Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John W
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the hype for A Feast for Odin I realized I don't actually have one of these hybrid/sandbox type games and wanted to give one a go.

Looking for:
• No/Low Conflict.
• Low stress/pressure (Already have and enjoy Agricola).
• Playtime for 60-90 minutes.
• Best at 2 players.
• Sandbox (All, or nearly all, options available from the start).

So far the only ones I know of are:
A Feast for Odin
Caverna: The Cave Farmers
Fields of Arle

Would love to hear opinions from someone who has played these and if there was one that stood out from the rest. Or if you know of a better one that's not on the list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't say anything about AFfO (it's in shipment to me now!), but FoA is by far my favorite game in the category you describe. If you want another suggestion, then check out Ora et Labora. Oh yeah: Terraforming Mars fits pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrightboy wrote:
Looking for:
• No/Low Conflict.
• Low stress/pressure (Already have and enjoy Agricola).
• Playtime for 60-90 minutes.
• Best at 2 players.
• Sandbox (All, or nearly all, options available from the start).

A Feast for Odin
Fields of Arle

Would love to hear opinions from someone who has played these and if there was one that stood out from the rest. Or if you know of a better one that's not on the list!

I have not played any of these games on your list, but I have a game which still fits your criteria, although it will probably be a quite different game experience for you:

Tales of the Arabian Nights

No/Low Conflict.
Low stress/pressure.
Playtime for 60-90 minutes.
Best at 2 players.
Sandbox (All, or nearly all, options available from the start).

The video review sums up the pros and cons of this game really well. So if you are looking for something quite different that is less about a competitive game and more about a funny and enjoyable event, this might be for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo Tales Of Arabian Nights is not sandbox. To me sandbox suggests freedom and control over what you do. Imo ToAN gives very little control.

Of your 3, I have only played and enjoyed Caverna. Imo it can get samey after 20 ish plays and wish it had more variance. There are two popular variants on its forums here though.

I suggest looking into Hansa Teutonica or a Civ game. HT let's you play anywhere on a wide board and grow various technologies in your own choice. Theme is bleh for most though but mechanics are amazingggg.

Civ imo many give something close to sandbox, though it can be a bit long. Various techs and usually choice of science/military/culture combination to get points or win conditions so there's a lot of freedom how you grow your ppls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alternatively does anyone have a recommendation for something that falls under "Agricola but with conflict"? I'm just curious to see if there is something like that out there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
ch82 wrote:
Alternatively does anyone have a recommendation for something that falls under "Agricola but with conflict"? I'm just curious to see if there is something like that out there

Did you type that right? Agricola can have plenty of conflict, especially at two players. Are you looking for a 4X farming game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ch82 wrote:

If you want a Worker Placement game where you can attack others, check out Empires Age of Discovery and Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora.

I am not a Uwe fan (if you know my views on Agricola) yet this one hits the spot because it's a sandbox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you want a Worker Placement game where you can attack others, check out Empires Age of Discovery and Caylus.

Or Lancaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora is another good Uwe pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
ch82 wrote:

Did you type that right? Agricola can have plenty of conflict, especially at two players. Are you looking for a 4X farming game?

yea agricola can be as brutal as you want it to be, especially 2p.

but if you want a 4x farming game maybe check out Scythe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ch82 wrote:

Roads & Boats can be as nice or as attack-y as you want to play it - you can go take goods (and build walls to protect yourself), or you can stay on your own side in a peaceful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrightboy wrote:
With all the hype for A Feast for Odin

A Feast for Odin
Fields of Arle

These are all good choices.
All of these games offer so many things to do each round, that there is only a bit of conflict in form of blocking certain spaces of by grabbing certain things (like resources, lifestock, or buildings).
Naturally the amount of conflict increases with player count. Fields of Arle is for 1-2 players only, A Feast for Odin for 1-4 players, and Caverna for 1-7 players, making the latter probably the one with the most conflict potential.

A Feast of Odin offers likely the most different paths to victory which would make it in my view the game with the least direct conflict in a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ch82 wrote:

Check out Argent. Read Mina's review of the game with 2 playres.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1516170/minas-not-so-mini-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Between Caverna and Fields of Arle, I would definitely recommend Fields of Arle since you play with 2. It's both deeper and more satisfyingly sandbox-y versus Caverna. Caverna gives you lots of choices but you can't take them as far as FoA.

I saw a Rahdo runthrough video of Ora et Labora and it looks good too.

On the opposite spectrum, Glass Roads has lots of interaction and also plays very well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.