Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first trip abroad. I will be staying with family friends in Belfast for two weeks. We will be traveling around the island for a good portion of that time. It would be fun to meet some gamers there, perhaps in a pub?

Also, I am a little concerned about a 12 hour plane trip. What would be a good game to play on the plane? I will be going there with my wife and two neighbors. They like to play euros.

Looking forward to the Emerald Isle kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Burgess
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
Re: I am going to Ireland for a visit. Game suggestions for
In my humble opinion, you can never go wrong with backgammon or cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It needs to be something contained, something that doesn't grow or spread, however remember you may be spending time at the airport so a slightly more sprawly card-based game may work well. Myself + wife played San Juan at the airport on our way to Japan.

Lost Cities may work and believe it or not somehow we got Through The Desert to work on plane. Basically strip games down out of their boxes, leave the rules, leave any extra un-needed stuff and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The anti-semitic tendencies in some parts of Dublin run pretty deep, so if you're headed there, you might want to bring a copy of Juden Raus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised that Luke didn't point out that technically you are going to be staying with friends in the United Kingdom (even if you may be visiting Ireland on your trip).

And anything Mr Cranky may say about religious intolerance in Dublin is as nothing to what you have the opportunity to experience in Belfast (even if there are also some shining examples of tolerance there as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christa Haley
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was worried about this when I went to Italy, too. I brought Friday the 13th, Excape, and a deck of cards. Turned out that I didn't sit by anyone I knew on the play so I did my Sudoku. Also there was a thing in the back of the seats that let you watch movies and play games. I played a lot of Tai Pei. You'll probably have an overnight flight going there, so sleep if you can. You'll arrive in the morning mostly refreshed and won't waste the day.

You asked for game suggestions though. Here are mine:
Cribbage
Blokus Duo
Ingenious: Travel Edition

Have a few pints and anything you play will be grand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so Roads & Boats is definitely out!

There are some good suggestions here already. thanks, But...

Where are the Irish boardgamers?

Now that I think about it I don't recall ever seeing any here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some, you can search for geeks by country, but I will say it again, if you are in Belfast you need to search under UK - click on the flag next to my avatar to search. You can search on the city of Belfast or one of the six counties (under state), there seem to be a handful of geeks with recent logons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
If you can manage a trip just outside Belfast, your visit might coincide with a session of a Bangor gaming group - see http://www.bg-anon.co.uk/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this podcast, it's a gamer's trip to Ireland. Pretty cool.

http://highmoonmedia.com/tgt/2007/03/23/episode-02-ireland/

Cheers!

-Donald

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
I am surprised that Luke didn't point out that technically you are going to be staying with friends in the United Kingdom (even if you may be visiting Ireland on your trip).

And anything Mr Cranky may say about religious intolerance in Dublin is as nothing to what you have the opportunity to experience in Belfast (even if there are also some shining examples of tolerance there as well).

My trip to Belfast was a big snooze. At least in the Republic you can get some very decent sushi.

I didn't even notice that OP was going to be staying in Northern Ireland. Calling Northern Ireland the "emerald isle" while staying there seems potentially foolhardy. Might want to call it the "orange isthmus" or something instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a native of Belfast, I would recommend that you avoid any discourse on religion or politics. With regard to the assertion above that N. Ireland is part of the UK, I would have to say that this is a moot point for 45% of the population of the six counties, and saying things like that while you are there therefore has a 45% chance of pissing someone off.

Having said that, if you avoid bringing up these politically sensitive topics, you will find the city to be a friendly, interesting, welcoming and fun place to visit. The sad recent history of N. Ireland is 'normal' for those of us who grew up there, and we tend to find visitors offering their opinions on this matter to be naive and boring at best. Visitors who talk to us about normal stuff are welcomed and entertained.

Regarding games, I should imagine that some sort of card game would be your best bet, given the cramped conditions on an average flight. The following geeklist has some recommendations, along with links to a couple of other geeklists:-

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19931

Have a good holiday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elirlandes wrote:
With regard to the assertion above that N. Ireland is part of the UK, I would have to say that this is a moot point for 45% of the population of the six counties, and saying things like that while you are there therefore has a 45% chance of pissing someone off.

Agree with the point that 45% of people don't like the fact, support your suggestion that the OP doesn't discuss it whilst there.

But it is a fact and one worth remembering in terms of planning a trip which was the point I was banging on about (e.g. pack sterling as well as euros, you need to dial international when phoning between Belfast and Dublin etc). That being said I wouldn't worry too much about delays at border crossings these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I realize the sensitive nature of politics in N. Ireland and I am sure I can avoid talking about it.

I thought I mentioned that I will be staying in Belfast but traveling to other parts of the island on this visit. Mostly visiting the North West and South East. Some of these longer excursions will require us to spend the night at a hotel. Some of the trips will be day trips around Northern Ireland. So I really am going to see much of the Emerald Isle as well as the Orange isthmus. I guess I will avoid either term while there, thanks. I think I'll have more fun in Belfast as well, as long as I am not looking for sushi. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to spend a Summer in Ireland and had an amazing time, so I am very jealous of your trip. I do agree that discussing politics are religion there might not be great, but you might get the opportunity to get some opinions of the locals. Things were a lot more tense when I was there, but even so I had an excellent trip and I very much enjoyed Belfast.

