Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: What's the difference between an order confirmation and an invoice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically an invoice is a request for payment (at least, everywhere I've ever worked), but I've clearly already paid for the item, as the money is long gone from my paypal account. Am I missing something?

Edit; to be clearer, I received the paypal receipt and the order confirmation on Thursday during gateway-timeout-gate, but got an invoice this morning (Saturday AM EST). Just curious as to when I can expect the game to show up mainly, and to make sure they got my money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same thing too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McCabe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got the same thing, too.

I wonder if it is something about using paypal over other payment methods, as I used paypal as well. I hope that doesn't delay our shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hotcoffeeburns wrote:
I got the same thing, too.

I wonder if it is something about using paypal over other payment methods, as I used paypal as well. I hope that doesn't delay our shipping.

Nope, I used Credit card, and I'm Canadian, so it must be just standard procedure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that they use "order confirmation" when the order has been received on their web service and then send an "invoice" (which is seems to really be more like a "receipt" when payment is processed. Doesn't seem like "invoice" is really the right accounting term, but then I'm not an accountant either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I took it that the order confirmation just confirmed they received my order.

The invoice then confirms the purchase and price, as well as providing the necessary VAT ID and so on for people who need it.

It's a bit odd they call it an invoice, it seems more like a VAT receipt to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An invoice is in order. Confirmation is just confirming that they got your order. Gives the buyer a chance to correct anything. When the invoice is issued depends on the terms. A receipt just shows payment. What surprised me was the invoice before shipment. This whole transaction is more like a preorder. Especially for those who are in the December group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
costguy wrote:
A receipt just shows payment.

Might depend where you are as to how this term is used. In the UK receipts often include important info like VAT registration codes and stuff. That info is in the invoice I got from Riot, so I assume it's serving the same purpose.

HMRC refers to invoices only on their record keeping page, but it's common to just call them receipts over here. The terms seem interchangeable.

If we really meant that payment is still due, we would generally call it a bill. As in 'We will send you a bill' or 'We will bill you'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.