Subject: Extra Story Book? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I'm really interested in this game as I love the art and the idea of taking the choose your own adventure mechanism and adding a real game to it. One of the only complaints I've heard is that the story book is a little small.

I heard that there were some additional stories being written, and was wondering if that would be available for purchase? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those who backed it on KS received a 2nd storybook in PDF format. Then for the Near and Far KS, Ryan offered if and the KS expansion for it as a pledge level. I think the only other way to get it is at conventions at this point and time. I don't believe there is a third book available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info!

That's unfortunate that it probably won't be more readily available. Maybe it will be released as an expansion at some point. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
The extra book is an expansion. That expansion is now only available through conventions. Also, there is going to be a third installment of the series (above and below is the first and near and far is the second) in the future so continue to follow red raven games and it might be available through that campaign. But I'm not sure who told you the encounter book is short, because they are wrong. I've played this game close to 20 times and even though I have heard repeat stories I never remember the choices or outcomes and so it doesn't really matter. The replay ability is very high in this game. This is by far my favorite game and I highly suggest getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Phil!

That's encouraging to hear. And I just heard that on various reviews, but glad to hear you don't feel that way about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
One of the only complaints I've heard is that the story book is a little small.

I can only guess that this complaint comes from people who repeatedly play the game. There are 150 starting encounters, but because some of them branch, there are 215 in the book. Of the 150, you will use between 15-25 per game, depending on player count. The way the encounter cards are structured, there is a way you can guarantee no repeats for your first six games. Since I'm usually lucky to get more than ten plays out of a game before my group moves on to whatever the new shiny is, we still have quite a few encounters I know we've not seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Those who backed it on KS received a 2nd storybook in PDF format. Then for the Near and Far KS, Ryan offered if and the KS expansion for it as a pledge level. I think the only other way to get it is at conventions at this point and time. I don't believe there is a third book available?

Is this currently available in Essen ? At which booth ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benjilb wrote:
Is this currently available in Essen ? At which booth ?

They're not in Essen, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with the 150 odd starting branches the story book isnt that small.. and tho umay have heard a story and choices before you only now the results that you achieved.. because the reader is different for each encounter you only see all the choices and rewards for the ones you read for someone els, and your own result. I have a pretty good memory but apart from a certain Deja vue occasionally havent found it a problem at all.

This is especially helped as in my normal players stories tend to get somewhat embellished and tailored to the explorer. we read whats there.. but lots of adlibs seem to creep in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 10+ times and I can say that there there have been several games out of those 10 where a repeat encounter has come up. The cave cards get shuffled each came, so really it's the luck of the card you pick/number your roll for what one is chosen/read. Very random, so it's not surprising there are some encounters I've heard 2-3xs now while still not hearing all the ones in the book.

Edit: In a few of those cases, even though others read the book, myself and my partner have remembered the outcomes. This said, it does not take away from the enjoyment of the game for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Edit: In a few of those cases, even though others read the book, myself and my partner have remembered the outcomes. This said, it does not take away from the enjoyment of the game for us.

Even on this point, many encounters have an action choice and most choices have two different pass conditions. This gives from two to four different positive outcomes. Unless you are the reader, you only find out what one of those two outcomes is. There are many encounters our group have experienced, but we only know what the "lower" outcome is and not the better one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
I have played 10+ times and I can say that there there have been several games out of those 10 where a repeat encounter has come up. The cave cards get shuffled each came, so really it's the luck of the card you pick/number your roll for what one is chosen/read. Very random, so it's not surprising there are some encounters I've heard 2-3xs now while still not hearing all the ones in the book.

I'm really glad to hear that. It sounds like it is different the way the encounters work and reward you in this game vs how they work in Tales of the Arabian Nights. Having a huge diversity of stories probably isn't quite as crucial in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.