Subject: Thoughts on the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
thomas Storness-Bliss
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
What do you think of the models? The game design? Improvements they could make? What do you think it's BGG rank will be? How does the game play compare to other games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
saw the kickstarter, watched the video, read the blurbs.

I came to the conclusion that without the actual Lovecraft connection, this is just another example of tentacle blobs and melty humans.

I'd rather face generic goblins and trolls than another Lovecraft knockoff with no soul. The 7 sins one felt the same way to me. Blobs just to have blobs, and melted flesh just to have it.

And I loved "Leviathan" in all its cheesy glory.

So there you have it, give me the depth of the lovecraft mythos or go home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many melty humans and tentacle blobs- laden board games do you currently own?

I'm not sure if I've met my quota yet, as I don't own any of the FFG Lovecraftian minis- heavy games.

Besides those, all I can think of is The Others and Cthulhu Wars, which differ quite significantly than this in terms of gameplay as well as monster designs. Fireteam Zero as well, to a lesser degree, but the enemies in that are a bit more unique.

I personally hope to see more of the underwater aspect explored. If it means we can have sea life (twisted or not) cause trouble, especially as tiles start to flood, I'd be quite happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
illiterate bookworm wrote:
How many melty humans and tentacle blobs- laden board games do you currently own?

I'm not sure if I've met my quota yet, as I don't own any of the FFG Lovecraftian minis- heavy games.

Besides those, all I can think of is The Others and Cthulhu Wars, which differ quite significantly than this in terms of gameplay as well as monster designs. Fireteam Zero as well, to a lesser degree, but the enemies in that are a bit more unique.

I personally hope to see more of the underwater aspect explored. If it means we can have sea life (twisted or not) cause trouble, especially as tiles start to flood, I'd be quite happy.

I'm a Call of Cthulhu player from way back when the game came in a box. I own Cthulhu Wars. I have played dozens of computer/video games with melty people and tentacle blobs. This new crop of games is more of the same. A group of heavily armed people go up against terror from another dimension (Hell, aliens, monsters from the Id, whatever). As a dungeon crawler trope, it just hasn't been done well. A true investigation and crawl needs to be developed. Not just hunt the keys and shoot bad guys.

I keep hoping with the rise of legacy games, someone will have the idea of doing one. Time Stories was almost there but then messed it up with paper thin plots and the whole time mechanic. I would love to see a horror dungeon crawler with expansions that are new stories and not just more bad guys to gun down with q MacGuffin thrown in to give you a reason to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
illiterate bookworm wrote:
Besides those, all I can think of is The Others and Cthulhu Wars, which differ quite significantly than this in terms of gameplay as well as monster designs.

Just remember that DM isn't being sold by the same companies behind Others and Cthulhu Wars. CW was pretty risky as well, as it was backed only by Sandy Petersen's reputation in the industry, as opposed to the retail presence and KS experience CMON has.

I think Jason has a point. While I would back this project for the miniatures (except I already have too many to paint!), boardgames have had problems conveying a sense of horror. The Lovecraftian games carry the investigation and New England aspect of Lovecraft, while other horror games need to do something like this from scratch. In a way, horror faces similar challenges as science fiction does, namely some sort of world building. Contrast this to generic fantasy games, where this expectation isn't particularly necessary.

Myself, I'm looking forward to Mythos Tales, which should hit retail soon enough. No miniatures, but I've played the first free PnP's and they've been an immersive experience far better than any horror boardgame I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha M
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Read the rules, it seems like a solid Zombicide: Black Plague clone, with the biggest difference being the activation order. This is not a bad thing, as I rather like Zombicide: Black Plague. And since the game, after all delays, comes out probably summer of 2018, I have played Z:BP enough to give this a go.

Then comes the theme. I like the whole thing about Deep Water mining facility setting. Have not played a game with that theme before.

Minis, they mostly look good, and by mostly, I mean the humans and the gear. The monsters seem to be like The Others: 7 Sins, where they are just horrible, bland, and generally uninteresting things. I don't even know how to paint those blobs of flesh and tentacles.

In overall, the game looks ok, part from the super bland and generic monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
There won't be Cthulhu mythos, but its atmosphere of horror/sci-fi is pretty much there, cf the mini-story in this update news:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-ma...

I'm confident we won't have a simple "let's shoot tentacles or die a horrible death trying" kind of game.

A quote I liked from the chat:
Quote:

I think the combination of monsters adds a lot to the replayability, even if there is a fixed number of scenarios (12 or so) to start. Unlike zombicide (which I will use an as example), the "enemies" are virtually all the same. However, in this game, each monster seems to operate completely differently. So, mixing the monster types in with the scenarios adds a lot of variety. Then, on top of that, the epic monsters seem to add another level that players may need to worry about. Just my thoughts on the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakuuuu wrote:
I'm confident we won't have a simple "let's shoot tentacles or die a horrible death trying" kind of game.

I'm confident we WILL have that sort of game! I'm not convinced all the monsters are going to have totally different behaviour.

Nothin' wrong with shooting tentacles, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
Looking at the variety of monsters, there can only be different behaviors. Even if some of the minions would move once, twice or thrice like in zombicide, there is just too many more enemie miniatures to make them almost all the same, it would be nonsensical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game LOOKS awesome. Plenty of miniatures and decent artwork. And like a poster stated above, it's another game with lots of twisted monsters. I'll pass. Wish the game a lot of luck though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.