$30.00
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although Anachronism hasn't been produced for something like 10 years now, you can still find packs – or even complete sets – online on sites like eBay or Amazon so I thought I'd have a look at the game to try and determine if it was worth getting nowadays.

Synopsis
Anachronism is a well-titled historical game because it is wildly historically inaccurate! Each player takes the role of a famous historical warrior and pits them against their opponent's warrior who could come from any period in history – some of the warriors are even mythological! So you could have Canute v Genghiz Kahn! Or Herakles v Richard The Lionheart! Or even Robin Hood v Beowulf!

What would then follow would be a fight to the death between the two chosen warriors; last combatant standing, wins.

Gameplay
Along with their chosen warrior, each player would also choose four support cards in advance and lay them out in a row, face down, in the order of their choice. Then, at the start of the turn, each player would reveal their next card. This would then determine their who goes first on that turn and also give some new special ability to the warrior.

Who ever was going first would then move their warrior around the battlefield and try and use their cards to do as much damage to the opponent as possible. Then the opponent would have a go.

Round over; reveal the next card each.

And that was it. It was a simple, fast game lasting no more than a few minutes each time. You could then, in theory, go again with a different hero or support cards or even just rearrange your current support cards to find a more efficient order for them.

But would you really want to?

Well chances are, probably. Once or twice anyway, but not often. Because while the game could prove diverting for a few goes, it quickly ran in to the problem of being very repetitive. Pick a hero and four support cards, hit your opponent, repeat. Even getting new warriors or support cards didn't really extend the life-span much.

This was not a game you would spend a lot of time on but, unfortunately, it was a game that required you to spend a lot of money. And that combination – high expense, low reward – was, in my opinion, one of the main reasons it failed. It just wasn't worth the money to get another warrior when you only played for 20 minutes once a week, at most. This wasn't a game you could devote entire evenings to but it did require you to devote a lot of cash to.

So is it worth it nowadays? Well that depends entirely on how much you think you'd be paying and how often you think you'd be playing it.

Personally, I have just spotted some packs on eBay for £4 including p&p and I am not sure it's worth it. It's a very simple game which is over in mere minutes and you'll need at least 2 packs – one for you and one for your opponent. So straight away that's doubled the cost. Then you'll quickly find that just two warriors gets boring very quickly so you'll either need to spend again to get more packs or you'll put it on the shelf and forget about it. My own collection has been gathering dust for at least 7 or 8 years.

But, if you are looking for a simple and fast game and have the money to spare then it's not a bad option. It's not a great option but it's not bad.

Presentation
From what I remember, the rules presented no real problems – they were well written and very simple. The cards themselves looked very good, too. If you are the sort of person who thinks the look of a game adds to the appeal to play it, add a point to my final score.

Summary
A simple, fast game for two people which requires a large collection to avoid quickly going stale. Expensive, therefore, and with limited long term appeal.

5 out of 10. A more complex game would have given the game a longer life.

Note: I have learned from bitter experience with this site that I need to stress that all reviews – including this one – are entirely matters of opinion. I am not claiming that anything I have said in this review is fact, it is all entirely my opinion and I am sure that many others have different opinions. If you wish to reply with yours, I welcome it. I enjoy discussion but will not respond kindly to aggressive replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was never expensive. It only takes 5 cards for a player toi play an entire game. Look at how expensive Magic is to have the 60-card deck to play. The reason the game ceased to exist was because it was a small company that sank too much money into promoting it and could not recoup the funds necessary to remain in business. The company had just 1 game. The replay ability was off the charts. Most tournament rounds were best-of-5. Since each type of card could be used with any hero, the possibilities were outstanding. It is a great game to get into now because most of the cards can be gotten for free in PDF form and printed for only the cost of the card stock and ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
It was never expensive. It only takes 5 cards for a player toi play an entire game. Look at how expensive Magic is to have the 60-card deck to play. The reason the game ceased to exist was because it was a small company that sank too much money into promoting it and could not recoup the funds necessary to remain in business. The company had just 1 game. The replay ability was off the charts. Most tournament rounds were best-of-5. Since each type of card could be used with any hero, the possibilities were outstanding. It is a great game to get into now because most of the cards can be gotten for free in PDF form and printed for only the cost of the card stock and ink.

