Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
All;

I just finished playing through this one for the first time. Granted this was a solo effort, but I planned the US offensives (where possible with the cards) before looking at the Japanese hand.

Turn 1 and 2 saw the taking of the PI and Guam for the Japanese. Losses were minimal, but several step losses. Starting in turn 2, the US sent forces into Oahu and then pushed Westwards and took Kwajalein and Eniwetok. Due to the limited range of air units and ports, you do need to take Truk as bypassing it as in the real WWII campaign doesn't seem to be viable if you are pushing from the South.

I decided just to throw anything the US had into as many battles as possible to learn the game mechanics. I was slowly and systematically step reduced with little results. The Japanese never had to try to take Midway or Wake as it was quickly apparent that only the massive sea battle with the BBs could save the US as it was now turn three with very little to show for it.

I threw everything I had left into one last battle for Truk. The Japanese were able to counter my offensive with an Intercept die roll and send all of their fleet to Truk to intercept. Decent die rolling by the Japanese eliminated a lot of the already step reduced US naval units. It was apparent that the US would lose quite easily on the Capital Ship ratio and so they resigned.

Another play is coming with more thought put into it, but I do think this is a fairly easy game to learn mechanically but will be tougher than one would think to win. The limited air unit range and lack of carrier numbers not only hurts the Air ZOI, but also makes it harder to support the amphibious operations across the long distances.

I am enjoying this very much and looking forward to finally cracking my copy of EotS. I am sure my tactics are poor and my observations may be way off but it is a fun game with very good components for the price.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.