Pandemic Iberia» Forums » Rules

Subject: arrows on the map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this at Essen and wanting to try it, we cannot find any mention of the arrows on the map (like Toledo has a black arrow pointing East) in the rulebook. Any ideas what they do? Are they relevant for the base game/two modules described or stuff for further expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibmaatsuki wrote:
Bought this at Essen and wanting to try it, we cannot find any mention of the arrows on the map (like Toledo has a black arrow pointing East) in the rulebook. Any ideas what they do? Are they relevant for the base game/two modules described or stuff for further expansions?

Apparently it indicates where that city actually is geographically. Poor graphic design IMHO. Other Pandemic versions accomplished this without arrows, in a more intuitive fashion.

Some discussion on it here:

Egregious errors in place names: too late for Zman to correct them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Gibmaatsuki wrote:

Apparently it indicates where that city actually is geographically. Poor graphic design IMHO. Other Pandemic versions accomplished this without arrows, in a more intuitive fashion.

Some discussion on it here:

Egregious errors in place names: too late for Zman to correct them?

Thank you. One sentence in the rules ("not relevant for gameplay") would have helped ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flo bob
Germany
flag msg tools
we had the same issues at the first game ... the rules should clarify this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Helms
msg tools
Ah. Perfect. Thanks. We sat for the entire game guessing and reading every d**n word in the rules looking for the meaning. (Perhaps it was a clever trick in that regard: "let's put some random arrows on the board...it'll drive 'Em crazy looking for it in the rules book.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
RomFish wrote:
Ah. Perfect. Thanks. We sat for the entire game guessing and reading every d**n word in the rules looking for the meaning. (Perhaps it was a clever trick in that regard: "let's put some random arrows on the board...it'll drive 'Em crazy looking for it in the rules book.")

Humans have an instinctive attraction and compulsion towards arrows for some reason. I read an interview with someone who works for one of those "click-bait" sites there they show misleading headlines/photos to just get you to their site... he said whenever a photo has an arrow or a circle drawn on top of it (and pointing to nothing in particular), the click-through rate goes through the roof vs when the arrow isn't there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really saw this to be an issue in the game, since other Pandemic games had lines pointing to their correct location. But, I played it recently with some new people (not new to pandemic though) and they asked what those arrows meant. I think the biggest culprit regarding the arrows is the 3(4?) blue city arrows all in a line on the left of the map, all pointing in the same direction, that kind of makes you think it means something else than what it is.

--

"I hate arrows. They try to tell me which direction to go. It's like 'I ain't going that way, line with two thirds of a triangle on the end!'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.