Just because other games are even more expensive, doesn't mean this one isn't too.
You can't defend the cost of a $75,000 car by pointing out that some cars cost $100,000!

And sure, you can technically print out copies but you can technically ignore the copyright of any other game, too!
Technically.
But I was under the assumption that you wouldn't be breaking the law to get hold of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stenun wrote:
rickert wrote:

Just because other games are even more expensive, doesn't mean this one isn't too.
You can't defend the cost of a $75,000 car by pointing out that some cars cost $100,000!

And sure, you can technically print out copies but you can technically ignore the copyright of any other game, too!
Technically.
But I was under the assumption that you wouldn't be breaking the law to get hold of this game.

There is so much wrong with your post I hardly know where to start. But then I thought you would use common sense and talk about games.laugh

Magic has been the most popular CCG on earth for what, 30 years running. I rarely read a review that complains the game is too expensive. But welcome to modern boardgaming. Almost all of them that provide as much game and replay value as Anachronism is more expensive to purchase for play.

As for the wise comment about breaking the law. I assume you don't ever drive even a mile per hour over the speed limit. Oh wait, that isn't a game comparison is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Magic has been the most popular CCG on earth for what, 30 years running. I rarely read a review that complains the game is too expensive. But welcome to modern boardgaming. Almost all of them that provide as much game and replay value as Anachronism is more expensive to purchase for play.

I haven't reviewed Magic but if I had I can assure you I would complain about the cost.
For what it offers, Anachronism is expensive.

rickert wrote:
As for the wise comment about breaking the law. I assume you don't ever drive even a mile per hour over the speed limit. Oh wait, that isn't a game comparison is it?

Firstly you assume correctly because I don't drive at all.
Secondly, even if I did drive "even a mile per hour over the speed limit", it would still be illegal and not something you should encourage people to do online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I felt something more than your view being impractical. But I don't. I have made my points in defense of the game and the large number of people who still play it. We never thought buying 5 cards to play a game was asking too much from a game company. The joy of playing such a creative, diverse and satisfying game was well worth what I spent and I have every card ever made. Plus the cards were the best ever created for a tabletop game. Please be safe walking around. I am out of here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I wish I felt something more than your view being impractical. But I don't. I have made my points in defense of the game and the large number of people who still play it. We never thought buying 5 cards to play a game was asking too much from a game company. The joy of playing such a creative, diverse and satisfying game was well worth what I spent and I have every card ever made. Plus the cards were the best ever created for a tabletop game. Please be safe walking around. I am out of here.

The fact that you felt you needed to make "points in defense of ... the large number of people who still play [the game]" says to me that you took my review rather too personally.
By all means defend the game if you think I have been unduly harsh but there was never any criticism of the people who still play the game that needed defending in the first place.

Secondly, you state that you have every card ever made but how much did that cost you?
In order to play the game, you need at least 2 sets - not just the 5 cards you mention in your reply but 10. So straight away either your cost is double or you need to find someone else who has bought a set. And then the game lasts 5 minutes. So how many times could you play it before it either gets boring or you buy another pack? And then another pack. And another. A longer-lasting game or a cheaper game or a game with better replayability would have gone a long way to offset my criticisms of the expense of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stenun wrote:
rickert wrote:

The fact that you felt you needed to make "points in defense of ... the large number of people who still play [the game]" says to me that you took my review rather too personally.
By all means defend the game if you think I have been unduly harsh but there was never any criticism of the people who still play the game that needed defending in the first place.

Secondly, you state that you have every card ever made but how much did that cost you?
In order to play the game, you need at least 2 sets - not just the 5 cards you mention in your reply but 10. So straight away either your cost is double or you need to find someone else who has bought a set. And then the game lasts 5 minutes. So how many times could you play it before it either gets boring or you buy another pack? And then another pack. And another. A longer-lasting game or a cheaper game or a game with better replayability would have gone a long way to offset my criticisms of the expense of this game.

