$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Saints in Armor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a Cavalry under Receive Charge orders Withdraw more than one hex? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Totus tuus ego sum, et omnia mea tua sunt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Heavy Infantry unit moves adjacent to a Calvary unit that is under Receive Charge Orders. The Cavalry unit is permitted to withdraw since it's movement allowance is greater than that of the HI unit and is not under Charge Orders. Is the movement still restricted to one hex since it is under Receive Charge?

My guess is that it is restricted to one hex since "all normal rules of movement, facing and formation hits apply." Am I applying this rule correctly?

Here is the applicable withdraw rule:

9.2.4 WITHDRAW: If an enemy unit whose movement allowance (including the effects of Formation Hits) is the same as or less than the Reacting unit’s movement allowance moves within two hexes of the Reacting unit, the eligible reacting unit may move up to its full movement allowance (including the effects of Formation Hits) away (i.e., end its move further away from the triggering unit than when it started). A unit may perform a Withdraw Reaction Move only once per enemy activation. To be eligible, a unit must be:

• Under Rally Orders, or
• A leader alone in a hex, or
• A Cavalry unit not under Charge Orders approached by Heavy Infantry.

A unit performing a Withdraw Reaction Move may not move adjacent to any enemy unit. Units retreating in this fashion do not simply back up—all normal rules of movement, facing and formation hits apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AeroVirtus wrote:
A Heavy Infantry unit moves adjacent to a Calvary unit that is under Receive Charge Orders. The Cavalry unit is permitted to withdraw since it's movement allowance is greater than that of the HI unit and is not under Charge Orders. Is the movement still restricted to one hex since it is under Receive Charge?

My guess is that it is restricted to one hex since "all normal rules of movement, facing and formation hits apply." Am I applying this rule correctly?

Here is the applicable withdraw rule:

9.2.4 WITHDRAW: If an enemy unit whose movement allowance (including the effects of Formation Hits) is the same as or less than the Reacting unit’s movement allowance moves within two hexes of the Reacting unit, the eligible reacting unit may move up to its full movement allowance (including the effects of Formation Hits) away (i.e., end its move further away from the triggering unit than when it started). A unit may perform a Withdraw Reaction Move only once per enemy activation. To be eligible, a unit must be:

• Under Rally Orders, or
• A leader alone in a hex, or
• A Cavalry unit not under Charge Orders approached by Heavy Infantry.

A unit performing a Withdraw Reaction Move may not move adjacent to any enemy unit. Units retreating in this fashion do not simply back up—all normal rules of movement, facing and formation hits apply.

Yes, a cavalry unit may withdraw more than one hex in this situation. I believe that Receive Charge Order restriction simulates the restriction of moving around the battlefield tactically. With Withdraw, the unit is "afraid" of the approaching unit and moves away from the unit, which is a different reason for moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Totus tuus ego sum, et omnia mea tua sunt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raynovich wrote:

Yes, a cavalry unit may withdraw more than one hex in this situation. I believe that Receive Charge Order restriction simulates the restriction of moving around the battlefield tactically. With Withdraw, the unit is "afraid" of the approaching unit and moves away from the unit, which is a different reason for moving.

Thanks! I think you are correct. After some more reading, I found that rule 5.5.1 states that "Orders restrictions apply only to units, not to Leaders, and apply only during the Wing’s activation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.