Chuck Goodwin
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Good afternoon,

We started playing the game recently and I had a question, we uncovered a room the spiral staircase that sates for 2 movement you can to go any "landing" in the house. Does this mean that you can also go from any landing to this room tile? or is just a 1 way from this room to a landing only?

Thanks
Chuck
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It clearly tells you how you can use it. If it doesnt say it is connected to every landing for the purposes of moving to it, you shouldnt assume it is. And if you are at a landing, moving to another is achievable in threr moves anyway (your way would cost three. one to move to spiral staircase, plus two to move to any landing)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Goodwin
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Good afternoon,

I am not sure the question was clear.

There is a new room tile that can go into the roof, upper or ground floor called Spiral Staircase.

The room tile states "you may spend 2 spaces of movement to move to any landing"

so you go way off somewhere on the upper floor, find this stair case and for 2 movement you can be in say the basement landing.

now, since there is a a stair case on the roof that lets you go to the basement (or any landing), could you also go from any landing back to the spiral staircase tile? if so, could it cost you 2 moves as the tile says, or would it be free like normal landing move, or is this a 1 way tile that goes form the stairs to the landing only?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Luvaas
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I read it as a one way trip to any landing for 2 movement.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Greenman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I agree with Ryan. It's one way. You can go from there to any landing for two movement points, but not from any landing to the spiral staircase. That doesn't make much sense realistically, but that's just what happens in a haunted house.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Infectednite wrote:
I read it as a one way trip to any landing for 2 movement.


This is how we played it last evening. Though the same question arose and it is not clarified anywhere. It doesn't make thematic sense for it to be one-way unless it is some kind of magical stairway that disappears after you use it. But from a gameplay stance, it simplified the house to our liking.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sullivan
United States
flag msg tools
I have a different question involving the spiral staircase.

What is the rule on ending a turn on the spiral staircase, for example if you land on the staircase with only 2 moves left could you end your turn on it and move off of it next turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sully810 wrote:
I have a different question involving the spiral staircase.

What is the rule on ending a turn on the spiral staircase, for example if you land on the staircase with only 2 moves left could you end your turn on it and move off of it next turn?


Of course. You can do that with any room.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Sully810 wrote:
I have a different question involving the spiral staircase.

What is the rule on ending a turn on the spiral staircase, for example if you land on the staircase with only 2 moves left could you end your turn on it and move off of it next turn?


Of course. You can do that with any room.


I disagree. He's asking if he can spend the 2 moves on one turn and then get the benefit on the next turn.

You can stop on the spiral staircase if you want, but you only get the benefit when you pay for it. The moment you activate its ability, you pay the 2 movement. You can't bank it from a previous turn and get a free movement at the start of your next one.

Just like leftover movement from one turn doesn't carry over to the next in any other room.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sullivan
United States
flag msg tools
I guess the best way to explain it is, say you are on a space next to the spiral staircase and only have 2 movement.. could you use the stairs to go to the basement landing? Or technically would you use the points and end on the stairs moving to the basement landing the following turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sully810 wrote:
I guess the best way to explain it is, say you are on a space next to the spiral staircase and only have 2 movement.. could you use the stairs to go to the basement landing? Or technically would you use the points and end on the stairs moving to the basement landing the following turn?


Moving to the spiral staircase would cost you 1 movement. If you choose to end your turn there, the remaining movement is lost. On your next turn, you can use your speed to activate the spiral stairs' ability.

Consider this. You have 5 speed but use 3 to end in the library to gain a knowledge. On your next turn, do you add your unspent movement to your speed? If course not. No other room in the house lets you apply unused movement toward your next turn. Why should this one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.