T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: This Game Needs No Scoring System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like the scoring of T.I.M.E. Stories. IMHO it adds a game mechanic that might make you play the game in a less enjoyable way, by just concentrate on getting a good score. And I doubt this was the designers' intend.

I am rather enjoying playing the game discovering all those different corners of a T.I.M.E. story, which especially made Asylum and the Prophecy great experiences because there was so much stuff going on. Playing like we do in our group may cost an additional run each story. Maybe even two. But it gives us access to all the variety provided by a scenario. We can only access this variety by slightly ignoring the aims of the agency (efficiency at low cost) which actually is represented by the scoring - but so what. It seems much more interesting to me to try something else in a new run than to do everything again just because it worked the run before (although you sometimes have to). And btw you get some more well worth playing time per scenario by doing so.

I won't play a scenario twice just to tweak my team's score although I can at least think of people interested in optimizing their runs like this by playing a story again and again and by doing so converting the game to a 'usual' cooperative game where you can be good/get better at.

Budgeting time units works for our group without scoring in mind. So I just find it to be superfluous and we would definitely enjoy T.I.M.E. just as we do if there was no scoring at all.

Sure, we do the scoring after a finished scenario anyway - but really just to get the according beacons and primarily to thematically deal with Bob being angry with us again since we took too long

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seqcon wrote:
I do not like the scoring of T.I.M.E. Stories. IMHO it adds a game mechanic that might make you play the game in a less enjoyable way, by just concentrate on getting a good score.
We never played to have a perfect score, we looked around followed almost every red herring and usually took many runs (except for PoD wehere we had luck). Yes, at the end we get scored and received a token but never used those so far. In other words: I don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly doesn't drive our decision making but we do enjoy tallying up at the end and collecting our prizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
seqcon wrote:
I do not like the scoring of T.I.M.E. Stories. IMHO it adds a game mechanic that might make you play the game in a less enjoyable way, by just concentrate on getting a good score. And I doubt this was the designers' intend.

I am rather enjoying playing the game discovering all those different corners of a T.I.M.E. story, which especially made Asylum and the Prophecy great experiences because there was so much stuff going on.

Without the pressure of maximizing your score, there's no tension, no challenge; your choices don't matter because you'll just be back in another run to choose differently.

I know there are large areas of Prophecy we never saw, but I don't care; if I want to know what's on all the cards, I can just get them out and read straight through them. Our focus on completing the mission as efficiently as possible is what made it so much fun; to me, blundering through traps & deliberate time-sinks without consequence doesn't sound like fun at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried to be fast, but we didn't cared much about our score. It was nice to get some beacon (and I used one in PoD), but that was not the reason we wanted to finish fast. It was more that Bob pushed us to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I already mentioned in another thread:

The main objective of the scoring card should refer to the plot points of the story and what you achieved during your mission - side quests, solving additional tasks, etc.
You could even think about giving out tokens or confront you with consequences of your actions if the adventure refers to a cycle (already using this)...

I don't think that there would be no tension without earning mission points - when I think of "Black Knight", simply solving it is reward enough; and for the official scenarios, it was just like Jack said...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris P
msg tools
mbmbmb
We play it without really using the score. We don't carry anything over to the next game and don't do anything with the score at all in our choices.

It's nice they added something to the game to carry over, but I don't really care for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeGon wrote:
Like I already mentioned in another thread:

The main objective of the scoring card should refer to the plot points of the story and what you achieved during your mission - side quests, solving additional tasks, etc.
You could even think about giving out tokens or confront you with consequences of your actions if the adventure refers to a cycle (already using this)...

I don't think that there would be no tension without earning mission points - when I think of "Black Knight", simply solving it is reward enough; and for the official scenarios, it was just like Jack said...
This reminds me of the scoring system used in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, where when you think you have solved the case(s), you are given a quiz. Whether you can answer some of the questions depends on your approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I think I agree with you but I'm not sure I know how to score correctly lol. Has anyone Actually beat the base game with more than 40MP?? Was it actually an enjoyable experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I think if you don't like scoring.

Don't do it.

I played TIME Stories + Couple Expansions few times now, not once did I or felt the need to do the scoring at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've refined my own scenario scoring cards since my last comment - there are several tokens to get and to lose depending on your choices during that mission.

Generally, this card is very useful to give technical advise to make the game round (like technical advise given in the beginning through the Base). This was used in the official scenario UtM as well, if I remember correctly:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You got the barcode for the audio web message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
seqcon wrote:

I am rather enjoying playing the game discovering all those different corners of a T.I.M.E. story, which especially made Asylum and the Prophecy great experiences because there was so much stuff going on.

Without the pressure of maximizing your score, there's no tension, no challenge; your choices don't matter because you'll just be back in another run to choose differently.

I know there are large areas of Prophecy we never saw, but I don't care; if I want to know what's on all the cards, I can just get them out and read straight through them. Our focus on completing the mission as efficiently as possible is what made it so much fun; to me, blundering through traps & deliberate time-sinks without consequence doesn't sound like fun at all.

Disagree. Your choices matter because they matter within the story. I think they actually don't matter if you are trying to make it an efficiency game. You can run through most of the adventures as many times as you want, trying to figure out the most efficient order in which to flip the locations and hope you roll a 1 on the Captains Die. I'd rather take a trigonometry test, or with less hyperbole, I'd rather enjoy the story like it was a real adventure, not Pandemic Junior. I would prefer they all ended with the same mechanic as Asylum, so that you actually couldn't just keep playing it over and over to figure out the perfect order. 3 run-throughs is more than enough.

I'd also never flip a card if I have not visited that location in game. Completely eliminates immersion. To each their own I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.