$15.00
$30.00
$5.00
Chuck Goodwin
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Good afternoon,

Last night we played this for the first time and we got Haunt 71, this Haunt seamed very tilted to the traitors advantage to the point that it really was not much fun for anyone. I do have a question though. When the haunt started each player was told to draw until they had an item and the traitor was told he needed to steal an item from each player. If we the players got an item that is discarded on use (such as the dynamite), when we throw it, we now have 0 items for him to take, does this mean he can never win?

Thanks
Chuck G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played this haunt tonight and we had the same reaction to it. After reading through the tomes both the betrayer and I said that it we were really excited for this one. Flipping the roles of who was working with the house was an awesome concept. Then we started playing. Apparently the designer of this haunt felt like the betrayer needed every advantage so that they could just steamroll everyone else. I understand giving them max mental skills, and only allowing the ghosts to damage the betrayer through mental attacks, but to give the betrayer the item that allows him to reroll any dice for a mental trait roll (The Ceremonial Robes) just makes the betrayer completely OP. Shockingly the betrayer made 4 attacks, and won all 4 easily. I even had the Plant in play and stayed in that room hoping to use it to attack the betrayer but even then he had an item that he got for being the betrayer that helped him.

You made a good point Chuck about items that once used are discarded. We had an instant where the item one of us had was one of the items he got for being betrayer, leaving that player with no items. Does the player draw another item. What's the order of operation.

I am a huge fan of BaHotH, and this haunt had so much potential. It's such a shame how it turned out. Even the betrayer said he didn't have fun playing this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ribeiro
United States
California
flag msg tools
My group felt the same way about this haunt too. It sounded awesome, but the betrayer just ran away with it. I had a different question: in the traitor's tome it gives information on how the traitor wins,and it states that the traitor must take items from the heroes to rooms with the omen symbol, but then the very next bullet point says that the traitor needs to take those items to item rooms to drop the player tokens...so which is it?

Taking the items to omen rooms makes sense because there should already be several on the board, but we picked items rooms because it would make it more difficult for the traitor (we only had one item room on the board at the time) since this scenario was already tilted towards the traitor.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelleon McFarland
United States
flag msg tools
The issue I ran into with this haunt was that I was a hero and encountered an event (because the tome only stated we could ignore the "negative" house effects, but said nothing about ignoring drawing cards like the traitor could despite being the bad guys...). The event "Image in the Mirror" made me lose my item before the traitor had a chance to steal it from me, so he couldn't complete his goal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rasnic
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played this haunt last night and came to the same conclusions. Thematically, one of the best in my opinion. It was super unique and an interesting concept.

However, it desperately needs a revision and playtesting. There are so many ways to break this haunt. It actually happened that two of our items the traitor needed were already in the possession of the ghosts, so we lost two off the bat. If we didn't have 7 items between us, there would have been no way for the traitor to win.

It also turned out that the traitor could only take damage from being attacked via Sanity. Had we known this going it, the game would have devolved into the ghosts running away from the traitor, boosting our Sanity for 8 turns each, going in to attack, running away, etc. What we interpreted as the only way for the ghosts to win was a grind-fest, and that wasn't fun for anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rohde
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
This haunt frustrated our group so much I was driven to /finally/ create an account to post.

So... Like everyone else we loved the idea. Both sides knew something was probably not going to go well. Most of this has already been said, but I thought I would summarize:

- Hero's: Told they can attack with any stat, but then also told: 'Take damage as sanity instead of knowledge'. Huh? Maybe originally it said hero's could attack with either mental stat? But why bother having any of this if only Sanity matters? As soon as the 1st attack by a hero that isn't sanity, everyone knows what's up. (I suppose if you have a really nasty traitor they might tell you they took no damage with no other context).

- Traitor: The omen vs item room mentioned above. Yeah - totally ambiguous.

- Disposable items and hero's - yup - ran into it with dynomite.

- We actually didn't find it entirely unbalanced because we had the white player with insane sanity, and the traitor happened to end up in the basement with no way out (which usually seems to happen to one player in almost all our games [aside: yay dumb-waiter, but none in the basement yet in this game]). So all the hero's were running around maxing sanity - it was instead a grind-fest like another player mentioned. Almost more of a never-ending stalemate.

Anywho.... great idea - but possibly the worse mechanics we've run into since fixing the ambiguities would still seem to leave a very dull sloggy-long-running-fight-fest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is my third haunt of the expansion I've played and probably the last one I'll ever play. First two of the "ghosts" had one shot use items so as soon as we used those the "traitor" immediately had a question on how he was supposed to win. We decided to just tap those items instead of discarding to signify they could be stolen but no longer used. Regardless the traitor just snuffed us all out very quickly because he had the Dog omen in addition so he needed to steal an item and then he could instantly deposit it in an Omen room for a kill.

It seemed unwinnable from the ghost standpoint and had we discarded our one shot use items it would've been a game that could never end because the ghosts are almost never going to beat the traitor given his fun starting items and the traitor can't kill the ghosts without items. I think want they want the ghosts to do is steal the traitor's items so hes more vulnerable.

Ugh, this expansion is just terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.