Hide
10 Posts

Deep Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Mechanics Comparison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Big
msg tools
Hey everyone, just hopped on the boat for this one. I wanted to share my comparisons to determine if Im correctly understanding the gameplay for Deep Madness.

So far it seems like a combination of Forbidden Desert, Mansions of Madness and Zombiecide. Is that an accurate description?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more Zombicide than anything else. There's a rulebook and gameplay overview video in the KS though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombiecide? Oh dear. Think I'd best look deeper into the rules before I get too into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Zombiecide? Oh dear. Think I'd best look deeper into the rules before I get too into this.

What is zombiecide and why is it bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarryCanyon wrote:
Phantomwhale wrote:

What is zombiecide and why is it bad?

It's a series of very successful games by CoolMiniOrNot. Zombicide isn't "bad", it's quite fun. But it's not for everyone. It's generally considered a "beer and pretzels" game, where you can play rather casually with your friends. It is not a complex game.

I'm still looking at the details for Deep Madness, but it seems to be influenced by games like Zombicide, Elder Sign, and Mansions of Madness. And while searching and weapon stats are very similar to Zombicide, there appear to be a lot more systems layered on that make this a more complex experience (assuming the simplicity of Zombicide is seen as a negative).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A
United States
Wickliffe
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was trying to describe the gameplay to a friend of mine the other day, and this is sort of what I landed on.

Elements of...
* Arkham Horror
Doom counter/countdown
* Mansions of Madness
Investigator actions & economy (3 moves/turn, search, fight, escape)

Monster Movement is what really attracted me to the game:
In ZCide and Mansions of Madness, everything moves at the end of the round. In Deep Madness, each monster type is activated after each individual player's turn. It creates a more active environment, and puts some extra pressure on players -- instead of being able to get everyone into position before monsters move, you have to deal with them as they move one by one.
If you have six monsters/six players, Monster Type 1 will activate after Player 1 ; Monster Type 2 will only activate after Player 2 ; so on and so forth. For DnD players, I suppose you could think of this as alternating initiative.

For those who haven't played ZCide: Zombicide monsters move at the end of each round, and only have 1-2 actions each turn. They either move towards the closest player, or they chow down on the player in their space.
If I understand the descriptions on Deep Madness, monsters may target players based on their health or sanity -- not just proximity. (If I get this wrong, somebody please correct me!)

Tile...stuff for total lack of a better term:
Tiles appear to have three separate variables: normal, submerged, and devoured.
Normal tiles are normal. You can move through them and shoot through them.
Submerged tiles require you to use up oxygen when you take actions, and you can't see/shoot through them.
Devoured tiles are the special ones. You flip the tile (like Forbidden Island). Monsters can spawn from these tiles, and the tiles have special effects -- monster buffs and player debuffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not familiar with some of the other games mentioned, but I am very familiar with Zombicide. Deep Madness seems to be very similar in the mechanics. The limit of 1 search per turn, the way the weapon cards are laid out and how you do the combat rolls, the limited amount of actions per turn. I'm not saying it's the same, but there are a LOT of similarities.

The way the miniatures and theme are put together, it seems to me that they took the mechanics of Zombicide, combined with the asthetics of The Others, and put it under water. For me, that's not a bat thing, I love both of those games.

The variety of enemies, and the way the scenarios play out, will add another level of complexity/interest over Zombicide, I can imagine this game being played more times before it starts to feel "samey".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A
United States
Wickliffe
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good point...the movement is wayyy more similar to ZCide than I thought. Guess I was kind of fixated on Mansions of Madness. //facepalm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is combat exactly the same as Zombicide? I don't have that game, but I have a few weapon cards. They look, outside of noise, to be exactly the same to the point of being compatible. Am I wrong?

I'd sleeve them to get the Boomstick into DM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I'm comparing to Zcide: Black Plague. I imagine the mechanics are similar to the original Zcide, but since I haven't played it, I don't know.

The combat cards appear to work similarly. Based on your combat cards, you roll a certain number of dice, and "hit" on/over a certain target number (also specified by the card).

A significant difference is how damage is resolved. DM tracks wounds (each hit past an armor threshold is a wound, and monsters have varying number of wounds), whereas in ZBP you needed only a single hit to kill anything, but some monsters could only be killed by some weapons. Weapons had a damage rating of 1-3 reflecting which classes of monster it could kill, and weaker weapons could do nothing against stronger targets, while stronger targets had no added effect against weaker targets.

So I'd say there are some similarities, but those similarities are common to many games (ie, rolling dice and counting hits).

That said, my expertise comes from watching a single video, so take it for what it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.