Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the core comes with three scenarios. Is that basically 3 times playing new material or is there subsets to each scenario? More importantly does each mythos pack have only one scenario/game or are there several games a la pathfinder adventure decks. I know this is mostly speculation based on previous lcgs but hoping someone who has game from Arkham nights might chime in...thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
csaman wrote:
So the core comes with three scenarios. Is that basically 3 times playing new material or is there subsets to each scenario? More importantly does each mythos pack have only one scenario/game or are there several games a la pathfinder adventure decks. I know this is mostly speculation based on previous lcgs but hoping someone who has game from Arkham nights might chime in...thanks.

The core set has 3 scenarios linked in a campaign.

Each scenario has multiple "resolutions" or different outcomes. Plus various decisions and game play will alter things moving forward through the campaign.

There are also different location cards which are selected randomly during scenarios 2 and 3 that may change their effects when you replay the scenarios.

Honestly, the game is so interactive and...malleable, that even if you know what a scenario contains, it will be a very different experience playing it the next time.

For example, what if a scenario has 3 Agenda cards and 3 Act cards but the first time you play through you manage to advance through all 3 Acts to "win" the game with a good resolution and the next time the Agenda ends up advancing all 3 cards first? You will experience a very different game and resolution!

And the results of each resolution will carry forward, so your campaign will be very different from previous plays too!

And of course playing with a different investigator is also a very different experience. Perhaps one time you fight everything because you have a good fighter and the next time you evade everything because your investigator is more stealthy? And what if killing or not killing something has campaign effects? Perhaps you make a choice or have a play experience that forces a new card into your deck? It becomes a different game yet again time after time.

It really is an amazingly flexible system.

I think each Mythos pack is basically one scenario that fits into a larger cycle's campaign. But I expect each one to also have the same flexible structure to provide a very different experience with each play.

I think playing scenarios "standalone" is the least interesting since the outcomes really don't matter since it's not part of a longer campaign. And the effects of previous choices don't really follow after you, so there's no different experience to be gained from that as well.

Of course with "standalone" you do get to build and rebuild your deck for different experiences, and of course can try it at different difficulties too.

But I think the game really shines in campaign mode with a string of linked scenarios that create a different campaign experience each time.

Of course the longer the campaign, the truer this becomes, so I cannot wait for the Dunwich Legacy campaign and all its expansions to really experience the game's full potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the core campaign, you are confronted by cultists. In final scenario, who those are cultists of is randomly chosen. There are four groups of cards and you randomly mix one of those sets into the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.