8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: First gaming table, inspired by Bum Kim's design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin B
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello Board Game Geekers! This is my first post ever, so please forgive me if it is clunky.

I decided when I bought my place that I would make a gaming table. We cannot get Geek Chic or any of those companies to ship to us here in Canada, so home made or totally custom are our only options.

After looking at the gorgeous design by Bum Kim, I was inspired to design and build my own table with a large enough play space to fit my largest games (Arkham Horror, I am looking at you).

My major changes:
I planed down the 2 by 4 pieces used for the legs after laminating them together to make each one a solid 3 by 3 piece. There is a notch in each leg that was measured to fit a cross bar to hold the shelf boards. The legs and shelves are removable so if I ever leave this house I can take my table without breaking my back. The legs are attached via screws into a topper piece of 1 by 4.

The frame for the top piece is made of 2 by 4, with a single piece of 1/2" plywood sitting flush with the stretcher, reinforced by 2 additional hidden cross beams so it won't bow in the middle. The skirt pieces are 1 by 6 attached to the 2 by 4 stretcher. The top pieces are 1 by 6 (I didn't need a large inset) and are glued down, clamped, and screwed with 1 inch screws through the bottom of the plywood so they don't show. Essentially the table is redesigned to fit my specific needs. I drew my plans out but don't have a scanner, so I will have to iron them out and take a photo later. All wood is carpenter grade SPF, save for the rail pieces which are craft grade.

I used neoprene from a Canadian outlet store. It is double sided nylon lined, and very forgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! Nice looking table. I like how it can be taken apart easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin B
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks very much on both counts!
We play tested it yesterday. It comfortably fits Most large footprint games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the bottom slats get in the way of feet? Or do people use them as stools?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! How easy would it be to replace the neoprene, for example, if it were heavily stained by a drink spillage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin B
Canada
flag msg tools
The legs are set in far enough to not even get in the way of feet most of the time. For my especially tall gamer friends, the slats are the right height for tucking feet under or using as a footrest. For reference, my tallest game group friends are around 6'2".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin B
Canada
flag msg tools
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Looks great! How easy would it be to replace the neoprene, for example, if it were heavily stained by a drink spillage?

Thanks! The neoprene is fully removable, so I can take it out and wash it or buy a replacement if it somehow got destroyed. It is cut very specifically to the size of the inset using very sharp fabric scissors so it isn't a wobbly cut. I fabric painted a black border on the edge as well to give it a more polished look, but I did want the neoprene to be fully removable for cleaning purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minimaid88 wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:

Thanks! The neoprene is fully removable, so I can take it out and wash it or buy a replacement if it somehow got destroyed.

Good to hear you've designed for maintenance - I know that if it wasn't easily removable something would inevitably stain it on the first night! As you've planned for replacement you'll probably never have to do it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.