As for Dublin, I would move there in a heartbeat if I could. You've got your traces of antisemitism in many places these days, so Dublin is not alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brü Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would suggest a good game of Doom or perhaps even Descent.
You could weave the dungeon amongst all the passengers and seats - heck, you could even make some of the passengers monsters.
Involve even more fellow passengers by offering bets on the outcome of the game. "$100 if the evil side wins!"
You do have 12 hours to kill, plus as an added bonus, this would be one plane ride you won't soon forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:

Hehehe my mistake.
Belfast is in Northern Ireland which isn't actually part of Eire (Republic Of Ireland) but is in fact a part of the United Kingdom (while Eire is it's own politically separate country!)

Still, a quick and easy jaunt down to the land of Guinness would hardly be out of the question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Still, a quick and easy jaunt down to the land of Guinness would hardly be out of the question!

Sadly, I am unable to drink Guinness. I will partake in a good Irish Whisky. Black Bush? Do you have any recommendations on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Beyak wrote:
Ok, so Roads & Boats is definitely out!

There are some good suggestions here already. thanks, But...

Now that I think about it I don't recall ever seeing any here.

Speaking for myself, offline during the development of this thread. I hope you have a great time over here.

Although politicians and activists make much of names and symbols, most of us do not go around being hyper-sensitive on such matters, particularly with welcome guests to the island and gamers regularly attend events north and south of the border and east and west of the Irish Sea.

Our small gaming group BGA meet in Bangor fortnightly on Saturdays, and I'll send you a personal mail to see if we can arrange something during your stay.

There is also a large gaming group in the university area in Belfast who meet each Monday night, Tabletop North - www.tabletopnorth.org

They major on RPGs and miniatures, but I know they have some enthusiastic boardgamers too.

I'm not a big whiskey drinker, but if you have the time visit the Bushmills distillery on the North Coast www.bushmills.com

In peace

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure you go see the Giant's Causeway, and bring along lifesize Catan pieces. That thing would make a cool 3-D Catan layout. Make sure they're waterproof, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bushmills distillery is definitely worth a visit. The Giant's Causeway and Carrickarede rope bridge are very close by and also well worth a trip - basically, the whole of the North Antrim coast is lovely.

The Ards peninsula and Strangford Lough are also beautiful, and the ferry between Strangford and Portaferry is worth going on.

If in the North West, Donegal town and surrounding area are beautiful and incredibly friendly. Ardara is a particularly nice village in this area, and Nancy's Bar in Ardara would be the place to go for your whiskey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

There's none. Well, not many compared to across the water in, say, England or France.

I lived there for four years (Dublin) from 97-2000 and have to say the gaming situation is not entirely vibrant. N Ireland may have more clubs, but the Republic seems limited to the odd RPG/Warhammer crew. I only ever saw two (yes, two) euros on sale in Dublin and had to import from London. I did, however, introduce as many friends as I could to Settlers and I noticed that the Irish had a few representatives in the World Settlers tournie - even if they did sound suspiciously Continental.

Limerick, being a pretty large university town, seems to have the best gaming community.

Most Irish I tried to introduce games to either didn't "get" them or looked vaguely wary at the box and politely declined. Most seemed to prefer cards.

Unsure of your claim to play games in a pub! If it's summer, most of them will be too busy in the evening and if you're not continually drinking, you could be "encouraged" to vacat your table. Happened to my Spanish g/f (now wife) several times in Dublin. They are also fairly dark places at the best of times.

I'll be over again this June (can't wait) but I loved the N Antrim coast, particularly cycling around Bangor and the Giant's Causeway. Donegal is spectacular, if windy, wet and cold - even in summer. My tips else where in Ireland: The Burren in Co Clare, Glendalough monastery, Cashel town, Wicklow Mountains and West Cork. Most would be very good backdrops for BGG pics.

As for the plane, forget about it. I've tried boardgames and card games on the plane, and it never works. The fold down tables are too small. I think cards that don't need to be spread out are the most successful and vaguely remember playing several games of Mamma Mia to completion. But 12 hours is nothing - it'll take me 25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As a native of Belfast, I would recommend that you avoid any discourse on religion or politics.

Agreed. I found Belfast quite similar to Melbourne, actually, and it's a pretty if slightly dull (just like Melbourne) town - good nightlife though.

However, you can't take things for granted. I had stones thrown at me while driving through Catholic West Belfast (not sure why) and my friend was interrogated by three burly men in Protestant West Belfast who wanted to know his surname (?) and were apparently happy it was "Weir". A Spanish friend was told to "watch it" by a doorman when he kept talking during a rebel song in a Belfast pub and I saw more soldiers in a confined space than I have ever seen before leading up to a march by the Orange Order. But I still really enjoyed the North!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red_gamster wrote:
My friend was interrogated by three burly men in Protestant West Belfast who wanted to know his surname (?)

In many areas of ethnic or religious strife, where the communities have lived closely together for years and accasionally swapped genes, it may be impossible to peg an individual to one 'side' or the other by their physical appearance. Commonly, surnames are used in these areas to decide 'which side you are on'. Look at recent conflicts in the Balkans, the Subcontinent and Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. I will be visiting the Antrim coast and Bushmills distillery. I plan to see Giant's Causeway and Carrickarede rope bridge as well. Perhaps I will not do much gaming afterall but I will continue to try.

I will contact the group in Bangor and possibly get a chance to meet them. This vacation is coming up very quickly. I am looking forward to the trip and meeting "the Irish".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.