Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pandemic Iberia» Forums » Rules

Subject: arrows on the map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this at Essen and wanting to try it, we cannot find any mention of the arrows on the map (like Toledo has a black arrow pointing East) in the rulebook. Any ideas what they do? Are they relevant for the base game/two modules described or stuff for further expansions?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibmaatsuki wrote:
Bought this at Essen and wanting to try it, we cannot find any mention of the arrows on the map (like Toledo has a black arrow pointing East) in the rulebook. Any ideas what they do? Are they relevant for the base game/two modules described or stuff for further expansions?


Apparently it indicates where that city actually is geographically. Poor graphic design IMHO. Other Pandemic versions accomplished this without arrows, in a more intuitive fashion.

Some discussion on it here:

Egregious errors in place names: too late for Zman to correct them?
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Gibmaatsuki wrote:
Bought this at Essen and wanting to try it, we cannot find any mention of the arrows on the map (like Toledo has a black arrow pointing East) in the rulebook. Any ideas what they do? Are they relevant for the base game/two modules described or stuff for further expansions?


Apparently it indicates where that city actually is geographically. Poor graphic design IMHO. Other Pandemic versions accomplished this without arrows, in a more intuitive fashion.

Some discussion on it here:

Egregious errors in place names: too late for Zman to correct them?


Thank you. One sentence in the rules ("not relevant for gameplay") would have helped ...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flo bob
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
we had the same issues at the first game ... the rules should clarify this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Helms

Richmond
Virginia
msg tools
Ah. Perfect. Thanks. We sat for the entire game guessing and reading every d**n word in the rules looking for the meaning. (Perhaps it was a clever trick in that regard: "let's put some random arrows on the board...it'll drive 'Em crazy looking for it in the rules book.")
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RomFish wrote:
Ah. Perfect. Thanks. We sat for the entire game guessing and reading every d**n word in the rules looking for the meaning. (Perhaps it was a clever trick in that regard: "let's put some random arrows on the board...it'll drive 'Em crazy looking for it in the rules book.")




Humans have an instinctive attraction and compulsion towards arrows for some reason. I read an interview with someone who works for one of those "click-bait" sites there they show misleading headlines/photos to just get you to their site... he said whenever a photo has an arrow or a circle drawn on top of it (and pointing to nothing in particular), the click-through rate goes through the roof vs when the arrow isn't there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really saw this to be an issue in the game, since other Pandemic games had lines pointing to their correct location. But, I played it recently with some new people (not new to pandemic though) and they asked what those arrows meant. I think the biggest culprit regarding the arrows is the 3(4?) blue city arrows all in a line on the left of the map, all pointing in the same direction, that kind of makes you think it means something else than what it is.

--

"I hate arrows. They try to tell me which direction to go. It's like 'I ain't going that way, line with two thirds of a triangle on the end!'"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.