Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a good 4-5 player area control game, and came up with these two.
I have played them both once, and liked them but once isn't nearly enough to judge a game.
So which one should I get ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot speak to those games but Chaos in the Old World with the HR expansion is amazing at 4-5 players. Its availability is waning though.

Kemet and Rex are pretty different from each other, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet will play better at 4-5 as where Rex is really meant for 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Rex is probably best at 6 but plays just fine at 5. 3 was a little lacking. Never played it at 4. Only problem some people (groups) may have with it is the possibility of joint victory. Some people really hate winning alongside those who started as opponents, and prefer a single victor.

Never played kemet, but I didnt realise it went to 5, thought it was a 4 p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Both good games but rex is extremely resource poor and my people hate it. Kemet will easily get more play with its power customization, cool minis, and need for conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Castle
Delaware
flag msg tools
My people hated Rex. If you have patient gamers that are willing to give a game multiple chances then get it. Otherwise get Kemet.
Rex is very eccentric.
Huge stay away from Rex warning if your group is very picky about:
Game balance
How hard it is to learn a game.
How long a game is.

It's a shame because I love Rex. I'll keep the box with me until I find like-minded players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Rex really needs 6.

I'd recommend Cyclades. In my opinion it's better than Kemet, but it is less of just a pure combat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Yeah Rex really needs 6.

I'd recommend Cyclades. In my opinion it's better than Kemet, but it is less of just a pure combat game.

You know, you are right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, appreciate the input.
I agree Rex could be a better experience but it needs 5 or 6 and the right players.
Kemet is an easier sell.
Cyclades is a good game as well and I tend to agree, less combatty.
I might have to give up on Rex, and switch from Kemet to Cyclades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games and, if your group can get into both games, you cannot go wrong with either. Kemet is all about combat and not much else. I do not mean this in a negative way, Kemet is one of my favorite games. Rex on the other hand has much more manipulation, social interaction, and betrayal. Not sure how to say it but the interaction Rex offers is more complex. It is definitely harder to learn and needs more plays to learn all the intricacies.

If you want a quick and easy to play game go with Kemet. Even with 4 new players plus you, the games rarely last 2.5 hrs. It is generally a faster game. Also, everyone has a shot at winning. I've never seen a runaway victor and only once have I seen someone that definitely had no chance of winning.

If you want a richer experience (socially) and know your group well then Rex might be slightly better. It is truly awesome to try to annihilate someone and then the next round be allies and fully cooperate together. Also, you can probably buy Rex for about $30 from the Geek Market (that is how I got mine ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but dang it I want the richer social experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures in Cyclades are more useful with the first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hish wrote:
My people hated Rex. If you have patient gamers that are willing to give a game multiple chances then get it. Otherwise get Kemet.
+1.

I can only suppose that Dune was a much better game because Rex (being a re-implmentation of Dune) fell pretty flat for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.