At first I wasn't sure whether to go upright or flat for the smaller tiles. Deciding took longer than it did to make them!

The deciding factor for me was the ends of the pillars. If I laid them down on their sides then the bottoms of the pillar ends became way more noticeable than I liked. From one side they looked rather plain. By standing them up I eliminated the bland undersides, meaning they looked good from all angles.

Moving the minis around them isn't that bad. The phoenix, dragon king, and spidicules require them to be removed now and then, but it's worth it when you consider how much better the board looks with them being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.