Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation: I have a flagbearer

Does my opponent have to target my flagbearer with spells or abilities with positive effects (e.g. Dinosize)?

Do I have to target my flabearer with spells or abilities with negative effects (e.g. White Star Grappler)?

In other words: Does a flagbearer have to be targeted by all spells or abilities, regrdless which side plays it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:

Does my opponent have to target my flagbearer with spells or abilities with positive effects (e.g. Dinosize)?

Do I have to target my flabearer with spells or abilities with negative effects (e.g. White Star Grappler)?

In other words: Does a flagbearer have to be targeted by all spells or abilities, regrdless which side plays it?

The card says "an opponent", so only the spells from your opponent are concerned, and yes, all that may target the flagbearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:

The card says "an opponent", so only the spells from your opponent are concerned, and yes, all that may target the flagbearer.

To be a bit more precise, it's only the targeted effects from your opponent that are concerned, whether they're positive or negative, and whether they're from spells or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if he plays Dinosize he has to target my flagbearer, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Follow the text literally:

Flagbearer says:

"Whenever an opponent plays a spell or ability that can ◎ a flagbearer, it must ◎ a flagbearer at least once."

Dinosize says:

"Give a unit or hero +6 ATK / +6 armor this turn."

Dinosize does not specify one of your own units, so if an opponent has a flagbearer, then Dinosize must target it. This would apply even if the text would be meaningless when applied to an opponents units; for example, Now!, a Purple spell, says "◎ Give a unit or hero haste this turn." If you cast this and your opponent had a flagbearer, it would be hasted, even though it will expire and be useless.

On the other hand, Ready or Not, a Past spell, has "◎ Ready one of your units." This would ignore an opponent's flagbearer, since it explicitly may only target your units, and the flagbearer only affects those things that could target it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.