Sorry that you need a history lesson but apparently you do. TriKing gave away packs of 10 cards for people to try. GAVE AWAY! As for replay ability. Did you ever play the game? You could switch warriors with your opponent. You could change the positions of the four support cards. You could take those two warrior packs and just swap weapons or inspirations or specials or armor. That would make the games play differently. Did you believe that just playing warriors with the cards that came with them is the way the game was mostly played? It was hardly ever played that way. If there is ever a reason to review a game that has been around as long as this one, then a bit more knowledge about the way the game was marketed and was played would be a good inclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
As for replay ability. Did you ever play the game? You could switch warriors with your opponent. You could change the positions of the four support cards. You could take those two warrior packs and just swap weapons or inspirations or specials or armor. That would make the games play differently. Did you believe that just playing warriors with the cards that came with them is the way the game was mostly played? It was hardly ever played that way.

Did you actually read my review?
How about the bit where I said: "You could then, in theory, go again with a different hero or support cards or even just rearrange your current support cards to find a more efficient order for them."

I know full well how the game was played, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you know how to play then your writing didn't indicate that when you wrote that you would so quickly need to buy another pack and another and another. You are not going to back off your position and I am not ever going to back off from what I know and I feel I know the game better than you on the basis of reading your review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Well if you know how to play then your writing didn't indicate that when you wrote that you would so quickly need to buy another pack and another and another. You are not going to back off your position and I am not ever going to back off from what I know and I feel I know the game better than you on the basis of reading your review.

I wouldn't ask you to "back off your position". You are just as much entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

I believe my writing did indicate that I knew how to play. Not only did I give a description of how to play but I also explained why I believe you would need to spend a lot of money on the game - because one or two packs would quickly get repetitive.
For a game that lasts 5 minutes, one or two packs does not offer a lot of replayability. 20 to 30 minutes of gaming and you've more or less exhausted the possibilities. So either get more packs or stop playing; those are your two options.

And as for knowing the game better - maybe. Who knows?
But just because someone has seen Star Wars 3,720 times it does not make their opinion of the movie more valid than that of someone who has only seen it twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the first person will surely know the movie better. Thanks for supporting my position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
But the first person will surely know the movie better. Thanks for supporting my position.

But I repeat; it doesn't make their opinion more valid.
All it means is they've seen it more.

Same with any game. Just because you're a Chess Grandmaster, it doesn't mean your opinion of the game is somehow "better" than a casual club player. It just means you're better at playing it. That's all.

Opinions are subjective, not fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carapippino carapippino
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
i totally disagree with the review

the points of force of the game are the speed, the apparent simpleness of the game AND at the same time the chance to have really a lot of different possibilities only with few cards more. All of these characteristics are totally absent from ccgs that require decks of, at least, 30-40 cards. Nowadays people have always less time to play and anachronism fills perfectly with this human needs

In the end, i don't understand this review all of a sudden, as if the game came out right now, if you want to troll you can go elsewhere. thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carapippino wrote:
i totally disagree with the review

Fine. Everyone has an opinion and that's all a review ever is - an expression of an opinion.

carapippino wrote:
In the end, i don't understand this review all of a sudden, as if the game came out right now, if you want to troll you can go elsewhere. thank you

Don't be silly. I wouldn't spend an hour writing a review if I just wanted to "troll". If you want to know why I posted this review now you merely needed to ask instead of leaping to erroneous and dismissive conclusions. Just because we have different opinions, does not mean I am trolling.

The simple truth is that I thought I might try and post a review for every game in my collection. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the review. I actually acquired a decent number of cards a while back and I love the concept, but it's been stuck in my backlog forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reviewer underestimates how fast the combinations go up as you add new packs: sure, with two packs you get stale pretty quickly, but because you can mix and match cards between packs the options go up as you get more. With 8 packs ($40 MSRP, which is a decent price point for a boardgame), I would say you have plenty of available combinations to try out.

That said, I rated it a 5.5 myself. Having plenty of combinations mostly helps if enough combinations yield an interesting game. The tournament format where you have a set of 5 warriors to choose from improved things a bit, but in the end I didn't feel there was all that much game there. Combine that with the overproduced cards, and it felt expensive for what you got.

On the third hand, I consider trying to track down the sets I'm missing every once in a while. Just for completeness...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carapippino carapippino
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
send your want list to me, i have some sets in english and could help you out

now, returning back to the game: once you have a full view of all the official sets available, it's quite easy to choose selected sets to build strong combos. even myself, i figured out 20+ potential decks from the beginning (now reduce to about 15), so the important is to have some time to spare in studying the cards, it is like an equation where you have to manage the single component to get the total right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.