Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have a couple other friends (couples) that we like to have dinner and game with.

Most of the wives like lighter games (codenames, king of Tokyo, love letter, Kodama, Takenoko, Sushi Go etc)...the guys like everything from light to heavier.

Looking for some fun games that could really lend to the couples dynamic..either teams, or couples, or coop. Everyone vs everyone is ok, too, but we have a bunch of those already.

I have Mysterium and will be trying that with them, I suspect they will like games like that (Dixit, etc)...as they really love Codenames.

I'm also going to try Junk Art with them. I also have The Climbers so that takes care of tactile/dexterity.

Any recommendations would be great, something different enough from the above games, but in the same weight category. Needs to play well/best with at least 6 people.

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is decent.
I like Bunny Bunny Moose Moose but people leave the table with really strong opinions about that one.
For Sale is good with 6.
No thanks is a fine filler for 6 players.
Mission Red Planet is great with 6.
I have played 5 player Hyperborea and thought it was great and 6 seems quite good as well if everyone knew the game already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Green
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ticket to Ride: Asia map involves 2-person teams and plays 6.

Happy Pigs is a light economic game with simultaneous action selection that plays nicely with 6.

Dark Moon is great if the hidden role mechanism is something your group likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for chaotic fun!

Colt Express
Flick 'em Up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Fake Artist Goes to New York

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do an Advanced Search and look for the mechanic "Partnerships". Sort by rank, and this will show you the most popular partnership games.

Shadows over Camelot isn't that difficult. Players are nominally working cooperatively, though there may be a traitor in the mix. My only hesitation is that the person playing the traitor for the first time may be uncertain of what to do.

The Resistance is a fairly simple game. We've played it a few times as a party game. There are two teams, though only one side knows who their team members are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Dog

It's a partner variant of Sorry/Pachisi that involves trading a number of cards each turn with your partner without directly communicating with your partner what you need. While luck is a part of the game, a skillful team will beat inexperienced players due to how well they trade cards.

If I had a group of three couples this is most definitely a game I would bring to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parchman
United States
Henderson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Power Grid is easy to teach and plays that many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I haven't played it, but if you all have a sense of humour about gender roles, Ladies & Gentlemen might be worth a look as it's actually played in pairs (each pair consists of asymmetric male and female roles Plays 4-10, 6-7 best (according to BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fisher
United States
east lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our go to games for our 3 couple gaming nights...

Between Two Cities, very quick filler type with some co-op but competitive. Nice start to an evening.
Lords of Vegas, we play as 3 two player teams. Works really well for our group. game always has woo-hoo moments due to dice rolling.
Noble Treachery: The Last Alliance, another game with plenty of woo-hoo moments, cards and dice. Fortunes change fast and everyone has a chance right up to the end.
Libertalia, arrrr, get you pirate on! Another good one for our group. A little take that which leads to more laughs than scowls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try out Zombicide: Black Plague. It's light, pure co-op, fun and plays best with 6 players. In fact most missions require 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gut Shot Games
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
www.gutshotgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Telestrations? We've played that with friends and have had a really good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold is good for groups of that size and has simple rules. It's a push your luck game, so folks get invested in seeing who makes it out with the biggest stash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders
Rise of Augustus
BANG! The Dice Game
Bohnanza
Camel Up
Citadels
Monikers or Time's Up!
Pit
RoboRally
Shadows over Camelot
Spyfall
Secret Hitler
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia team asia
Zombicide: Black Plague
Wizard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

The Resistance is a fairly simple game. We've played it a few times as a party game. There are two teams, though only one side knows who their team members are.

In my view, you need no other suggestions. But I would add One Night Ultimate Werewolf and/or its progeny. Also +1 Spyfall.

And give Citadels (2016 edition) a look as well. Really good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
IME if I have a group of couples with a few of the people being non-gamers I don't bring anything to the table that's heavier than a 2 on the BGG scale and I don't try anything that's too demanding for more reserved people. Perhaps I've misread the requirements of the OP, but to me the majority of suggestions in this thread are not going to work well. And I say that as someone who personally likes a lot of the suggestions. But I've also had a lot of crash and burn moments with non-gamers. I've seen Colt Express go down in flames because it was just too foreign to people who aren't already in the hobby.

IME, light, easy to learn, with some down time for bantering and side talk are the best type of games for these situations. I suggested Dog because it's a step up from something a lot of people already know and it creates a a social environment where you can banter about the game or go off topic at times.

You generally have to go with the lowest common denominator. If the husbands like heavier games that doesn't matter if the wives don't.

I think it would help if the OP was a bit more clear about his needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
IME if I have a group of couples with a few of the people being non-gamers I don't bring anything to the table that's heavier than a 2 on the BGG scale and I don't try anything that's too demanding for more reserved people. Perhaps I've misread the requirements of the OP, but to me the majority of suggestions in this thread are not going to work well. And I say that as someone who personally likes a lot of the suggestions. But I've also had a lot of crash and burn moments with non-gamers. I've seen Colt Express go down in flames because it was just too foreign to people who aren't already in the hobby.

IME, light, easy to learn, with some down time for bantering and side talk are the best type of games for these situations. I suggested Dog because it's a step up from something a lot of people already know and it creates a a social environment where you can banter about the game or go off topic at times.

You generally have to go with the lowest common denominator. If the husbands like heavier games that doesn't matter if the wives don't.

I think it would help if the OP was a bit more clear about his needs.

Absolutely. I appreciate all of the recs, but yes, many of these will be too "Gamer" or too heavy. Here are a list of games I've pulled from recommendations on this thread that I think will be great:

Camel up
A Fake Artist Goes to NY
Ladies and Gentlemen
telestrations
Incan Gold
Spyfall

I gave a lot of ideas of weight in my OP based off the games I mentioned.

There are a lot of good recommendations here, nonetheless, but yes, staying at Codenames, Junk Art, Love Letter and Mysterium weights, would be best. Maybe weight of 2.25 or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Bohnanza is decent.
I like Bunny Bunny Moose Moose but people leave the table with really strong opinions about that one.
For Sale is good with 6.
No thanks is a fine filler for 6 players.
Mission Red Planet is great with 6.
I have played 5 player Hyperborea and thought it was great and 6 seems quite good as well if everyone knew the game already.

Thanks! Although I"m pretty sure No THanks plays 5 max?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia
It includes playing in teams of 2.

asgelb wrote:
Thanks! Although I"m pretty sure No THanks plays 5 max?

It depends on the version you have. My (german) edition plays up to 7. But the only difference is the number of chips you got in your box, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.